Dealing with dem nerves!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Pixeliz3d_DoD, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Pixeliz3d_DoD

Pixeliz3d_DoD Rookie

PSN ID
    Pixeliz3d_DoD
    Got a question for everyone.

I know im pretty new to racing others online (me and my bro race each other but thats about it), and I know from having a few track days in RL I feel like im going through those same emotions. Learning a new track and being out there with seasoned drivers, in RL I would go out when its clear, and when a faster more confident driver comes up I tend to pull off the racing line and let them past and then get back onto it and try to just get the sensory overload thing out of the way (being behind the wheel and on the track, other cars around etc etc)

How did you guys get over this? Is it a matter of me thinking way too much about it, and that I should just go out full steam, not check the rear view?

Or should I just put myself in a practice room and start slow and each time try to get a consistent lap time, faster each time, no matter what is going on around me (the unconcious competence) where the house could be falling down, yet from repetition I can still do same times due to muscle memory etc?

And then how to overcome these nerves when others are around, not wanting to crash them or yourself.
    Any tips from the seasoned vets on this subject?
  2. POPPINFRESH1234

POPPINFRESH1234 Team Driver

PSN ID
    PoppinFr3sh987
    The more you do the less u will feel nervous, adds to the excitement. Once you have practiced the track enough you will be doing consistent times. When the race starts you just gotta focus on hitting all your marks and hitting your lap times, once you have done 2 laps the grid should have shaken out and you will have a small buffer in front and behind. That’s when you need to switch on and race yourself.
  3. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Being new(ish) myself with 1 season under my belt, I still experience what you are feeling.
    Racing in packs takes practice and racing nose to tail or side by side will take time. Last night we were doing lots of 3 lap races, so you can get used to close quarters racing which is where all new racers need to focus on. Most of the time you will feel like your heart is beating a trillion beats a minute and you will lose control more often than not, but it will get better as you practice.

As @POPPINFRESH1234 just mentioned, once you get into the race proper, this is where the endurance and mental toughness will come into it. But if you focus on close quarters racing first, the rest will sort itself out in time.

Just remember that some of the others you are racing are going through the same, so if you can cope and they can't you'll gain a spot or 2 :)
  4. Pixeliz3d_DoD

Pixeliz3d_DoD Rookie

PSN ID
    Pixeliz3d_DoD
    Thx for the replies, totally agree on both points.
    I think the close quarters racing is what I’m definitely not used to so I should try to spend some more time practicing this.

I’d like to think I’m tough mentally and focussed but that only lasts till bewbs flash into my head :x3:
  5. AroGantz

AroGantz Team Driver

PSN ID
    AroGantz
    You're welcome to join our practice rooms mate and we have a mix of divisions so there is no pressure.
    Pixeliz3d_DoD likes this.
  6. Anthonyb

Anthonyb World Champion Gold Member

I've been running for a couple of seasons and still think crap I hope i don't stuff someones race. But we are all human (well most of us) and it is a GAME. So all I can recommended is that give your self some room in qualifying so you can get your head down and worry about yourself. Then in the race for the first few turns hold your line if you are mid to rear pack lift a little earlier so you hit your brake mark with ease and dont take people out. After a lap or 2 everything should shake out then its get on the race.
    If you are racing hard with people hold your line let them go around you or if you are pushing them don't do anything too stupid and force the mistake but overall just have fun if you stuff up and take someone out redress and get on with the battle. Enjoy and don't stress.
  7. Pixeliz3d_DoD

Pixeliz3d_DoD Rookie

PSN ID
    Pixeliz3d_DoD
    I think I might take that opportunity. Thanks for the invite. I will throw you a friend request when I jump on
    AroGantz likes this.
  8. Pixeliz3d_DoD

