ACC ACC season 01 rnd4 Paul Ricard Enduro cup 2hr Enduro Dec 2nd 2019

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by marty, Nov 26, 2019.

1. nanlatt

nanlatt ACC Server Legend Gold Member

After looking at the replay @Coanda it looks like I did squeeze you at the apex, sorry about that. I didn't realize you were that far up. Wish I has triples, single screen can be so hard sometimes.
    SteveDrivingSlowly, Coanda and marty like this.
  2. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Well done all that started and all podium getters, results are in post 2 and also in the season entry thread next to all rounds. With current point standings in its own thread, good to see a few finishes. Bad luck to the few that got DQ's and the Disco, auto DQ is set to diabled for the servers so its a bit odd it still does it. Best to try avoid speeding in the pits plus its well worth doing pit in practice when your running laps in a server as you can lose much more time there then you will find with many laps in practice during the week.
  3. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Lucky Melbourne has gone back into Winter this week, I think it may be snowing outside atm. :eek:
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  4. AGK

AGK New Recruit

Thanks for the racing, longest online race I've ever done.

Missed my pit box, stopped and took a while to realise why the pit crew was ignoring me. So I had to start car, reverse back and try again. This time the "change tyres" checkbox was unchecked and I couldn't change it as it was grayed out (I think it was enabled when I was entering pit lane, not 100% sure) - so not sure if my tyres got changed. I was still doing similar times at the end of the race, so I'm guessing they were changed?

Also forgot to check fuel before race start and got lost in the formation lap position as I was fiddling through all my menus trying to see what fuel load I had, eventually found it on the dash display, had a full tank after all. Sorry to those behind me wondering what I was doing with my erratic speed.

Other than that, didn't have any contacts or spins so I'm pretty happy with that.
    tezpez85 and marty like this.
  5. Coanda

Coanda Team Driver

It's all good mate there wasn't much in it and besides it didn't change the outcome of my race because I had a meltdown after the first pitstop. That last corner is one of or if not the worst for us single screen drivers.. I'm looking into upgrading to triples however the aussie dollar is sh!t right now.. Thanks for the post.. :cool:
  6. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

The Driving Slowly Report: Episode 4.

[​IMG]

After flirting briefly with the idea of improving, the team has agreed that with this comes highers expectations, more pressure and therefore the potential for greater disappointments, and as such voted against it. So it was agreed before the race that eating a large bowl of over salted pasta that would lead to nausea and heart palpitations would be the correct pre-race preparation.

This played out exactly to plan during qualy when after one lap I had to stop and go outside for a bit to get some cool Melbourne air and try not to vomit. Continuing into the race session, somehow I got an amazing start and picked up a few places. Constant calls from the team via. radio ensued and it was decided that I should have a brief but very exciting battle with Wally to make it look like we were trying, before spinning dangerously before the straight. Luckily no one was hurt - apologies to all who were close by.

Following this, an unpleasant 45 minutes of mixed overdriving, underdriving and driving/other would pass mostly uneventfully until physical discomfort began to ease and some pace and consistency would threaten to return. Here we began to make up some time against our rivals Wally and Nando. Again the team got on the radio and it was agreed that the best approach would be to smash into the wall at the start of the straight at the maximum achievable speed in order to correct for this - and in short order this instruction was dutifully carried out. Entering the pits and stopping short, restarting, inching forwards, stopping short again, restarting a second time and then finally getting to the correct spot were further methods employed to avoid any kind of success.

In the last thirty minutes the car began to feel good and as other drivers picked up penalties or made mistakes, we were able to climb from 14th to 11th position and despite all the efforts of the team, it looked like something good might be about to happen. With any other team this may have been possible - but that is not how we roll at Team Driving Slowly. We hire only the most talented pit crew and these are the kind of guys you can rely on to see opportunities, to look ahead and imagine a future where we can achieve our true goals and go for it. It was with this in mind that Big Tim, chief Refueling Calculator Man (cRCM) had expertly predicted the amount of fuel that would be required to run out one lap short - and thus ensure that through stopping again we would not have to face the embarrassment of finishing so high (!?) up the running order.

