GT-Sport Gran Turismo Sport - General

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by JonoStan96, May 20, 2016.

1. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    Perhaps I was wrong to exploit the game to get all of the cars straight away, I might have gotten more enjoyment out of it driving a new car every day...

The biggest issue is that there's no single race (which the Europeans had before), I want to try cars on different tracks, lets face it a GT3 car can't really stretch its legs at Brands Hatch, but an oval is boring.

Not to mention they've done nothing to balance the cars, weeks later the Scirocco and Genesis still dominate the Gr.4 and Gr.3 Races respectively.
    KeedenMcdonald likes this.
  2. NAACS

NAACS Professional

PSN ID
    NAACS
    I just want BATHURST. Keep seeing teaser trailers. Ovals, nurb, dragons, springs and brands are certainly becoming yawn like.
    Apex_64 and KeedenMcdonald like this.
  3. KeedenMcdonald

KeedenMcdonald Team Driver

PSN ID
    Keeden231
    I agreed, I'm now using the dominating cars and gotten very bored, I need to try out other cars

We need the Gr.3s at nurb will be fun, only got to try that out once
  4. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    I haven't seen any reference to PP in the car details pages shown so far, I guess the PP measurement of a cars performance is dead, how do they determine cars with similar performance now?
  5. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    The game adjusts power and weight automatically, the rest is all up to you.
  6. KeedenMcdonald

PSN ID
    Keeden231
    Check out my flying lap at williow springs in the Gr.3 car
    JonoStan96, Apex_64 and NAACS like this.
  7. JonoStan96

PSN ID
  8. NAACS

NAACS Professional

PSN ID
    NAACS
  9. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Comparing the track and car lists for PCars 2 and GT sport it looks like GT Sport is in for a hiding.
  10. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    Not to mention PC2 comes out first... Oh dear.
  11. REVO_Bryan

REVO_Bryan Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    SR_BryanF
  12. NAACS

NAACS Professional

PSN ID
    NAACS
    [​IMG]
    Such an awesome car
  13. KeedenMcdonald

PSN ID
    Keeden231
    Damn I gotta give this 1 last go before it ends, hopefully I get my new wheel tomorrow
  14. KeedenMcdonald

PSN ID
    Keeden231
  15. KeedenMcdonald

PSN ID
    Keeden231
  16. NAACS

NAACS Professional

PSN ID
    NAACS
    incredible time mate
    top spot too
    KeedenMcdonald likes this.
  17. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    Well the beta is all over red rover. :(

However I've played it enough to summarise how I think the game will pan out come release. I've added my thoughts in the spoiler below. It's in a spoiler because it is a huge chunk of writing. If there's anything I've missed or if there's anything else you want to know, I'm more than happy to answer!
    Big thanks to @Benjamin J Smith and @Zachery for letting me test the game in the first place.

Steering and Handling:
    It's standard Gran Turismo feel really. It's going to feel like GT6. This should not come as a surprise to anyone. Each iteration of GT has always been steady improvements over the last iteration, and this is no exception. The biggest change I noticed is each car handled very distinctively, rather than copy and pastes. Not to mention how some cars that were horrendous to drive in GT6, have been completly transformed. The GT-R GT3 being a prime example. The positives are that because it's Gran Turismo, (for the most part) it's very easy to just hop in and drive and set hot laps with great pleasure. Thundering through Brands Hatch in a vast array of GT3 machinery with these new physics, I had a huge amount of fun.

Unfortunately in the most recent update, Group 3 cars especially allowed you to handle comical slides in a very unrealistic manner. Whilst, yes I expect some leniancy, nor do I expect sheer brutallity like Pcars' toss of a coin style, the line has to be drawn somewhere. I put this down to the tyre model, which I will admit is a huge improvement over the terrible GT6 tyre model. The road cars take a very long time to get used to, especially if you're used to big, grippy slicks. Rear drive road cars are oversteer deluxe and mid engined cars like the Evora are almost impossible to drive fast for anyone less than highly skilled. The FF Group 4 cars were on occasion disgustingly overpowered, to the extent where a full lobby only consisted of Sciroccos and Meganes. And they're terrible to drive, suffering the very odd torque steer wheelspin effect due to the power. I can't properly describe how it feels because the force feedback is almost non existent. Speaking of...

