Season 7 - Division 3

Discussion in 'PCLOZ Past Seasons' started by stucar17, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    I was loose, which sort of explains why we were better at different points.
  2. Anthonyb

Anthonyb World Champion Gold Member

100% agree it is worth trying each set up on each track its not aways better on loose
    Ad2mny likes this.
  3. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Full distance run tomorrow night if anyone is interested. Lobby up at 8pm for an 8:30 start.
  4. Anthonyb

Worth practicing your pit entry, boards are very early here.
  5. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Ah bloody hell got some stuff to do might try get on later will send out invites to anyone online.
  6. Bounty05

Bounty05 Professional Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Bounty_0_5
  7. George

George Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Tuddy5611
    Another so so round for me. Went to hard around lap 3-5 past Jim and got to close with to much pace on another driver, had to lock it up ruined the tyres and any chance of staying with the pack. Rain came and reminded me I had no chance of catching up as I was lapped. Retired and watched the front 2 fight it out. Happy to get the fastest lap though
  8. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Ok, seems we will lose half the grid to watch queensland wind the state of origin series !
    (didnt even realise till last week it was a sunday night this year)
    So we will postpone this weeks race, and move on to Round 6 at Brands hatch the week after....
    Has been a disjointed season for sure, hopefully next season is a little more streamlined...
  9. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Absolutely gutted with my results. Had 2 runs aborted due to traffic in qualifying, but my final run nabbed me 3rd. Got away well and was in second for most of the first lap until the final double lefts where the car spun out on the brakes. Got going again at the rear of the pack and then spun again at the first tight left. What the hell is going on? A lap or two later I spun again at the last double lefts and then I finally realised that I hadn’t adjusted my brake bias. DAMMIT!!

The rest of the dry stint I was either trying to catch or trying to keep at bay @kayne greenwood. Stayed out a lap longer than most of the drivers and nearly paid the price as the track just tipped over too wet for slicks at those infamous (for me anyway) double lefts. Turned TC to low and set off, losing the battle with Eeesteeedeee to trundle home 6th on track.

Just a heads up too guys, we (the Stewards) have unfortunately had to disqualify @fatmix68 from the race due to multiple track extensions at turn 12. Please ensure that you all carefully read the driver briefing before each round to make sure you are aware of anything that might be out of the ordinary for the upcoming circuit.

So we have this weekend off, see you all next Sunday
  10. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Good job last night guys.... Racing with a full grid is the bomb !

For the enduro next week, i have updated the OP with start and weather slots etc.... I will confirm if we run fuel on or off after i do a race run (prob tonight).....
    Jim_aka_The_Man, Ad2mny and George like this.
  11. fatmix68

fatmix68 Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    Fatmix_GTR
    a few seasons ago when we combined 2 divisions we had a rolling start with the 2 division separated by a gap which i thought was a good idea is there any reason we didn't do that on Sunday. Don't get me wrong still enjoyed the race with full grid i'm just curious.
  12. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    What a great race, and the difference it makes having a large grid. Some last minute 'backroom' discussions with @Anthonyb got us combined with Div2 for a full lobby.

Did not qualify as well as my practice times indicated, but of course they are deceptive when you run the fuel down and go out on fresher tyres after 10 or so laps. Lighter car means faster laps.

So starting from around mid pack in 10th wasn't too bad I suppose but I was dreading turn 1. Didnt make the mistake this time of not setting my brake bias so I was ready to rock as soon as the lights went green. @Blindman and @fatmix68 started rubbing together and veered off track before turn 1, gifting me a few places, but I was way to cautious into turn 1, and lost my position to @seowster on the run up Hailwood hill and into Druids. Gained a few more places with drivers spinning off the circuit in the early stages, and by the final sector of lap 3 I was 5th and starting to find my groove. Seowster was now within pouncing distance but it took a couple of laps to get the move done, all the while @Jim_aka_The_Man was closing on my tail and starting to make threatening moves in the mirrors. Starting lap 5, I got an inside line onto the front straight, but seowster got the cutback and we ran 2 wide. At one stage it was nearly 3 wide with Jim looking for a gap in the middle but the braking area came up and I somehow stayed ahead around the outside and was now 4th. I slowly opened the gap over the next lap, but Jim found a way past seowster on the front straight and started his pursuit.

@MarkH was a few seconds ahead but still a good incentive to push harder. Try as I may though I couldn't break Jim slowly but steadily reeling me in. Lap 7 I made my first mistake, running wide at Hailwood and losing 4th to Jim at the hairpin. It looked like he was gonna pull away, and I started pushing a bit too hard, sliding the rear around, and miscalculating corner entries, turning in way too early for turn 1. I took a deep breath (wooo-sah) and tried to find a groove again. At Hawthorn, Jim ran too deep, and with dirty tyres rejoined but got hung up on the outside curve at Westfield, having to slow to stay on track and I swooped back past into 4th.

