On the track

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by OuttaAngst, Feb 2, 2011.

1. skintsaint

skintsaint Rookie

Interesting to know thanks for the info, im about a year out from even starting to look into it. Would be fun to get into and excels would be a good start to get into track racing.
  2. Jurassic Mark

Jurassic Mark Team Driver

PSN ID
    themarkomac
    If I had a lazy 6.5k, and was willing to drive from Sydney to Queensland, I would.
  3. Benjamin J Smith

Benjamin J Smith Professional Gold Member

that car is only just over the border in Warwick
  4. Jurassic Mark

PSN ID
    themarkomac
    Which is driveable, but doesn’t help with the 6.5K hahahaha.
  5. Jurassic Mark

PSN ID
    themarkomac
    Just got home from my first ever Go Kart Enduro. 9 hours, starting at 10pm last night and finishing at 7am this morning. Had some major chain issues that set us back a large number of laps, but we got to the end. The Karts certainly looking very worse for wear, and our transponder managed to break its mounts, so not sure if it works anymore.

Fun times.
    PaulCox likes this.
  6. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    where abouts did you do this, me and my wife r looking into starting karting at the moment ..glad ya had a great time
  7. Jurassic Mark

PSN ID
    themarkomac
    It was in an organisation called SEK. Last night was at Eastern Creek, then it moves on to places like Newcastle, Canberra, Port Macquarie, Lithgow, Wollongong and somewhere else. Minimum 6 hour races. The longer the race the more drivers you need (9 hours required a minimum of 3). It’s a twin Honda engine setup, all engines are sealed to make it all competitive.

Our Kart is an old one. And we weren’t even close to competitive. Might be looking to replace some engines as we think we basically ran one into the ground just to get to the finish line.
    PaulCox likes this.
  8. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    Thats quite a way between races isnt it.. but man that sounds like fun..My wife and I are planning a trip to Canberra in the next few weeks to talk to the people at the track to see how we can get started. while i have done research online i find it better just to go for a drive and talk to someone. Living on the south coast of NSW hinders abit but we will get there....
  9. CaptainRisky21

CaptainRisky21 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    CaptainRisky21
    Im in central south NSW, looking to get into karting myself. but gotta get some cash together first...
    PaulCox likes this.
  10. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    How much u reckon ull need to get into it.....i got no idea untill i head out to a race meet and talk to some people
  11. Noremac

Noremac Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Normxc
    Cool thread. I work at a karting place and will be getting a 125KZ2 towards the end of this year and joining the club that's only 10 minutes away
    PaulCox likes this.
  12. CaptainRisky21

CaptainRisky21 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    CaptainRisky21
    At least $1000 with all the safety gear
    PaulCox likes this.
  13. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    what about a kart..thought they be pretty expensive..i got budget of about 5k for kart n safty gear
  14. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    and i drive a big v8 landcruiser so ill need 500 bux a race minimum just in petrol to travel to track n back cause i live so far away...plus then accommodation and food n beers if needed..can see getting expensive but cheaper than a V8 team :)
  15. Noremac

PSN ID
    Normxc
    Depends on the class you want to join
  16. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    Exactly why gota get to track n have a chat, and first kart second hand unless i find a good deal can prob get abit more if needed
  17. Jurassic Mark

PSN ID
    themarkomac
    Yeah there’s some distances to travel, but it’s good to get to race different circuits. The good thing about the Endurance Karts is that they are a twin engine 4 stroke, so maintenance is a whole lot cheaper than the 2 stroke variations. 2 strokes tend to need a whole lot of rebuilding, where as the Honda’s are generally good for over 3 seasons (keeping in mind each race is a minimum 6 hours) and then it’s simpler to just replace them.

I picked up our Kart for $800. Obviously that’s a fairly old Kart and needed a bit of work (still does), but it’s a good starting point. Thing is, Endurance Karts aren’t as common as the two stroke variety, so aren’t always easy to pick up, especially for as cheap as we did.
    stucar17 and PaulCox like this.
  18. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    so whats some ballpark new prices mate...i know its a broard question so lets just start with what ur gona get
  19. Noremac

PSN ID
    Normxc
    Won't be buying brand new you'd be looking at 10k plus with safety gear. 2nd hand you're probably looking at 4-7k with gear and as it goes with racing the more you spend the more competitive you are
    PaulCox likes this.
  20. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    cheers buddy, i can buy new 5k is just what i told the mrs....