Wheel vs Controller:
    The game so far supports a huge catalogue of wheels and devices. I was using the T300, and it automatically made full used of all the buttons. The game felt very natural and you didn't need a Masters degree in mechanical engineering to set up the force feedback (I'm looking at you Pcars). But that's where the positives end. The feedback, especially from v1.08 onwards, was a complete joke. The cars feel weightless, and only when you ride the kerbs, slide the front tyres too much, or get some oversteer (which in my mind makes no sense) did the wheel react noticeably to the car behaviour. Which is a shame because I was full of praise of the FFB in 1.07, but 1.08 feels very numb. Even GT6 with a G27 felt heavier than this. I was using maximum settings too, and if this is how it is going to be on release, there will be a lot of angry wheel users. That said, ironicaly enough on the Oval circuits, it's the opposite, the wheel does feel heavy, and goes light when going on to the banking. Much better.

For controllers, it is good news. It's not Gran Turismo if it is inaccessible to controller users. That's one thing a lot of people forget when comparing GT to other games, compromises have to be met in ordee for both parties to be happy. Pcars and AC are borderline unplayable on a controller (aside from some freaks of nature), while F1 and GT are easily accessible. Ian Bell has been quoted on GTPlanet that Pcars 2 will be much easier in a controller. I hope he's right, but I digress. Once again, it feels like GT6. No shocker there. With the improvements of the DS4 controller though, it is a very nice feeling in your hands. The L2/R2 flippers are extremely precise, along with the steering with the left stick. @razor4797, probably the best controller user ROOZ has ever seen, popped around my place a few times and had nothing but praise for the feel on the controller. More fun on the wheel, but no advantage. He did say though it is a bit harder than GT6 due to the new physics but after getting used to it, it should be no problem at all.

Online Stability:
    A real turn up for the books, the lobbies in GTS over GT6 are poles apart. Remember when we had to leave and rejoin 100 times because people couldn't see each other? Or when the lobby would crash for no reason? Remember when the lobby hung because people joined at the same time? I entered about 100 races over the course of the beta and not once did any of these oddities happen. A sigh of relief, I hear them! The overall lag compensation improved day by day during the beta and soon enough, it was safe to race alongside a lobby full of Japanese drivers without fear of being lag punted despite the Ping being up near the 200 mark. In a typical ROOZ lobby, providing the host is reliable, I am confident we will see clean rooms 99/100 times. The only glitches I noticed was the grid being randomised on rare occasions, but that's something I'm sure will be ironed out, which it was as the beta progressed. I really do think ROOZ events on GTS will be great successes.

Graphics and Sound:
    GT has always had utterly gorgeous visuals, but this is just unbelievable, the colours and fidelity, my oh my I cannot wait to take photos on this game. Visually stunning at every single screen, frame drops were a rarity even in cockpit cam, I can't even imagine how it will run on a PS4 Pro. One of the greatest looking games I've ever played. The sounds are in my opinion, vastly improved. Most of the cars sound great and much more real. The crackling of the downshifts and pop off of the exhausts, while occasionally may seem OTT, but you cannot love hearing it. It's utterly brilliant. Turbo sounds are spot on, and the gear shift sounds are brutal. It's what people have asked for for nearly 20 years and yet there's still complaining, I don't get it. I'm very keen to hear the other cars once the game is released. The pre race music is fantastic too, a soothing symphony of synthsised bliss. Menu music is hit and miss, as it has been since GT5.

New Additions and other things:
    I really like how the RA menu actually functions in this game. Brake Bias, TC, ABS are all easy to adjust on the fly. The RA menu can also be used to compare split times, a 360 radar and Fuel Mapping. Not quite as good as F1 2016, but a superb addition nonetheless. The fuel mapping for race cars adds a whole new element to the races, and will play a factor in race strategies. Tuning is very much the same. However, GT6 exploits wont work. Instead the key is so lower the front ride height and maximise rear right height. A terrible flaw. You can still do the stupid transmission flip, which is completely unacceptable. Load times are short and menus are easy to navigate. Being able to clear the cache from the lobby itself is a very nice addition too.

Overall, I am really looking forward to this game. It makes up for the inadequecies of GT6 and serves as an easily accessible platform for sim racing. To snub your nose at it I think would be very naive considering the racing GT has provided ROOZ over the years has been second to none. Many of us here yearn for the return of the "glory days" (first 3 or so seasons of Div 1 GT6 for those wondering), and I truly feel this game could be the catalyst for it, providing enough of us give the game a chance. When the racing is this good, it would be foolish not to give it a try.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  18. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    in your opinion, could we open up GT Sport Seasons to international participants?
  19. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    That's difficult to answer as the beta only allowed us to race in Asia-Pacific lobbies. That would need to be tested once the game comes out to see if Europeans and Americans are capable of joining our lobbies cleanly. I'm confident though we could let in a few Asian Pacific drivers if they are keen.
  20. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    so what version should we buy???