Pixeliz3d_DoD Rookie

PSN ID
    Pixeliz3d_DoD
    Thanks mate, good encouraging words. Appreciate it, and wise words right there
  9. nigegunz

nigegunz Professional

16 months of racing with rooz & doing as much as i can now has me comfortable racing at close quarters. i still got it wrong recently in f1 at silverstone where I ruined jono's race by thinking i was taking it easy but not nearly enough into t3 lap 1
    being mindful of still breathing has really helped! now the close quarter racing is immensely exciting without the whole "oh s*** i might f*** up" thought pattern that clearly messes with the programmed muscle memory of hittting your marks
    energy flows where attention goes. eliminate anything negative by taking a breathe & going tunnel vision, then the peripheral vision can be developed to see & feel other cars & see lap splits
    relaxing, having fun & being in the moment will take care of results. the fastest guys always seem so relaxed!
  10. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    You've obviously heard beau talking
    nigegunz likes this.
  11. Pixeliz3d_DoD

Pixeliz3d_DoD Rookie

PSN ID
    Pixeliz3d_DoD
    Yeah I jumped in with Pat, Argogantz and saint last night and ran a few laps. Learnt quite a bit and as you say, just relax and try to do what you can do and hit those marks.
    Can honestly say I think it has more to do with going from controller to wheel, and not having nearly anywhere near the hours on that, plus doing wheel for tracks that I think I may know, is totally different on a wheel.

All that said, I would go around the track a few times just in 3rd and get the feel for where I need to be, and gradually started getting faster lap times in. Then we did a few races and felt I was improving. that saying 'you don't need to prove yourself, you need to improve yourself' was coming to mind alot :thumbsup:

So big thank you to the guys, was happy to be able to keep up and maybe even go a little better than what I had expected.
    Bogor and nigegunz like this.
  12. Anthonyb

Anthonyb World Champion Gold Member

Not sure if you can do it in gts but in pcars I regularly jump on the fast guys bonnet( be a spectator ) for few laps just to see gear selection brake marks etc and tgat helps a lot.
  13. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    this is without a doubt, the absolute best way to learn! im not sure if you can on GTS either, but if you can i would highly recommend jumping in and watching. watch the throttle and steering inputs and try to mimmick it. you wont be able to go as fast as them straight up, but its an awesome way to learn all the little things that make them so fast!

as for the nerves, they never go away, but you learn how to use them to your advantage. nerves means you care, which is the right start at least.
    Spidey_11, Anthonyb and Pixeliz3d_DoD like this.
  14. AroGantz

AroGantz Team Driver

PSN ID
    AroGantz
    Most welcome mate, I'll be on sometime today doing laps of Nurburgring.
    You can, it's a little bit a stuff around to get the telemetry up but it can be done.
    That's the truth.
    Anthonyb, Zachery and Pixeliz3d_DoD like this.
  15. Pixeliz3d_DoD

Pixeliz3d_DoD Rookie

PSN ID
    Pixeliz3d_DoD
    That is a fantastic idea. I think I will have to spend some time just watching and learning
  16. skintsaint

skintsaint Rookie

I have little experience of racing in and around cars, not really racing online too much and sticking to offline mode does that - don't feel bad if i knock an AI car out the way but different in a Rooz race! Was good to practice with other last night and spent some time just up the arse of Pat (ooer) to just get practice of racing bumper to bumper and careful not to stack him out the race. After a few races you will relax more and not worry too much about ruining the race for others, stick to a line and just check around you going into corners incase someone is diving up the inside, if contact happens..meh its racing and as long as its not on purpose and you are constantly doing it I'm sure people wont mind.
  17. AroGantz

AroGantz Team Driver

PSN ID
    AroGantz
    I took him out at the chicane when you were beside him because i was watching you're car, bad is an understatement on how I felt since you two were having a good race.

We are on most nights mate so just join the room.
  18. skintsaint

skintsaint Rookie

That Chicane is going to cause a few of them, not much error on the braking point in that one. Same as first corner at Nuremberg. o_O:)
    nigegunz likes this.
  19. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    let me know when u figure this out lol...i keep right away from the boys when i jump on as i feel im still very inexperienced and would hate to ruin there race...as of yet i have not has a serious crash with anyone because i dont put myself in a position where theres a chance of that happening....but it causes for some lonely racing sometiumes
  20. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    that could be doing you more harm than good. the only way to get used to it is to get right amongst them in practice (when mistakes dont mean ruined races) and you will get used to it over time.
    Anthonyb, PaulCox and Pixeliz3d_DoD like this.