Network NBN ISP'S who's good, who's not.

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by Kart-No-1, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Kart-No-1

Kart-No-1 Professional

PSN ID
    Kart-No-1
    With some of us now with the NBN and more of us to connect in the future, I am keen to hear who is the pick of them.
    After a quick Google search it seems all ISP'S aren't equal. So who is connected to the NBN, who has good/bad results (lag etc) how much do you pay, what is the download limit and speed you get and what is your ping like. Would you recommend your fellow ROOZers get who you have, why and why not.

Thanks for your feedback

Cheers.
  2. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    I was looking into this last week on Whingepool (Whirlpool) after finding out NBN will be available to my residence from ~ July 2017.

From what I can gather, TPG has mixed reviews, but enough negative to keep me away (pings worse than ADSL 2+ during peak hours). Their main problems seems (or seemed) to be being very popular (lots of customers) but not purchasing enough bandwidth from NBN Co. Perhaps this means picking a somewhat unknown provider may be a good idea???

Spending extra on Telstra seems to result in a much better gaming experience, but they do not offer an 'unlimited' download quota (1000GB may just be enough for you though), and obviously they charge more.

If I had to pick one right now based on what I've read, I'd be seriously looking at Beyond, who use the Telstra network and offer an unlimited superfast plan for a somewhat decent rate.

I'd also be ignoring the home phone option. Especially when you consider that it requires adapters for each of your home phones, since they all have to connect to your Internet router. Don't forget to say no to whatever router you are offered and use a 'gaming' one which will perform much better.
  3. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    Im with Optus NBN. $100 month including home phone (which i do actually use).
    unlimited data. 100/50 mbps (Im FTTP though, youll be FTTN i would assume, so unsure of what speeds youll be able to achieve)

Never had an issue, the online portal is easy to view account status/pay bills etc.
  4. Kart-No-1

Kart-No-1 Professional

PSN ID
    Kart-No-1
    Thanks guys, some forums also go on about ping as well. Can the download speed be fast but the ping high, or is this a result of network congestion and insufficient bandwidth in the area causing a reduction in download speed.
  5. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    Usually, high speeds and good ping go hand in hand. Im definately no expert in the matter but thats my understanding.
  6. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    i am with optus and have had limited issues, more in the initial phase of the set up....

I am on the $109 plan, which is 25 max down, 5 max up and unlimited data.

The issue i had was that the speed dropped to below what i had on ADSL2 (optus as well) and their reasoning was that because they "buy" bandwidth from telstra, they cant guarantee the download speeds if everyone in my area is congesting the network. I made it known that they shouldnt then offer packages that they cant deliver and wouldnt you know it, i got a credit for a few weeks until they 'sorted it out".

If you have multiple devices running i would go for as fast a connection package you can have, aware that (from my understanding at least) telstra customers have first bite of the available network and the other brands / customers line up behind. I dont know the companies that "share" top billing though.
  7. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    wow im paying less than you with Optus NBN for 100/50 speeds and unlimited data. must differ between states.
  8. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    yeah, i have fiber to the house though, and jumped on one of the first plans....
    Zachery likes this.
  9. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    Yeah same here, we must be the lucky types then, cos these days its all just fibre to the node, which means you still get congestion and stuff when running multiple devices. (I think)
  10. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    not sure, i have to have a look at when my contract is up so i can look at the new plans ..... would be good to go super fast, but the reality is i havnt really had too many issues....

My understanding was that for gaming, 3 meg down and about 1.5 up 'should' be ok, but that would have to be hard wired i suppose. Wireless is a nightmare with a long run between PS and modem using multi devices....
    Zachery likes this.
  11. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    yeah i initially went with 25/5, but with me racing and the missus on netflix i had slight issues. with 100/50 i can have her on netflix, me downloading movies and racing all nice n smooth
    stucar17 likes this.
  12. AroGantz

AroGantz Team Driver

PSN ID
    AroGantz
    I'll revive an old thread but Aussie Broadband are fantastic, I've been with them for 6 months and have had one night of slower internet, it dropped from 47Mbps to 29Mbps compared to telstra dropping to 3Mbps down and 0.3 up EVERY night. They don't have unlimited plans which makes them look dearer than the big companies but due to this they also don't have congestion. They also have Australian support staff who know their stuff.

www.aussiebroadband.com.au

And if you feel inclined to sign up throwing this number (901694) in the referral section gets me a free month :)
    JonoStan96, KoAStR and Zachery like this.
  13. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    I have heard from many people on various forums that Aussie Broadband are actually an excellent company to deal with also. I dont personally have my net with them, but that who i would go to if i had issues with my current provider.
  14. AroGantz

AroGantz Team Driver

PSN ID
    AroGantz
    They really are, I did a lot of research before or nbn went live and and stuck with telstra purely because the Aussie network wasn't live at the time in WA, as soon as it was live I swapped. They built their own network with 121 poi's and wholesale through telstra so they don't share their bandwidth with anyone else.
    Also a disclaimer for anyone on fixed wireless, it doesn't matter which company you are with if you are getting congestion you are screwed until nbn upgrade the tower capacity.
    Zachery likes this.
  15. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    Hey don't tell too many people otherwise the service might slow down for us, haha. But yeah I've been with AB since June after doing my research and they've been great. I get between 70-95mbps down and 38mbps up for $80/month (500GB first 6 months, 250 thereafter). The 100/40 plan was only $5/mth more than the 50/20 plan and means I can stream my collection of movies/TV shows up from my home to some friends places at high quality using the free Plex app for smart TV.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  16. AroGantz

AroGantz Team Driver

PSN ID
    AroGantz
    You know they are all over it if they see any congestion and buy more cvc :) I just hope they don't sell out too TPG like iinet did.
  17. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    I would like to recommend Internode. Have been with them for nearly 10 years and would gladly recommend them.
    I got the 100/40 Unlimited plan and have a constant 90+down/35+up. This was compared to my ADSL days of ~1 - 2MB down :( . I live 3.5+ K's away from my exchange so . . .
    Their service provision has been flawless, as I've never had a day go by without service (on account of their issues of course)
    Anytime you need to request for help, their service department is spot on and very helpful.
  18. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    Was about to make an NBN thread as I need suggestions for my soon to be confirmed purchase, might give Internode a go, keen to get as far away from Telstra as possible lol.
    Matthyus likes this.
  19. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Doooo Eeet!!
    Doooo Eeeet noooow
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  20. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID