ACC Help a slow bloke...

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Competizione PC Monday Night' started by Wally, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Wally

Wally Team Driver

I want to get faster (don't we all). It would be really good of someone quick to post their telemetry of a hotlap at the upcoming Nurburgring, so I can compare my own lap (same car, same temp). I already know the answer is brake later and get on the throttle earlier - that's what it always is. But I'd still like to see where I'm losing my time.

If you don't know how to get the telemetry, you go to your setup, and on the electronics screen, you set telemetry laps to 10 or so. Then, when you finish a stint, you'll get a couple of files in your Documents\Assetto Corsa Competizione\MoTeC folder: *.ld and *.ldx. If you could zip them and post them, it would be much appreciated.
    c4rLo5, marty and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.
  2. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

I’ll be online later tonight to do some setup testing, but secretly hoping that @Captain Barracuda already has a setup I can pinch on race night... don’t think I’ve done many laps in the AMG as I have Boatley, so looking forward to Wednesday... Nurburgring is arguably my fav track in ACC :D
  3. andyo450

andyo450 Team Driver Super ROOZ

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhFSHJFDC2uXjkdTXatG95PVgwXx
    Some rough laps in the 2018 Bentley around Nürburgring GP. Pretty sure most of them were invalid. Temps were 25 for both air and track. Time started at 9am.

Its a lot more complicated that braking later and getting on the gas earlier. The first thing to make sure your doing in using all the track where you can. T2 at Nürburgring you don't want to because the extra speed from a wider corner isn't worth the time it takes to get the car over to the right ( also in ACC theres no grip over there off the rubbered line) but most other corners its the easiest way to find laptime.

The biggest difference between the quicker guys and those a little off that pace is probably going to come down to how the release the brake pedal when entering a corner. Releasing it smoothly means the weight over the front axle doesn't come off as abruptly. This keeps the front more settled, which means a more consistent car on entry and also slightly more front end grip. Its really apparent in high speed entries in softly sprung cars but still has a decent effect to gt3s.
    c4rLo5, Wally, Godzilla and 1 other person like this.
  4. Wally

Wally Team Driver

Thanks heaps Andy. Was this a custom setup, or a preset? I've used the aggressive setup with only pressures tweaked.

This is the kind of thing I'm after. This is the NGK chicane, where I lost a heap of time. My pedal trace is red; Andy's is green. The braking is a good example - Andy brakes later, harder to 100% and then releases the brake more smoothly, as he said. He stays in 3rd while I drop down to 2nd.

He stays on the throttle longer. You can see how I'm accelerating out earlier than Andy, but before I'm even fully off the brake, whereas Andy doesn't overlap brake and throttle.

The downshift is interesting too. Andy downshifts beautifully as he's jumping off the throttle, so the engine blip is perfectly smooth. I'm downshifting well after I'm off the throttle, so I get a blip spike in the throttle.

[​IMG]

So many habits to break.... this all adds up to 5 seconds over the whole lap. :eek:
    Gotta start trying to change one thing at a time.
    c4rLo5, Rolz, andyo450 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Wally

Wally Team Driver

First attempt:
    [​IMG]

I downshift (closer) to when I'm off the throttle, stay in 3rd, get on the throttle when I'm off the brake (but too late - there's still a big gap of coasting). I still don't brake hard enough (may have to lighten the load cell).
    But lap time already improved from 1:59.130 to 1:57.932 (trying to downshift as I'm jumping on the brake around the track, which makes me brake later).
    c4rLo5, Rolz, andyo450 and 1 other person like this.
  6. andyo450

andyo450 Team Driver Super ROOZ

The laps before lap 5 were default aggressive. After lap 5 i made a few changes, i cant remember them all but front arb and some damper adjustments i think. I found the bentley was a bit unsettled on turn in and has a slight bit of on throttle understeer in a few spots.
    Wally likes this.
  7. nanlatt

nanlatt ACC Server Legend Gold Member

I was going to ask if someone would be willing to share telemetry. This is invaluable to learn how these fastest guys are achieving their lap times. It's hard to know if you are losing time everywhere or in particular places. This is really the ony way to find out. Thanks Andy for sharing and Wally for asking;)
    Wally likes this.
  8. Rolz

