VR PlayStation VR Thread

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by Crunch, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    A place for VR discussion.

This isn't a commentary, but an honest & sincere personal experience:

Share your own, ask questions or generally chat about the future of sim racing!
    zuluwoffle, JonoStan96 and rossi0nsx like this.
  2. zuluwoffle

zuluwoffle Team Driver

PSN ID
    zuluwoffle
    Hey Crunch, I grabbed Driveclub VR as well and massively impressed with the polished look in the cockpits and also just how natural it felt to spot apexes, check where cars are next to you etc. my only gripe with it and I'd be interested to see if you experienced the same thing was the general blurriness of the graphics. So many other VR titles have been fine with the graphics but this was the worst by far for me and it's a bit disappointing so much so I'm taking it back and waiting for GT Sport.

Anyway interested to hear what you thought of that. Also for a bit of fun, jump into a tin top and stick your head through the roof haha.
    Crunch and stucar17 like this.
  3. rossi0nsx

rossi0nsx Rookie

PSN ID
    rossi0nsx
    I already had drive club season pass so the vr version was only $25
    zuluwoffle likes this.
  4. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    I didn't buy Driveclub VR - I just played the demo. I agree with the blurry graphics though; no other title is that poor, but I'm definitely not critical, because it's a miracle that the PS4 is able to render all the cockpit details.

But yes, I am also like you & waiting for GT Sport. A familiar facade (Gran Turismo franchise) & handling I know fairly intimately will be a better gauge than a game I have zero experience with (Driveclub).

after you get used to the new sensation, it's perfectly natural. When adjusting the in-game seat up & down, if you get it identical to where you're holding your in-real-life wheel, it's pure magic.

It's the next two decades of sim racing technology, without a doubt. Any non-believers should get on board - & leave your triple screens behind.
    I played the VR experience in Tomb Raider, & the sheer presence you feel is incredible. So scary when you look behind you & it's dark (aiming your torch with Dualshock 4 controller).
    I also recommend Headmaster & TumbleVR off the demo.
    zuluwoffle likes this.
  5. rossi0nsx

rossi0nsx Rookie

PSN ID
    rossi0nsx
    I'm pretty impressed with eve valkyrie as well
    zuluwoffle likes this.
  6. zuluwoffle

zuluwoffle Team Driver

PSN ID
    zuluwoffle
    Eve, RIGS, Until Dawn, Batman and Allumette have by far been the best launch titles so far. Rez infinite is also a bit of fun along with Headmaster.
  7. CobMcCool

CobMcCool Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    CobMcCool
    Played the driveclub vr demo, and was impressed sitting in the vr car and in my rig, felt and looked cool, felt as if my hands were actually on the wheel of the vr car, but really blurry, then I took off down the road and it works well, but unfortunately after about 5 minutes I had to stop as I started feeling too sick to continue, hopefully I don't suffer from this too much with other games.
  8. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    The EVE demo was piss poor, so I won't be purchasing that, but I agree that the graphics and feel of it was quite impressive.

Have you played all those games @zuluwoffle ? I need to research a few more of them because I am definitely craving more VR experiences (what with only owning the demo and Tomb Raider).
    zuluwoffle likes this.
  9. zuluwoffle

zuluwoffle Team Driver

PSN ID
    zuluwoffle
    Yeah played them all Crunch. I'm on break from uni at the moment so trying to play/experience as many as possible haha. Here is what I've played so far.

Eve Valkyrie
    Driveclub VR
    until Dawn Rush of Blood
    VR Worlds
    RIGS
    batman VR
    Headmaster
    Thumper
    Tumble VR
    Allumette
    Job Simulator
    Invasion
    Rez Infinite
    Here they lie
    Resident Evil Kitchen
    Hatsune Miku: VR future live (thank god that one was free, download it though cause I guarantee you'll be wondering what drugs you're on haha)

I ended up getting some Move controllers today as well and damn they are a lot of fun to use. In London Heist (VR Worlds), I smoked a cigar, lovingly stroked a guy's face while he was trying to intimidate me, tried burning a table etc. The entertainment value of doing stuff like is worth the outlay imo haha.

Keep an eye on the PS Store cause they are releasing new stuff everyday and if you can be bothered, set up a US PS Store account to download demos from there as well.
    Crunch likes this.
  10. garyw61

garyw61 Gary Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    Had exactly the same experience. Driveclub is just a blurfest. I felt ok driving the BAC mono, but after 5 minutes in the cockpit of one of the hot hatches I felt quite ill indeed.

Headmaster is very addictive though!
    Crunch and zuluwoffle like this.
  11. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    I think the key to finding your VR legs (in sim racing) is to have a strategy as to what you'll try first.

i.e. my suggestion is a slower car with a roof on a flat track. Start off with no or few AI and progressively ramp things up.
    Crunch likes this.
  12. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
  13. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    Ozglenn, incey and George like this.
  14. AroGantz

AroGantz Team Driver

PSN ID
    AroGantz
    Has anyone tried Skyrim VR? The graphics are a bit ordinary to start with but once you get into the world it is incredible, the only way to play an open world game imo.
    Dash_Vanguard likes this.
  15. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    I've got it.
    it is great once in, but I must recommend changing the default horizontal viewing and movement style. By default it is set to click to move (sort of like a mini teleport) very disconcerting!!!
    Change it to the regular movement and learn to steer with your head in stead of the controller.
    Also reduce the speed at which you move horizontally as it really trips with your head.
    I can play VR all day, but Skyrim without those changes I can only handle about an hr.

But the game itself is awesome in VR I concur!!

GTS
    I'm saddened that you can only play VR against the AI. It looks wonderful and is fully immersive. I still remember when I got overtaken and it looked like a real car overtaking me. Was a sight to behold.
    Looking forward to Doom :)
  16. AroGantz

AroGantz Team Driver

PSN ID
    AroGantz
    Definitely need to tweak the controls, that teleport is rubbish unless you are really prone to nausea.

And GTS didn't like my camera so I did get to try it and have now moved the vr to another area.
  17. AroGantz

AroGantz Team Driver

PSN ID
    AroGantz
  18. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    My first Wipeout VR experience.
    Went much better than expected due to the Field of Vision option, which creates a tunnel when racing. Unedited video cause I was lazy :)
    Dash_Vanguard, incey and AroGantz like this.
  19. AroGantz

AroGantz Team Driver

PSN ID
    AroGantz
    Looks good.
  20. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    sooo jealous. you have an impressive array of golds too