VR Nifty Rifties - VR Tips & Tricks for AC

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by krunch, Oct 18, 2016.

1. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

My CPU is a Core i7-3770K. Back when I got my Rift it was actually under the min spec in the Oculus tool but it ran AC and pCars just fine. Since then the Oculus software has been tweaked which has dropped the min specs down quite a bit and I have been able to up the quality a bit too. TBH your CPU isn't much slower than mine for gaming. In fact a mate of mine had a similar CPU and had no issues with his Rift. Here's a specs comparison of your CPU vs mine:
    https://ark.intel.com/compare/65523,52210

I also got a warning about USB compatibility (ie it said my ASMedia USB 3 could be incompatible) so to be safe I decided to buy a Fresco Logic PCI 4 port USB card as well. However I've heard other people have had no problems with their built in USB 3 ports even though they got a warning. As long as you have two USB 3 ports available, one for the HMD and 1 for the sensor then you might find all is fine. In the event you have issues you can always buy a PCI USB card.

So does this mean you've bitten the bullet and you'll be wrapping your face in a box soon?! (oooh that never gets old lol)
    KoAStR, c4rLo5 and Rolz like this.
  2. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Cool thanks mate. I ran a Oculus DK1 fine so assume USB ports should be OK. Yea thinking about it...
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Rolz and krunch like this.
  3. krunch

Stop thinking and start buying! Oh and if you are going for the full bundle with the touch controllers (and you should!) then you'll need a 3rd USB 3 port for the second sensor. I'm about to buy the Touch controller pack myself as they weren't available when I bought my Rift.
    Rolz likes this.
  4. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    One of my concerns with this tech is impact on eye site from sustained use. Sometimes I get eye strain just from close proximity screen time at work. I don't need corrective lenses, but I don't want to get to that point either and not sure if this is of greater concern for VR being much closer proximity.

So a few of you guys have been using VR for a while now, notice any issues?
    krunch likes this.
  5. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    I usually capped VR sessions to around an hour or so, with short breaks during that time and don't feel like I had any issues with that. If you feel tired/strained (as you sometimes do with normal screens) then it's time to take a break, otherwise all is well. These days I don't use it so much (or play much) due to work and getting married soon.
  6. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

I use glasses for work due to astigmatism otherwise I get a cracking headache by the end of the day, but nothing with VR... done 3hr + sessions and been fine... biggest issue inially is neck strength with unit on...
    used to last 30min and would get a stiff neck the day after, now I’m fine.
  7. Rolz

Hi all! Recently upgraded to Win10_1803 and my old nvidia drivers (388.59) to the latest 397.64 and had a good increase of FPS.
    Previously my ASW would kick in and would always be on ~45fps
    Tested for an hour this arvo and was up at 89fps! Haven’t seen that performance in ages!

My PC is no slouch so I’m stoked it’s running at that level. :D
    krunch, Sam D Blacklock and KoAStR like this.
  8. krunch

Sorry mate, didn't see this till now.

I've had my Rift now for over 18 months. I have pretty bad 'longsightedness' and I wear glasses all the time. I usually wear them in the rift too but on Monday nights I now use contact lenses, mainly as the glasses can get a bit smeary and foggy. I also race for a couple of hours on Tuesday nights with some mates, plus practice nights so I get plenty of Rift hours per week. For each session I leave it on the whole time. I haven't had any eyestrain at all, ever using the Rift. In fact playing non rift games on a monitor sometimes does give me eyestrain and dry eyes.

I guess we have to consider the fact that we are putting more electromagnetism near our eyes and brain for sustained periods but the evidence seems mixed as to how bad that might be over time.

I've had neck pain issues for decades but I've never had a problem with the Rift in that area either. I'm actually amazed at how good the ergonomic design is on this thing! Racing with monitors just feels like watching TV these days :).
    KoAStR likes this.
  9. krunch

I haven't had that experience so far in AC but I probably need to do some more testing. In fact for the first 2 rounds of this AC season I've had terrible framerate issues but they may be due to the V8 mod rather than other things. It's only when the server is full of cars that I get the issue. My PC is at the lower end of the Oculus specs so I don't expect miracles but it hasn't been an issue till now. I'm struggling to fix it even with turning down settings but I'll keep trying different settings combos.
  10. Rolz

Disable smoke and post processing... though no having post processing makes it a bit tough to see break lights...
    yeah a few ppl mentioned frame related issues on Monday just gone... I had a few blips, but that was prior to upgrading to latest drivers... I'm keen to see with a busier room on Thursday night.
  11. krunch

Yep I've had PP disabled for a while now and I disabled all smoke prior to Monday night. I also turned the supersampling down to 1.3 but unfortunately I still had judders and a smeary image the whole race. I'm going to do some more research to see if there are other file tweaks I can do.
  12. Rolz

if you can I would strongly recommend Win10_1803 and nvidia drivers 397.64 :)
  13. Snoopy

Snoopy New Recruit

PSN ID
    Formerly Michael Schafferius
    Hey guys, have any of you had any issues with Frame rate since an update in steam end of last year?
    I used to run 90fps fine without any issue then something changed with Steam and its forcing 45fps no matter what i do.

Really annoying and i cant seem to find a fix. I've stopped short of completely deleting steam to to see if my frame rate returns after a reinstall.

Hope someone here has had some luck.

Talk soon.

Mick.
  14. Rolz

Hi there,
    Is this across all VR programs?

For AC
    Running too many apps in AC can be a massive FPS hit.
    Also came across putting Content Manager (alternative AC launcher) in AV exclusion list killed FPS too.

Lastly check GPU fans/temp maybe overheating and clocking down as protection.

HTH