Fanatec Fanatec McLaren GT3 wheel

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by Flouncy, May 24, 2018.

1. Flouncy

Flouncy Rookie

This:
    https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/steering-wheels/csl-elite-steering-wheel-mclaren-gt3-aus.html

Is incredible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ordered this bad boy in Nov last year when they were taking pre-orders for just one weekend. Delivery due March, then April, then after emotionally painful delays was finally delivered yesterday. And it's so fantastic.

Replica of the McLaren 650 GT3 wheel using McLaren CAD files. One big win there is the ergonomics of the grips is superb, moulded with funky shapes and incredible to hold.

A bit bigger than the Clubsport - the perfect wheel size IMO. Can't see myself using anything else for a long time.

Doesn't have motors in it like the other wheels but that's a good thing I've discovered, lets you really feel the wheel force and you just dial up the effects if you want strong ripple strips.

The P and N buttons are REALLY stiff to push, apparently authentic. So not so useful for stuff you tap quickly like DRS/KERS. Still useful.
    Weight is light, lighter than Clubsport on paper but feels much lighter - so FFB feels better than ever. It made me really discover how good the 2.5 base is - it's better than the Clubsport for FFB. And pretty much everything else.

It's compatible with all Clubsport bases though I hear V1 may have issues.

It's cheaper than others a bit because the default adaptor is the CSL version but you can (and I did) buy the quick release. The fake carbon fibre looks cool enough and build qualit and materials are flawless. Of course. Fanatec.

Comes with a bunch of button caps too with various icons etc on them as well as a useful sticker sheet of labels. Mine as in the pics below has just the base buttons, no caps on it, I think it looks amazing just like that.

OLED display looks great.

Rotary dials unique - each switch position registers as a separate button so nothing really supports it at the moment, not worried.

And, it has dual analogue paddles under the shifters than can be used as an F1 style launch control, you pre-set bite points for your cars and store them in memory. Pull them both back just before the start and put it in first and floor it, on go release the right one quickly and the car is rolling, then let the second one out fairly quickly to get it going with minimal slip and spin. Still need to get your movements and bite point right so it's not an exploit :)

If you're considering moving to a Fanatec ecosystem, this is the wheel to get, it can conceivably be the only wheel you need. It's incredibly beautiful to look at, to hold, and to race with. It's also remarkably good value. Sim racing's new best buy wheel for sure.

Some pics on my rig and compared in size to Clubsport: https://imgur.com/a/e2JKZsz
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  2. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    :):):):) yer....ordering this and the f1 carbon rim in the next few weeks for the mrs birthday
    Spidey_11 and c4rLo5 like this.
  3. Flouncy

Flouncy Rookie

She will not be disappointed, you're spoiling her thoroughly. Outstanding husbandmanship.

Forgot to add that the grips are REALLY grippy. Proper rubber stuff so you NEED gloves cos they make instant hand sweat and you'll get friction burns on the inside of your thumbs. To anyone that thought I was drunk with my typos in every single text post on Thursday night racing, wasn't, was just wearing mountain bike gloves so was pressing three keys at once :) Need to buy perfect gloves.
    c4rLo5 and PaulCox like this.
  4. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    try fingerless, like cycling fingerless so they are thin but padded
  5. Flouncy

Flouncy Rookie

Yeah that's what I used for years until I got this. Specialized-brand sexy mountain bike fingerless gloves that are all thin material but give great hand-feel (science word). There's just enough inside thumb exposed with my fingerless gloves so the rubber still friction burns. I have big lumpy callouses right now from just the first hour I used this wheel the night it arrived before changing to full gloves. The wheel grip material is like, super-friction (bonus science word). So, no go with that. I'll probably take scissors to my regular full-finger gloves soon and cut them to a usable length.
    Anon666 and PaulCox like this.
  6. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    i find for while racing my bike gloves are fine for buttons like drs and pit limiter..but when i hit the menus one of them has to comes off
  7. Spidey_11

Spidey_11 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Spidey_11, Steam ID - spidey_11
    @Flouncy Can I ask you why you bought the Mclaren GT3 rim over the Fanatec F1 rim?
  8. Flouncy

Flouncy Rookie

Hey Spidey. I have both. Bought the Formula wheel (it's actually not F1 but based more on the lower formulas) several years ago when it was first released at the same time as the V1 base), and it's been the wheel I've been using ever since. Also have the BMW but hardly use it.

