PC PC building & spec check

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Jul 23, 2011.

1. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  2. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Vulkan. Wow. Just played DOOM on ultra setting for first time at constant >100fps.
    vanzr and Rolz like this.
  3. vanzr

vanzr Rookie

PSN ID
    vanzr_
    Time to upgrade the monitor, haven't got heaps of space so thinking 21:9 curved ..anyone tried it, good/bad?
  4. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

If you are in the market to spend some coin, the Rift is really becoming affordable http://a.co/eLE7mHy
    KoAStR and vanzr like this.
  5. vanzr

vanzr Rookie

PSN ID
    vanzr_
    The price is about right but my pc isn't far above min spec. Not sure itd look the goods. Rx480 & i5 7600

edit: just did a bit more research.. rift is ordered:) never entertained the idea as thought my pc wouldn't cut it. Thx for the idea @Rolz!
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Bogor and Rolz like this.
  6. bmx_mtb_boy

bmx_mtb_boy Rookie

PSN ID
    bmx_mtb_boy
    I second the recommendation to get an i5. That will also give the option to run games like Project Cars 2 and Forza 7 too.
  7. jasondull1986

jasondull1986 Professional

PSN ID
    jasond1986
    I ended up getting the i3 with a gtx 1060 6gb. All the fps benchmarks between the i3 7100 and i5 7400 were hardly any different and when I'm ready later I'll grab an i7
    bmx_mtb_boy likes this.
  8. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    Alright guys, Looking at CPUs atm (last thing i really need for now) but ive done some research, and my motherboard (MSI A78M-E35 V2)only has a FM2+ socket. from what i can see, the best card i can get that suits, is an AMD Athlon x4 880K.

2 questions

Is that CPU good enough to get good FPS on AC/iRacing etc with my Radeon HD 6970 GPU? (50+ ill be happy with normal-high details across the board)
    if not, recommend me a motherboard and CPU setup that i could swap out for quite easily? (maybe $500 limit, but willing to hear more expensive options)

Im soo close, yet this last hurdle is a touch out of my knowledge base.

TIA

EDIT: This is another that would be compatible with my MoBo, any good?
    AMD A8-7650K 4-Core 3.3GHz APU Processor

Am i right in thinking i dont NEED an APU unit, as im using a seperate GPU?
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  9. jasondull1986

PSN ID
    jasond1986
    Thought I'd just add for anyone interested my build above 2 posts benchmarks ac full graphics 1080p at 78fps average.
    Zachery likes this.
  10. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    how about an actual full grid race? my benchmark test went almost max graphics at 55-65 fps, but and actual race KILLS my fps down to unplayable. (like 10-20 fps)
    jasondull1986 likes this.
  11. jasondull1986

PSN ID
    jasond1986
    Yeah still around 70 average just drops at the start as every car smokes up the grid
    Zachery likes this.
  12. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    hmmm, ill drop some more settings tonight and try again before i buy a new MoBo and CPU
    jasondull1986 likes this.
  13. Spidey_11

Spidey_11 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Spidey_11, Steam ID - spidey_11
    FM2+ socket... how old is that?
    Would you consider a little proofing if you are going down the PC racing path?
    If you stick with AMD checkout AM4 boards. https://www.pccasegear.com/category/138_1874/motherboards/amd-socket-am4
    Plus a Ryzen 3 or 5 cpu for good price point. https://www.pccasegear.com/category/187_1873/cpus/amd-socket-am4
    However in a few months ryzen are bringing out there ryzen+ cpu’s Which will drop the cost of current ones.

Edit: you may need to buy new RAM to fit new motherboard but you will be able to get much higher speeds
    Rolz and Zachery like this.
  14. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    Yeah its a few years on at least. Im definitely keen to upgrade now to a point where future upgrades arent a hassle. I like the ryzen range and almost bought their top cpu before i worked out my mobo was poo lol. A4 board and ryzen might be the way to go.

On the other hand. If the cpus ive suggested will do the job for now, then i dont mind spending the 100 to get me up and running sooner, even if i have to properly upgrade in 12 months or so.
  15. Shaun_A

Shaun_A Team Driver Gold Member

I wouldn't suggest ryzen 3. Would go at least Ryzen 5 1600. You have to remember that online racing requires more cpu than gpu.

With AM4 boards, go with the b350 chipset, much better bang for buck with the ability to still overclock.

AM4 is also picky with what RAM you choose. Any DDR4 will work at stock 2133, but if you want higher speeds you need to know what will work. You will want ram that can get close to or higher than 3000GHz speed to get the best out the cpu, due to the infinity fabric that links the dies in the cpu.
    Zachery and Spidey_11 like this.
  16. Shaun_A

Stay away from the APUs, they are not worth it. You are better going with whatever has the highest core count on your socket.

I would suggest a full upgrade that will require a new MB, RAM and CPU. The B350 chipset and a Ryzen 5 1600 will be a good combo with some decent RAM on top. Research your RAM as it is very important for Ryzen.

Your GPU is also getting a little long in the tooth, but due to the increase in price thanks to mining, I would hold off on an upgrade unless you can find a decent second hand unit on here
    Zachery, Rolz and Spidey_11 like this.
  17. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    Thanks heaps for both responses mate, clarified which way im gonna go.

Ill put this to the thread, and purchase if you think thisll be good for now (will look aty GPU in future)

MB - https://www.umart.com.au/MSI-B350-Tomahawk-AM4-ATX-Motherboard_38358G.html

CPU - https://www.umart.com.au/AMD-Ryzen-...rocessor-with-Wraith-Spire-Cooler_38757G.html

RAM - https://www.umart.com.au/Corsair-16...-DDR4-3000MHz-Vengeance-LPX-Black_33428G.html

Alright, this is what im looking to hit the button on. anyone wanna suggest alternatives, is there anything thats un needed/OTT, or should this bunch of kit go preetty well?

EDIT: My current board is a Micro ATX Form factor, does that mean i should use this https://www.umart.com.au/MSI-B350M-Mortar-AM4-mATX-Motherboard_40127G.html
    as this one is also Micro ATX Form factor?
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  18. Shaun_A

That build should all work together perfectly fine. I can't see a reason to change or add anything. You will have to make sure you have the latest bios installed.

In regards to getting a mATX board, I would say if your case can fit any size it doesn't matter what you go with. If your case can only fit mATX, than you will have to get a mATX board or upgrade your case.
  19. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    Yeah i bought the stuff listed above, and she works a treat! Thanks for the help.

Updated bios and done all new drivers. Set my clock speeds and opened up rest of ram speed, anything else? Seems great now
  20. bmx_mtb_boy

bmx_mtb_boy Rookie

PSN ID
    bmx_mtb_boy
    I'd have suggested waiting for the 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs that are scheduled to drop in the first quarter of this year if you're interested in future proofing. Otherwise good to hear that it's working really good. Also good to hear since I've had plans for a similar spec machine should I fail/run out of patience to get my 6 core Xeon X5670 and EVGA X58 SLI build up and running.
    Zachery likes this.