My next few laps were PB's. Jim was still pushing, with seowster close behind still in the hunt. Deafdude was a dot in the distance now after my off and dice with Jim.

I'd made the decision early on to pit early. I had heard in midweek testing that you could get about 18-19 laps before the tyres cried no-more. I planned to pit on end of lap 12 and hope that no-one else made that decision and I wouldn't get held up, with the added bonus of a few laps in fresh air with shiny new tyres. As the laps counted down I started to get concerned about the tyres lasting as long as I'd hoped, as by lap 12 I was beginning to notice the front pushing. Oh well I thought, a lighter fuel load might be a little less harsh to the tyres.

I'm not sure if I was distracted knowing I was going to pit or the tyres were at the end of their performance but Jim closed right up over the lap, and by the time I peeled off to the pits he was right on top of me. My strategy paid off. I was alone in the pit lane, and when I came out @natmanscoop was up ahead but a lap down, still driving a good pace though. My next two flying laps were also PB's where I set my FL on lap 15 with a 1:28.026 as I come to the pit exit Deafdude jumped out just ahead, so either he'd had a shocker or those 2 laps in clean air paid off.

The chase was now on, with DD so close I could taste that position. Up ahead @George was falling back towards us pretty quickly on old tyres, and by the next lap still not pitting he was still fighting for position but in no position to be able to fight. But fight he did and I guess seeing a rival from div3 he was gonna make it as hard for me as he could. DD slipped past at Bottom straight. I got a tighter turn at Southbank but I was running off the track trying to complete the pass. The next few corners were expertly blocked by George and I couldn't find a way past until he ducked into the pits.

Now DD had pulled a nice little gap, but had a 10 sec penalty next to his name. If I could stay in that buffer then 3rd was mine! Then lap 18 @Blue XR8 pitted (for the second time) and now it was a battle for 2nd. It really felt like I was going to be able to maintain the gap, but slowly DD opened the distance between us, and another little off lap 23 at Hailwood (AGAIN!!) and DD was well and truly out of reach, and now seowster was back on my tail. From here on it was just a desperate run to try keep 3rd place. Lap 25 we both nearly got tangled up with a spinning back-marker, seowster coming off the worst and dropping back. Lap 26 I was really starting to feel the disadvantage of pitting so early, and in the end I only just held on to 3rd with Jim approaching fast.

Well done @Aykay on the win, and Mark for 2nd.

And as if that wasn't enough, heres a 40 odd minute replay...

Thanks again Div2 for letting us join, definitely do that again if the numbers work out.

On to the final enduro round!

So for this Division, a victory and fastest lap, cant complain about that. Well done also to Jim and seowster for the podium positions.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  13. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    We decided that it would just be easier to run the divs as one, and split the results at the end.
    Anthonyb and seowster like this.
  14. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Oh and I went with stable setup this round, as I like to use the kerbs here but loose setup doesnt.
    Anthonyb and seowster like this.
  15. Anthonyb

If the numbers allow it it will be on again this week. Bring on the full grid
    Ad2mny likes this.
  16. George

George Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Tuddy5611
    Had a decent race this round. Unfortunately I fell off the track 1st lap from behind Jim so played catch up the whole race. And sorry @Ad2mny it didn't click with me that we were so out of sync, thought you had had an off and I caught up. I tried to keep clear of the div 2 drivers and concentrate on racing our div. Toward the end I was just trying to chase down @fatmix68 to no avail. Look forward to the enduro this Sunday
  17. Jim_aka_The_Man

Jim_aka_The_Man Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jim_aka_TheMan
    Had a awful qualifying, however I’ve never been great around this track, started from P14.

Had a good start and kept my nose clean through the first few corners and before I know what happened I was sitting 6th overall / 3rd for div. I knew I needed to not make too many mistakes, mainly because the penalty here can be harsh.

I had a couple of slip ups, but just kept my eyes fixed on the car in front and it paid off. Great work from @Ad2mny & @seowster for a great battle all night.

PS - My 2 cents, I am a massive fan of if divs are combined, we run it how we did. Rolling starts and splitting grids is a pain, and takes away the chance for the first few corners being intense racing. Yes, it also has the potential to go horribly wrong, however it would be the same scenario if we had everyone who registered actually turn up!
    stucar17, George, seowster and 2 others like this.
  18. micmansour

micmansour Rookie

PSN ID
    micmansour
    I finished second last in this one unfortunately. Was taken out on lap 1, then tried to pick my way through the field. Lap 11 or 12 and my car's grip was gone! What did I do? Pit in for Hard Slicks! What a mistake! The next 18 laps were torture, and I just never recovered. Got lapped by most of the field. Lesson Learnt I guess.
    TBH, a little bit over this BMW now, hoping for a Ferrari of some sort next season! ##cough cough 488 Challenge cough cough##
  19. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Ad2mny likes this.
  20. seowster

seowster Rookie

PSN ID
    seowster
    Hey morning folks, I'm out in the last race. A big thank you to all on a great season and keeping my Sunday nights interesting.