But it's not quite right for some cars. It's quite small. I actually dragged out the BMW wheel for the start of the V8 season here. The new McLaren wheel is wider than the Formula rim (you can see a comparison in the link at the bottom of my first post). But still much smaller than the BMW.

It's a perfect size. For anything. Except possibly Monaco. It's small enough to be able to rotate really luckily but big enough to have really good gentle movevement and precision. Ergonomics are much better, feels better to hold too. And looks sexy AF.

Formula wheel is still fantastic and I'm glad I have it, but if I was starting from scratch the McLaren is the one to get.

Plus I've got a bunch of F1 driver autographs on my Formula wheel so starting to worry they will wear if I keep using it (haven't yet), so the Formula wheel is mainly a trophy cabinet piece now :)
    PaulCox and Spidey_11 like this.
  9. Spidey_11

Spidey_11 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Spidey_11, Steam ID - spidey_11
    Flouncy you're right about the size difference. Even the picture shows the big difference.
    Another question:
    Where or how did you get those side mounts for the Fanatec base? The ones that hold your buttons.
  10. Flouncy

Flouncy Rookie

Spidey_11 likes this.
  11. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    what are all the buttons used for....as of now on project cars 2..i need..pit limiter..break bias..maybe lights.and wipers.and drs if im in a f1 car... seems what ever wheel i have has more than enough..is anyone acutally using 50 odd buttons during a race?
  12. Flouncy

Flouncy Rookie

If a car has adjustable TC/ABS, those. Headlights for day/night transition races. Wipers if variable weather. I have F/R roll bars on two dials so I can quickly set those with a big spin up or down. Energy systems if any kind of hybrid like new-era F1 and LMP cars - you need a few buttons/dials for that. Display driver names on/off. OSD/HUD on/off. MOTEC display cycling... etc.

Basically things you want access to but don't frequently use during a race. I easily fill most on-wheel buttons with stuff I need for a race, but yeah it all depends on the car. For current AC Supercars there's not much you need on wheel or off.

And it looks hell cool. And I can rest my watch on the toggle switches so I know what time it is :)
    Spidey_11 and PaulCox like this.
  13. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    sweet, i think it will make a great addition when i upgrade to a some pc racing...and 100% agree they look cool as :):):):)...thanks for taking the time to reply mate..helps alot
  14. B-Spec Bob

B-Spec Bob Team Driver

PSN ID
    B-spec-_-Bob
    Couldn't find a handy reference for the default PS4 button layout so I made my own.
    [​IMG]
    JonoStan96 and PaulCox like this.
  15. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    Had any problems with shifters not registering or pins on your rim Bob? I was really tempted to buy one but heard so many bad stories about the latest batches of these wheels that I decided to get the Formula Black rim instead.
  16. B-Spec Bob

B-Spec Bob Team Driver

PSN ID
    B-spec-_-Bob
    I was aware of those issues, but hopefully they would've found and fixed them at the manufacturing stage by now. Haven't really used it much but no issues so far.
  17. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    I think it's just pot luck Bob, sounds like yours is fine but on Reddit there are 2-3 people a day on there sometimes saying that their new wheel broke within days.
    Woody likes this.
  18. B-Spec Bob

B-Spec Bob Team Driver

PSN ID
    B-spec-_-Bob
    Just an update regarding my McLaren wheel, it appears to have failed towards the end of a GT Sport FIA qualifying session last night. I tried restarting the wheelbase but after the auto-calibration process the rev lights did not complete/turn off and the power light blinked twice. At the start of the race, none of the buttons and shifter paddles responded so I couldn't change gear and was forced to retire.
    I have been using it with the metal quick release adapter and checked the connector pins to confirm they were not bent or loose. To prove the failure wasn't wheelbase related, I borrowed a BMW GT2 wheel and completed the next FIA race without issue. I've already contacted Fanatec support so will hopefully get it repaired within a week or two.
    beakeroo likes this.