Well done to all around me and I apologise for my untidy drive tonight - I practiced heaps for this but just felt bloody awful during the race and had zero concentration. Amazing job to anyone that finished that, and well done to the podiums! Looking forward to next week already.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    tezpez85, mesafto, Wally and 6 others like this.
  7. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Rookie

This reminds me of the time Michael Scott carbo loaded with a massive tray of fettuccine alfredo before the fun run :eek:
    [​IMG]
    tezpez85, Rolz, Pablo and 2 others like this.
  8. SteveDrivingSlowly

hahaha yes!
  9. jlynn777

jlynn777 Team Driver

Sorry guys I was the same as Rolz. Perth is in a heatwave atm and my afternoon sun filled room with no air con was a no go. Hope you had a good one!
    Rolz and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.
  10. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Nice summer may start in the south east in a week or so then. :roflmao: Not so Summery atm with temps in Melbourne close to the coldest they had all year and good snowfalls in the mountains.
    [​IMG]
    Hotham, December 2.
    I had the heater on in the house lol, global warming sure is cold these days. Must have been one of the the coldest/wetest Novembers we have had in Melbourne and December is off to a flying start. Maybe Kunos is doing the weather setup here and its a bit :poop::poop::poop::poop:ed up lol
    tezpez85, Rolz, krunch and 2 others like this.
  11. mesafto

mesafto Rookie

Thanks all for the epic that was Paul Ricard Enduro.

Also, thanks to Marty for the tip on Aero and Rake for the Porsche. I've gained quite a lot of car speed because of the tricky ballance that Porsche bring to the table.

Started the race and lost a place to Frosty we were line ball for most of it till the sun started to set. Didn't realise how difficult it would be to hit the apex of T1 when the glare is bad. Got pinged twice for gaining an advtange. Made up a few spots with Marty and Tez coming together i think. Was looking to hold off Tez and Jorge who were coming back through untill dammit got another penalty and so i had to pit. Came out in 7th for the second part of the race, was looking fine till i had a massive shunt with Gao coming out of the pits (15 minutes to go). I was suprised that the car was still drivable but rear was loose as a goose on Signes. Luckily I didnt lose any places and held off Laurenson who brought the gap from 30 seconds to 2 as I hit the chequered flag (P7). Thank you to Vandelay for being patient whilst he was a lapped car and Gao for the apologies, all good. Probably just a reminder to call "exiting pits" as a safety precaution.

Did anyone get FPS stuttering 75% through the race yesterday?
    tezpez85 likes this.
  12. GravityMsc

GravityMsc New Recruit

BTW, I had a massive race last night. But did I drive out of the pit line when you come? Actually I didn't notice that and just drove slower to let you pass before T1. Anyway, this race has gone finally. Paul Ricard, Misano and Budapest, I have not driven these 3 tracks in ACC until last night. GOD BLESS ME!:(:(:(

PS: Hope my Internet proxy works well in the future...
    SteveDrivingSlowly and mesafto like this.
  13. SteveDrivingSlowly

Maybe someone more experienced can correct me here, but I think if you exit the pits within the white exit marker lines, you are OK to come out at normal speed and the driver approaching on track must give room...or do I have this backwards? This happened twice to me last night with cars exiting as I was coming full speed into T1, and I just stayed on the inside line and managed to pass safely without losing much time.
  14. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Yes thats my understanding too in the race, as long as you enter the track inside the lines then your ok to come out at regular speed and others on track need to adjust their line. A track like Paul Ricard has a pretty tricky pit exit but those on track can clearly see a car has exited pits.

In qualifying its a bit different as you don't ever want to pit out in front of someone on a lap, that's when you can slow on pit exit and wait for a clear run to avoid impeding anyone's lap.

I really don't see the need for everyone to say exiting pits, nothing more annoying then hearing this 30+ times over discord. During a pit window or in an enduro like last night its reasonable to expect everyone in the field to exit the pits at a certain point of the race. You just need to take more care and avoid running into the pit exit lane unless its clear.

