ACC Should we lengthen qualifying for Monday night races

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by marty, Mar 18, 2020.

?

How long should Monday qualifying sessinos be?

Poll closed Mar 23, 2020.
  1. 10 Minutes

47.6%
  2. 15 Minutes

33.3%
  3. 20 Minutes

19.0%
  1. LuciuxNexx

LuciuxNexx Rookie

I voted 15 minutes, but I'm ok with 10 minutes.

Taking 5 minutes out of the Practice session is fine, and moving Quali 5 minutes earlier. doesn't affect the schedule, you're still going to run into traffic, and usually there is an opportunity to practice during the week, for some/most (not me).
    TakFR likes this.
  2. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

When trying to compare things to the real championship we have to consider the fact that we don't have a whole team behind us with a chief engineer and tactician to help us optimise our track time. As a 1 man team it's impossible to know where the best gaps are or whether to let the guy behind through so you have a bigger gap or who best to try and follow, etc.. Until someone builds an AI team strategy system we really only have the option of a little extra session time to help us get a good lap in.
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  3. marty

marty AC Server Legend

The poll is looking like it will go to 15 minutes as its 10 votes to stay and 11 votes to extend with majority of extend votes going to 15 minutes.

In the Blancpain series in real life a team strategist wont help, take this Barcelona qualy session as an example, small track 60 cars, lots of red flags and heaps of traffic.

The extra 5 minutes will give more time but also more people coming out of the pits more often so being aware of traffic will be critical. When exiting the pits if there is a blue flag this means someone is likely to be coming down the straight as you exit. At Monza there is no need to go into the fast lane on an out lap until you know the track is clear behind, same as no need to get into t1 if it means someone else will be held up. There is never any need to cross the pit exit line in qualy and even in race the line is there for a reason. Cars racing on track can cross this but cars exiting the pits need to stay right of this line.

The MFD time gaps are reasonable enough to see gaps to cars ahead behind and who is a pro or am, if your in qualy and get a blue flag then make sure you dont impede anyone at all, also dont do any weird moves. A few tenths lost is enough to lose a lap at Monza. If your stuck in lots of traffic and everyone is on a hotlap then bad luck, you can get yourelf out of the mess possibly and try to find some space behind while not got in the way of others at the time.

If you have gone invalid on a lap or your splits are not very good you can abort the lap and find a gap, also thats where you should give way to any cars if your shown a blue flag.
    krunch and LuciuxNexx like this.
  4. kuda

kuda Rookie

15m felt right :thumbsup:
    Shawn Jacobs and marty like this.
  5. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

Yes 15 was perfect, I had time to do three bad laps and then pout in the pits for 5 minutes
    Flamebadger and krunch like this.
  6. marty

marty AC Server Legend

My second run had traffic every lap so it really made no difference to me. But that can happen in any session and any length of time. Nobody got in the way on outlaps so that was ok at least from what I could see around me.

For the 2x30 sprints it will still be 2x10 qualy still but will be 15 minutes on all other race formats this season.