PC PC building & spec check

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

2. Woody

Woody Team Driver

PSN ID
    DrMoose007
    Spidey_11 and Rolz like this.
  3. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    So I've been feeling the itch to build a new system, and against better judgement, decided the Black Friday weekend was the time to start ordering parts:
    • Intel 9900K CPU
    • Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390 Mainboard
    • Corsair 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Memory
    • Samsung 2TB M.2 NVME 970 EVO Storage
    • Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Case
    • NZXT Kraken X62 280m AIO Liquid Cooler
    • 2x 10 TB HDD to upgrade my NAS (so that I don't need 3 noisy HDDs in the next PC)

For now I'll be retaining these parts from the previous system:
    • Samsung 1TB SSD 850 EVO
    • Gigabyte nVidia Titan X GPU
    • Corsair 1000w Platinum PSU

This leaves me with the following near-complete system if anyone wants to make offers. (I'll hold onto it for a little while until I know the new system is reliable). It hasn't been gamed on that much since I'm always at work or out an about, but most recently it was running Forza Horizon 4 with ~Medium-High settings at 90-100 FPS at a 21:9 resolution of 3440x1440. Racing sims were easily handled at 1080p with High/Ultra settings and even VR worked well.
    • Intel 3750K CPU
    • ASUS P8Z77-V-Deluxe Mainboard
    • GSkill 16GB DDR3 2133Mhz Memory
    • 3x 2TB Western Digital Black HDD Storage
    • Coolermaster Silencio mid-size case (black, no window, sound dampening)
    • Corsair H80 AIO Liquid Cooler
    YouTube videos recorded on this system: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ryzza5
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Peter Wise, Spidey_11 and Rolz like this.
  4. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Geez man, not sure there'll be issues running any sim with that list of parts. Have fun with the build.
    Ryzza5 and Spidey_11 like this.
  5. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Recommend you create a FOR SALE: SYSTEMS tagged thread in the Classified's section when you are ready to sell ;)
    Ryzza5 likes this.
  6. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    How well will a Ryzen 3 3200G and a 5700XT run iRacing or ACC?
  7. Spidey_11

Spidey_11 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Spidey_11, Steam ID - spidey_11
    If you said ryzen 3600 I would say no problems at all and with good settings.
    I have the 2600 and when I had the gtx1070 it ran really well. Now I have the gtx2080 so I can't compare past that.
    beakeroo likes this.
  8. Rolz

sorry mate, not across AMD stuff to be helpful here... I'm purely Intel/Nvidia person
    beakeroo likes this.
  9. Sam D Blacklock

Sam D Blacklock Professional

PSN ID
    AE_CoolSam
    Wouldn't use a Ryzen CPU for gaming.
    I made the choice to go the Ryzen path a few years back and i definitely regret it. Even with a GTX1080 my mate with a 1070 and Intel 7700 had better frames on iRacing than me by a long shot.
  10. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    I'm reading opposite opinions on other sites. Maybe it's because you went Ryzen/Nvidia? From what I've read the new 20xx GPUs have problems with their drivers. That's why I was leaning towards the AMD way.
  11. jasondull1986

jasondull1986 Professional

PSN ID
    jasond1986
    Mate you will smash iracing with those specs i have a gtx1060 6gb and it runs iracing around 200fps Acc about 60 on high detail and that card looks about double the clock speed.
    beakeroo likes this.
  12. Sam D Blacklock

Sam D Blacklock Professional

PSN ID
    AE_CoolSam
    I don't have a 20 series card. I just generally found the trade off is very different between Intel/Ryzen but ah well.

Edit: @beakeroo i actually was just talking to a guy i race with. It's something to do with bad iRacing optimisation that makes Ryzen/AMD really under-perform.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    beakeroo likes this.
  13. Rolz

@Godzilla - I noticed in ur sig you run AMD, but Nvidia gfx... whats ur take on @beakeroo's question?
    beakeroo likes this.
  14. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

@beakeroo I dont see a problem with it, good CPU for the $. I have no issues but slightly higher spec 2700X. iRacing does rely primarily on single core performance though so Intel tends to be faster, really comes down to budget. I would err towards an Nvidia card though, generally more optimized drivers and especially for iRacing where 2000 series cards get improved SPS support for better frames
    KoAStR likes this.
  15. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

I have an RTX2060 (and i5 9400F) and have had zero issues with drivers and have had excellent performance with ACC - very good FPS with no stuttering or drops even during the most GPU intensive conditions (@marty's bloody storms).

I was looking at switching to Ryzen but it was the single core performance that made me stick with Intel. If you are using the PC for other stuff like photo/video/audio editing then the multi-core performance of Ryzen is reportedly better but for gaming it still seems to me like Intel offers the best value/$.

Have you watched the videos by hardwareunboxed? They do a reasonable job of going through all the pros and cons.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI8iQa1hv7oV_Z8D35vVuSg
    beakeroo likes this.
  16. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

I do think that having more then 4 cores helps maintain a higher minimum which it the most important thing if you are running VR, but VR and budget doesn't really mix too well, at least not in ACC, iRacing is a bit better as its a much older base engine
    beakeroo likes this.
  17. Rolz

18. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Well I've just taken my first baby step, I bought a new AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU. $229 delivered on eBay Plus.
    Next target is a 5700XT.
    Godzilla and Rolz like this.
  19. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    @Godzilla which mobo are you using mate, I'm considering either a Mortar Max or a Tomahawk Max. Other than size does one have any advantage over the other? I'm sorry about all the questions but PC is so over my head, I haven't built a rig for years and it's all moved on.
  20. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

All good, ask away, I'm using an ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi board. Have recently changed the CPU to a 3800X as well.
    A friend runs a very similar system with an ASUS Prime X470 Pro and another one uses a Gigabyte X470 Aurus Gaming 5 that's also solid.

Those two MSI boards look basically identical. I generally prefer to go for full ATX boards as you will have more space for any extra cards you may want to add later. I have a sound-card in mine which sits at the bottom to leave plenty of space for the GPU