AC Fun Run Series! Offseason between S13-14

Discussion in 'Community Events' started by Rolz, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

I’ll be there, though have only done a tiny amount of practice laps last night and have no speed :(
  2. Bogor

Bogor Team Driver

Thanks for the race it was fun on my end (at the back) ;) is there a link to the race results?
  3. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

Bogor likes this.
  4. Bogor

Bogor Team Driver

401 Unauthorized
    You are not authorized to access that resource

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "site-packages\cherrypy\_cprequest.py", line 667, in respond
    File "site-packages\cherrypy\_cprequest.py", line 114, in run
    File "site-packages\cherrypy\_cprequest.py", line 104, in run
    File "site-packages\cherrypy\_cprequest.py", line 63, in __call__
    File "stracker_lib\http_server.py", line 109, in my_auth_digest
    File "stracker_lib\http_server.py", line 81, in my_auth_digest
    File "site-packages\cherrypy\lib\auth_digest.py", line 390, in digest_auth
    cherrypy._cperror.HTTPError: (401, 'You are not authorized to access that resource')
  5. Rolz

6. Rolz

Updated First post for Monday 15th Fun Run, hope to see u there :)
  7. Bogor

Bogor Team Driver

Will you have reserved spots for the regulars?
  8. Rolz

Will be very (but pleasantly) surprised if we get to 24, but if u can't get on mate I'll boot a random off... :D
    Bogor likes this.
  9. Bogor

Bogor Team Driver

I just need to learn how to do a 1:37 around there now so I can at least be competitive. I can get a consistent 1:40 with the odd 1:39, however No idea how I can make up that extra 2 seconds. Teach me Obi-Wan you are my only hope :)
    KoAStR likes this.
  10. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Maybe a couple sprint races in this combo the week after?

I tested the 3 DTM cars and they are only a couple seconds apart here with the e30 slightly quicker then the other 2 for me. Over 3 laps soft tyres are best but you need to deal with some wear which makes it interesting.

Could be regular qualy then race race1 with reverse grid of some sort race 2, maybe just top 10 or top 6 for example if people think its not the best idea at Nords. But the video above was last to first against a full field of artificial idiots so us real ones should be able to manage it at this track.

Not as easy to pass humans at Nords however and it takes a fair bit of patience with a few sections that quite often end in pretty massive shunts if contact is made.
    Rolz likes this.
  11. Rolz

awesome idea Marty! With Nords qualifying is always a mission... how about we do a tourist time trial during the week and all those parties interested in racing post a tourist time and that time is your position on the Monday?
    Nords is full on, doing in the DTM's would be exciting... haven't done that in ages. :)
    Godzilla likes this.
  12. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

DTM is awesome to drive, very raw cars. Found the Alfa to be the fastest for me but like the BMW more, need to disable ABS to make it fair though as the Alfa has it and the BMW and the Merc don’t
  13. marty

marty AC Server Legend

It doesnt really matter people can chose the car with ABS if they feel they need it. I think recent builds have slowed the Alfa a bit as a while back it was quite a bit faster then the other 2 at least over 1 lap. The e30 in earlier builds was the slowest at Nords by a fair margin now for me it is the quickest. Its like saying dont let the Alfa drive because its AWD as the others are RWD. If they are competitive over a single lap or race distance then thats all that really matters I think.

I used factory ABS when testing the 3 cars and it really made no difference with the cars that didnt have it, it didnt make them less competitive and the 3 are close enough here that car choice makes little difference. All 3 drive very differently with the Alfa with its AWD which is the biggest advantage off the line, the beamer is pretty stiff and handles nice and the merc is quitte a bit softer but all end up running much the same times. 2 seconds at Nords is like about .4 over a regular 1:30 lap track.

It only takes 2 laps to set a time in qualy so 15 minutes and it would be easy enough just to open the server earlier with an extended qualy session of 1 hour or so prior to race 1, to give people more time and also maybe build up the grid a little. If people cant set a laptime then it wont make much difference to the race as they will also struggle to keep it clean and finish.

However in the practice server with a few in when I was only 1 other managed set a lap time which is a bit surprising. Trying to pre set a grid is probably more hassle then its worth, maybe those that struggle to run clean laps can learn to back off a little. This will end up running better times then they would overdiving also making their race pace considerably better and less of a hazard to all others. It may even teach some to learn to have some patience in traffic which is even more important at this track then any others I think. Not much worse then being taken out by someone early trying a desperate move they cant pull off clean most of the time. ;)
  14. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

The Alfa isn’t AWD is it? Can’t be...
  15. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Surely you could tell this when driving it, its kind of the cool thing about these 3 cars that are quite different but have very different strengths and weaknesses yet fairly similar performances. The real alfa dominated just lime the original AC version did but seems there was some sort of BOP applied to them. Here is the real thing at Nords when the e30 was the least competitive of the 3..

16. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Strangely have never noticed it, always just kind of assumed the DTM cars of that era were all rwd. Have only really driven them on my server with some friends casually and mostly drove the BMW, it sounds better :)
  17. Bogor

Bogor Team Driver

I like this idea. I have spent some time on the tourist layout in the BMW 235i Racing. How many laps would it be? After the Laguna Race on Monday I'll just spend my whole week learning to drive a DTM :)
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Rolz likes this.
  18. marty

marty AC Server Legend

I think just have 2x 3 lap sprints with race 2 being some form of reversed grid but not likely a full field. I think we can keep the server open MR A+ the whitelist have 8 of each car in and set the race night server to 1hour qualy at 8pm then the 2 races to follow on the nords layout with no gp track. Should be about 24 minutes per race and I did put my basic setup in the server for each of the cars good for 3 laps already.

Also I think tyre warmers can stay on, dtm use them these days and its possible they did back then also. If nothing else it should help avoid some extra collisions on lap 1 here. The server should be set with a bit lower grip maybe 98 with a slow build up, maybe never reaching 100% at all but still will give a slight advantage to those setting laps later rather then earlier in qualy.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Bogor and Rolz like this.
  19. Bogor

Bogor Team Driver

OMG! what a rush. Not able to complete a full lap without spinning or hitting the barriers. Totally driving beyond my skill level, but how much fun is that. I need to get used to using all 6 gears on my H shifter, I keep selecting the wrong gear.
    I shall slow it down a bit and see if I can get a time in and then build on it. But full speed in these things on this course is crazy!!
    I really should put is away until after Monday's race.
    I managed to get a 1:38 on Laguna (Know Idea how!) however am consistent on 1:39 - low 1:40, so should be at least competitive now.
    marty and Rolz like this.
  20. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Speaking of gears, @marty did you manage to get your Logitech shifter working with the wheel? Mine works after initial calibration but if I close and open AC I don’t get wheel input from the fanatec wheel, it always defaults to the Logitech even though it’s all set and detecting right in the settings. Been using the paddles for manual cars but it’s a bit unnatural