PC PC building & spec check

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    Yeah i did see and consider that, but i had to get something as my old CPU simply wasnt able to do it and i wasnt willing to wait. ill upgrade again in a year or so, and by then there should be some solid reviews on the 2nd GEN CPUs so ill know whether to jump or not.
    but yeah can confirm it easily runs AC and iRacing, both on basicallly max settings (single screen 1080P)
    Spidey_11 likes this.
  2. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    Hey guys, I'm considering moving over to the dark side and building a PC for sim racing. I've built several over the years so that won't be a problem, I'm just not up to scratch on gaming PCs as I've never really gotten away from the consoles. What will I need to run a HTC Vive at 90fps with some really good detail and what kind of price am I looking at?
  3. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

Don't skimp on the video card... if you can get a 1080ti or AMD variant especially if u want to run VR.
    Certainly gives you a longer run until upgrading again...
    my general rule of thumb is 2yrs for CPU/Mobo/RAM and 1yr on video between upgrades, but that's me... if you have no pc and starting fresh the initial outlay hurts...
    Any reason the vive over the rift? if solely for simracing u could save a little getting the rift and put those funds into other parts of the PC
    look on the vive site and see what recommended hardware is vs minimum... similar to what steam has for their games.
    What to get PC wise is such a personal choice there is no real wrong way... it's what you can afford and consider acceptable performance/gfx
  4. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    I've been using a friend's Vive Pro (is that the name of it?) And found that it was great. I liked the screen so that's really the only reason I'm thinking of that.
  5. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    The Vive Pro does have a higher resolution I believe, but then that means an evening beefier (expensive) PC is needed to drive it.

What is your budget? You could easily spend 3K before looking at the VR headset, but at least there are no online multiplayer subscription fees. Personally, I build a PC to last around 5 years and then upgrade the GPU half-way through, but only if there's a big enough performance jump to be had.
    There are rumors about new Intel CPU and nVidia GPUs being announced in the upcoming months if you're willing to wait (or save a few dollars on when current-gen hardware becomes last-gen).
  6. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    I'm in no big rush, I could even build a PC first and then buy the VR later. I could do $3k but it'd be a kick in the nuts.
  7. Rolz

vive pro vs rift is about $550 vs $1000...
    Screendoor effect is the same size, just vive pro has a small increase in res... for me not worth the extra $$$
    VR is def the way to go... my driving really has improved and as long as u don't get VR nausea it's a goer (IMHO) :thumbsup:
  8. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    I've been ok with VR nausea on PSVR in all but one game which apparently is a really bad one that makes everyone queasy.
    So a rift wouldn't take as much grunt to run, I'll have to give a rift a go.
  9. Rolz

Keep an eye out on FB - Sim Racing Australia Buy Swap and Sell group.
    Always a few nutcases wanting to get out of simracing and selling their PC’s
    If anything it gives u a reasonable price point idea on new stuff.
    c4rLo5 and Peter Wise like this.
  10. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Hey guys, to get the most out of VR right now (highest resolution with let's say a solid 90fps) what is the cheapest I'm looking at spending on the rig? I've just sold my barely looked at Xbox One for $400 and was going to buy another PS4 Pro to save me carting my current one from the sim rig in my garage to the media room. I also have a PSVR that I could probably sell for $500 that isn't used (a lot of games and accessories)
    I'm wondering if I should throw this towards a PC and make the jump.
  11. Rolz

Biggest outlay is the video card... now the Nvidia RTX2080 series has been released we should see a reduction in the GTX1080TI price... a quick ebay look is showing about $800 for 2nd hand

But you don’t really must have 1080ti for VR on the CV1, it just lets u dial more up at 90fps
    I was quite happily running a 980ti with ASW enabled at a smooth 45fps and they are now sub $400

My opinion is purely from my experience on AC (and a very little bit of iRacing).

HTH
    beakeroo likes this.
  12. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    My preference would be to get the best v/card you can afford as it is the one part of your system that will always need to be replaced in the next few years. It is always the one part of your system that generally has the largest impact in terms of how games play.
    I've never had the cash, so always went with bang for your buck range v/card.
  13. Woody

Woody Team Driver

PSN ID
    DrMoose007
    Not sure if there is a better thread in the forums for this but keen to know where the PC guys source their PCs from - are they home built or built to spec or off the shelf? I have priced up a few with some IT places but the prices range from $1800 - $3500 for essentially the same purpose. I'm not in a position to get one now but will be in the new year so want to start putting away some cash. Cheers
    Spidey_11 likes this.
  14. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    This thread should have all the answers you need ; )

Typically guys build to spec then home build upgrade as time goes on. That's what I've done, adding more RAM and changed the GPU.
    Spidey_11 and Woody like this.
  15. Woody

Woody Team Driver

PSN ID
    DrMoose007
    Thanks - I'll work my way through it :)
  16. Spidey_11

Spidey_11 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Spidey_11, Steam ID - spidey_11
    People use different sites and stay away from others due to reviews or recommendations.
    I bought my current PC from Aldi... You heard me right!
    Since then I've just changed a few things like case and power supply.
    I'll drop some links once I'm home.
  17. Woody

Woody Team Driver

PSN ID
    DrMoose007
    Keen to see the links! Thanks Spidey
  18. Spidey_11

Spidey_11 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Spidey_11, Steam ID - spidey_11
    https://www.pccasegear.com/
    A good looking site with details about the items.

https://www.mwave.com.au/
    Friends have bought from them as sometimes they are cheaper than other sites.

http://www.msy.com.au/home.php
    The place will most likely have a local shop pretty close to you. Plus they have good prices on items most of the time.

https://www.scorptec.com.au/

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/
    Build a virtual system to make sure all components work with one another. Price check items from multiple stores. Checkout other people’s build.
    krunch, beakeroo and Woody like this.
  19. Woody

Woody Team Driver

PSN ID
    DrMoose007
    Thanks heaps.
  20. Rolz

umart is one of my stable go to’s as well
    Woody and Spidey_11 like this.