The same with calling out thanks to every car that lets you past or using in game chat to do this, its fairly distracting and if everyone does it every time then that's quite a lot of extra chatter that's really not needed IMHO. A simple flash of the lights or indicators can indicate thanks to the person without distracting everyone else in the server.
  15. SteveDrivingSlowly

Also Crew Chief is pretty good for letting you know when a car is approaching as you exit the pits, and also when a car is exiting the pits as you approach - it is not perfect and there are some other bugs that can be annoying, but this plus the spotter is well worth it in my opinion.
  16. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

Yeah, in the transition between sunset and night my PC went real choppy despite being pretty powerful.

A long race that one, tried to make the best of getting turned in a few racing incidents with @marty and M. Jorgensen. A shame the Ferrari is an almost guaranteed stall when spinning. I had several laps after the stop battling Jorgensen to re-take 6th place and must say he was defending very well - pretty enjoyable sparring. Ended up 5th but @andyo450 was coming up to lap me by the end, so definitely need to find more pace around these shorter, mid/high downforce circuits.
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  17. mesafto

mesafto Rookie

Maybe im at fault? All I remember is driving on racing line(pit straight) seeing a ferrari at last moment, tried to avoid it and wam bam, thank you mam. Does anyone have a replay file?

Also, this is probably one of the rarer tracks where the pit lane exit is on the racing line....

Noted: nil radio call outs.
  18. andyo450

andyo450 Team Driver Super ROOZ

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhFSHJFDC2uXjnhzSGboXjA-2Ozj?e=VFmivj Its only from lap 36 onwards I think but it caught it.
    Yea looking at it I would say its on you @mesafto. It looks to me like you had enough time to react but I imagine you were checking something on the hud (pretty sure we've all been guilty of this at some point, I know I have). Usually the track map gives you an indication of when someone is leaving the pits but it was particularly useless at Paul Ricard.

Paul Ricard was never designed to be a race track which is why the pit exit is in such a silly spot. It was originally intended for use purely as a test track. In real life they have a few cues to tell drivers when there is a car entering though. Theres a big yellow LED arrow that lights up when a car is exiting that we don't get. The guys in the pits get a blue light at the end of the pits when a car is on the start straight as well which we also don't get as far as I know. Pity they're not in ACC, it would be a massive help.

For future reference though it will probably cost you somewhere around .005 (completely scientific number and absolutely not a guess) per lap to stay left a tiny bit longer until its safe. Also that was a nice 360 recovery.

My race was pretty boring. All I had to do was go completely flat out with no mistakes for 2 hours. Not tense at all.

Well done Barracuda and Marty on the podiums.

Did the guys who got dq'ed get reset back to pits with locked controls? If dqs are off in the server config it may let you keep driving and clear the dq at some point. That's the way it used to work earlier, not sure if its been changed in the last few updates though.
  19. marty

marty AC Server Legend

I added the race highlights to the second post but will put them here too.

Sorry to @tezpez85 for the spin, we had a few position changes and then when he was fairly clear ahead but outside my car ran a touch wide giving him a little rub and spun him. I waited but as he stalled he said to go on which I did but having lost a couple of spots and was well off 3rd.

With my limited running I was still getting a feel for the car so in the end was quite lucky to get a podium.
    tezpez85 and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.
  20. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

I completely agree that no one needs to call out "leaving pits". It's up to the driver on track to be looking out for that, and for the exiting driver to take some care re-entering the track. Also the Crewchief app calls out cars exiting the pits which is handy if you have that app.

Marty I understand your desire to reduce distractions but here at Rooz there has always been a little bit of friendly banter during the race and I like that. Obviously not fullblown discussions or trouble-shooting sessions but the occasional thanks or comment is cool. It stops it from being a super serious competition and keeps things friendly. Let's not lose that. :)

Personally I don't find the chat box to be a distraction, but going on my current racing form I appear not to be noticing brake markers and apexes either so... :p
    jlynn777 and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.