Wally your breaking doesn't look right at all o_O
    For me (especially with the GT3's) I bang on those breaks as fast and as hard as u can then back off as I enter the corner... in theory I'm trying to achieve what Andy does... would be interesting to see if I do.
    You aren't even getting to full break application so straight away you are going to take longer to slow down...
    Maybe breaks need to be made more sensitive in ACC for you to adjust?
    Also what is the NGK chicane? I've tried googling track corners and this one doesn't jump out.
  9. xlxy90

xlxy90 Professional

PSN ID
    xlxy90
    [​IMG]
    Rolz likes this.
  10. Rolz

ok... I was looking at the GP track layout where we don't actually hit NGK Chicane, but Veedol :)
  11. Wally

Wally Team Driver

Yeah Rolz, I mentioned I'll try reducing the pressure of my load cell to make sure I hit 100%.
    Rolz likes this.
  12. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

This is a great thread, Wally for president and thank you fast guys for sharing your experience.

I often feel like I am awesome when racing against the AI and then when I join a race here up against you gents, I feel totally dumb and like I just don't get it and will never get it. The little nuggets of info shared during the post race chats or during practice are gold for noobs like me. So good on you Wally for asking the question here!

Personally, I'll go through a cycle where I just can't work out how others are going faster and then it takes like...weeks...of thinking/you tubing/reading/driving until suddenly some small, tiny thing will click and I'll find some time. Still never even in the same ballpark as the fast guys here but edging closer month by month.

I just in the last 10 days or so discovered that what I had thought was effective braking, or at least what I had been doing when trying to trail brake, was totally off in a subtle and completely important way.

First off I was smashing the brakes hard (as I'd read/heard about) and then releasing them completely which created the weight transfer problem Andy alluded too above. When I tried to 'trail brake' I was smashing the brakes hard, releasing them about 80% (20% braking strength) for about 0.01 metres before getting off them completely and thinking this was it...but the other guys were just doing some kind of magic to be faster. Of course I wasn't really trail braking at all and this was mostly the same as braking hard and releasing, but I didn't know what it was supposed to feel like and I hadn't really thought through what I was trying to do, so just assumed I was doing it right.

Then in between the first and second zolder races in the last week I watched a bunch of Driver61 videos and started to really understand the whole issue of weight transfer. I changed up the way I was trail braking and started to hit the brakes hard, release very gradually at first down to 90% strength, then 80% and slowly reduce braking strength but still hang on the brake deep into corners until finally trying to smoothly back out and then smoothly get in the throttle. I was thinking about trying to balance the weight of the car on the front wheels so that there was weight there when I needed grip there, during the turn in.

Mind explosion. This reset everything - my brake points and turn in became completely different and it took heaps of time to adjust what I was doing on track (where to begin braking and turning in) but in the end I found 1.5 seconds off my previous best lap times and average lap times and was able to brake so much later than before...and much more safely and consistently. It felt like I had actually started to control the car in much more detail throughout the whole braking phase, I was aware of what it was doing, of where the limit should be and there was less guesswork and hoping involved. Unsurprisingly I drove so much better in the second race.

What had stopped me before was my failure to realise that changing braking would change so much about my brake point and turn in, and that previously if I had ever accidentally got this kind of right, I was actually losing time because the car was slowed down too early, and I wasn't ready to turn in, therefore I wasn't gaining the benefit of having the weight on the front wheels and...and...and...so many other factors.

Then I had a practice on Nurburgring last night and I was totally :):):):)house again. Difference being I have 0.2 of an idea about where I can start to sort that out now!
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    LuciuxNexx, Rolz and incey like this.
  13. Wally

Wally Team Driver

At the end of every race, I'm thinking "why am I 3 seconds off the pace?" The answer is in the telemetry, but the hard part is changing 10 years of sim racing habits and teaching an old dog new tricks.
  14. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Cool thread, I havent done any laps here yet not even sure which car I will run but will try save telemetry tonight and put it up. Could be cool if a few guys were to do it especially on the Wednesday night to give people something to look at for the coming Monday.
    nanlatt likes this.
  15. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Would be cool to compare people quali lap if anyone is up for sharing that
    nanlatt likes this.
  16. Wally

Wally Team Driver

I'll post my Motec workspace later on too. Might be useful.
  17. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

18. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    Don't worry buddy, I'll make you look much better real soon...
    c4rLo5 and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.
  19. Wally

Wally Team Driver

20. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

please hurry