PC PC building & spec check

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Jul 23, 2011.

1. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    Now after reading up a little more I'm wondering if I should future proof my board by going with an X570 Pro
  2. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

The main thing you would gain is PCI-E 4.0 support so depending on budget it may not be worth it. If you wont miss the $ difference then sure, wont hurt, but also wont gain you performance so if this a "to a budget" build then I wouldn't do it. Plus X470 boards don't generally have any fans to break/make noise while most if not all the X570 boards need a small fan to keep cool
    beakeroo likes this.
  3. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID

Ok, that bit about fans I didn't know. I don't really have a budget but I'm a bit of a bargain hunter. I'm selling off my PS Vita collection as it's a) massive and unused and b) apparently worth around $4k so I thought it's time to make the jump across. Still, I don't know if I'd spend that on a PC.
    2700x, 5700 XT (reference), X470 Pro yada yada yada. Am I right to expect this to be on another level to anything capable by the PS4 Pro or Xbox One right?
  4. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

A good PC will always be on another level to consoles, just much more power available and lots of cool sim toys.
    If you work out a budget I’m sure it would be easy to plan something good. The eBay % off discounts are a good way to save some $

4K would be a beast if a system. With PC hardware things can change quickly as well so worth saving the $ and getting everything together or very close to
    Rolz likes this.
  5. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    I bought a Tomahawk Max for $175. From what I've read it'll suit my needs. Just waiting on the right deal for a 5700 xt or a 2070 super.

Edit/ Cooler Master H500P Mesh Case is also now incoming.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    SteveDrivingSlowly and Rolz like this.
  6. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Hey mate, what's going to be the best GPU I can throw in this build without being bottlenecked by the 2700x or the Tomahawk Max.
  7. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

I would aim for a 2080 Super, or even normal 2080 if it’s much cheaper
    The 2000 series cards get a good benefit from Nvidias single pass stereo in iRacing, much more so then 1000 series and others.
    beakeroo likes this.
  8. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Damn you, I knew it.
    Godzilla likes this.
  9. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Added ram to my list of incoming deliveries.
    (Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM Memory)

I just need the PSU, SSD, HDD and the expensive part now...

edit/ hmmm pc-part-picker is telling me that the Tomahawk Max and 2700x aren't compatible. Any idea if this is true @Godzilla. The regular B450 Tomahawk was/is.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  10. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    So I returned the 2700x and got a 3700x on the way. I've decided to get a 5700XT in the short term and maybe go big in 12 months time on a new gen GPU.
  11. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Good choice, decent single core gain from the 3000 series and they are still improving with BIOS updates
    beakeroo likes this.
  12. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    And now I've added a Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce to the build. That one hurt a bit.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/beakeroo/saved/vf6f99

Just need the SSD, HDD and PSU now. Is the PSU I've selected overkill? Will ever reach that much power if I were to OC this thing to the max?
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  13. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

Looks sweet...
    on mine I chose the m.2 drive (500GB) as primary boot drive... then SSD's for games and SATA for general storage.
    I have a Corsair HX850 in mine so no, I don't think overkill :)
    Thoughts on why not go DDR4 3600MHz over the 3200MHz? only really $50 more
  14. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    I was told to just buy 3000 or 3200 and overclock them to 3600. Apparently that model OC's really well.
    Rolz likes this.
  15. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Gee that's cool @beakeroo I had no idea SSDs were getting that cheap. Unpaid about the same for my 120GB as that 1TB is costing you.... Might look into getting one as a gaming drive.. Also like @Rolz I don't reckon the PSU is overkill. I have a 750W in mine running a lower spec CPU/GPU than yours ;)
    beakeroo likes this.
  16. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Yeah I was surprised by the pricing of SSDs now koastr, last one I bought a few years ago for the media server/family desktop really was a painful thing to buy. I think it's only 120gb so I might replace that one soon as it's showing it's age already and pimp that pc out a little bit more.

What's the take on cooler master PSU's guys? I was going with super flower but having checked the local pc store prices (and finding them surprisingly good) I could get this finished quicker if I bought the last few pieces from them.
    KoAStR likes this.
  17. its-benny-racer

its-benny-racer Professional Gold Member

I've used Cooler Master gear (cases and PSUs) in the past with no issues. My old desktop has one still going since 2009.
  18. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Sweet, maybe that the go then.

Ok so VR, is my rig going to be able to run it well enough to bother with it?
    I've still got quite a lot of my Vita gear here to sell and I'm now considering VR instead of triple monitors if my rig will do it justice. I'm liking the look of this https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/pc/251756-vive-pro-mclaren-limited-edition
  19. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

Personally go Oculus for VR, out of the box support for so much out there without stuffing around... $300 for a 2nd hand CV1 and saw $450 for Rift S... I was tempted to get that Rift S... Going from what @Godzilla is saying the Rift S is a decent upgrade to to CV1... I was dubious about the upgrade, but if Godz is making the call I respect it as being worth doing. :thumbsup: Now to somehow get it past the Minister of Home Affairs :cautious:
    beakeroo likes this.
  20. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Definitely Rift S, very happy with the upgrade over the CV1 and it just works very well as its probably the most supported platform.
    You do lose the deep blacks in the Rift S compared to CV1 and its definitely notifiable at night but not really an issue and if you haven't had them before then wont know any different anyway. Can also forget about using the built in headphones but my old ones were broken long ago so I was using different headphones for ages now.
    My 1080Ti does very well for performance, the 2070 Super is about the same performance level these days so wouldn't be an issue, Looking at your build list if you don't absolutely need the mechanical drive save some $ and stretch to the 2080 Super as it will give you that bit more to help VR. Can always add a mechanical drive later.
    KoAStR and beakeroo like this.