IRACING iRacing General

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by beau261, Sep 11, 2011.

1. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Hey mungbeans ... wotz the haps!? I've missed you all ... even you, Dusty ;)

I still can't really come back into the fold ... still living in the boonies with only 3G mobile broadband ... but somebody told me I can practice offline even with dial-up (apparently, all I need to do is log into the server and then my offline session is thereafter totally remote), and so I'm going to start lapping again ... just coz I miss peddlin'.

Have tried to get sorted with wireless NBN but they're jerkin' me around atm. Will keep at it ...

I've got some new hardware coming ... once that's all up a working I'll lurk here to keep up with all you nutbags ... though it does seem a little quiet in this neck of the forum. If you see me the iRacing server though, I probably won't be on TeamSpeak or anything ... not until I can source a decent net service.

Laters ... :cool:
    DekGT5mad, KoAStR, WAC and 1 other person like this.
  2. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Hey hey back from dead. Good to hear from you mate! Good luck with the wireless NBN. ;) Hope you get something sorted.
  3. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Have a look at an article(1 page) i wrote in the GT5 connection issues thread on use of mobile broadband for ps3,but it applies to i racing as well.It explains how to set it upso it doesn't bandshift,which is the cause of disconnection.Also says about hardware options that make it possible.I had the problem at the last house i rented because i was not paying $800 for a rewire as there had not been a phone connection there for over 30 yrs,& the landlord wasn't either,his stance was"internet is not yet considered an essential installation like hot water,stoves, & lights,etc" i said "YET! The days aren't far away where it will be an essential part of mainstream life,creating a sub-class,that can't or don't want to have any part of it and pricks like you will feed off their misery and get richer!" lol Needless to say,i got out of my lease early when i found a better house i could afford to rent.lol but it still was 11 months,so i worked at the MBB until i got it working.i have pics of multiple speedtests on youcompare.com,which has a genuine speed & latency test,as they aren't trying to sell you driver updater bull:):):):) programmes and such. They show results of 10,000+kbps download,4500+kbps upload with a 22-32m/s ping,that's better than ADSL2+!lol Anyway have a look,you might be able to swing it!
  4. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

G'day Derek ... thank you. I absolutely will give your post a read. Cheers :cool:

@ Dave ... yeah, right ... you're all "Whoop" and "Welcome Back" now ... but give it 5 minutes and you'll be like "Jeez, will you ever just frig-off, Rigby! Who got this nimrod to come back anyway!? Carn ... can we change domains and ditch this bozo !!!" ... ;)
    KoAStR and DekGT5mad like this.
  5. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    ROTFLMFAO:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    I Copied it and started a convo with ya,as i,the author had trouble finding it!lol Good Luck!:D:D
  6. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Any of you guys doing the GT3 cup? I'm playing around with it at div 7 level,but can't make up my mind between the RUF & the McLaren.
    I'm in the 2.04's in the RUF this week at bathurst,but i haven't had time to try the McLaren as it took a bit longer than usual to set-up the RUF.Anybody got a set that i can go out and not waste time tuning to get to 2.04's,only to go faster?I'm happy to share my RUF set:)
  7. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Well it seems it's not all bad news on the speed-front afterall. A week or so ago the RUF Cup was at Oulton and I was a full 4 secs slower than the quick guys ... and I've never been 4 secs off the pace in anything, not even the V8SC ... and so I was a little disheartened. But a couple of things have happened since ...
    • #1 - I gave away the RUF C-Spec
    I cannot drive that thing for love nor money ... I absolutely stink in it ..! I can't get any sense of where the traction is at, either in or out of turns, and my trail-braking doesn't sit well with its understeery nature ... if your braking isn't all done before the turn, forget it ... and as a result I was constantly locking-up, or pirouetting, or just driving like a useless turd o_O
    • #2 - I started trying to maximise the info going to my hands and feet ("feel") by dailling in my FFB settings (in-game Minimum Force setting), tweaking (in-game) Brake Factor, my pedal calibration (esp. determining best full-throw on the brake pedal), my wheel lock-to-lock (BMW rim + CSW-specific), and I've also now unchecked (in-game) Linear FFB.
    The last couple of items: The Linear FFB, for me, seemed to create a bigger dead-zone around wheel centre ... or maybe it made any small amplitude outputs around the dead-zone even smaller so that they could be "linear" with respect to bigger amplitude FFB information. Regardless, I just seem to lose "detail" around centre with it switched on ... and that wasn't good ... so switched it off and instantly was more in touch with the car. Then with the size (large diameter) of the BMW rim ... that also had the effect of reducing the apparent magnitude of the FFB, added to the sense of a lack of detail/information. So after a little fiddling I now have the wheel set to 820 degrees rotation (Fanatec menu) instead of 900 and it has made a huge difference to my ability to respond to the increased detail.

The other tweaks also helped with "feel", and together, all this fiddling has cut big chunks off my lap times; after giving away the C-Spec I tried the RUF Track and, this week, even though I've never raced at Zandvoort before, I'm withing a sec of the truely speedy (Div 3, perhaps) :cool:
    WAC likes this.
  8. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Jump on TS Mate! Not much action goes on here no more. I'd be kee to run some laps with you in the gt3
  9. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    I didn't read your original post monkey. It'll be good if you get things happening again.
  10. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Mate ... there's nothing I'd like more than hooking up with you and the other fellas for laps 'n' giggle ... ok ... maybe there's a few things I'd rather do ... but not heaps and heaps of things :p

When I test in spectator sessions my "L"atency sits about half-way in the red ... at best. Sometimes ... most times ... the packet loss doesn't seem to affect my driving ... other times, when the bar goes full (retard) red I can't hit a single apex. But that's not really a concern ... I'm having fun. I haven't joined a live session mostly coz I'm more worried about impacting other iRacers ... I don't wanna be the muppet who keeps flashing in and out, or appearing suddenly and putting people out of their groove. In theory though, while I'd never take this connection to a race, I could trundle around trying to catch you speedsters in a practice session, but I don't know if my connection could handle TS and iRacing simultaneously ... I'd have to pull over to the side of the track to talk, just like with a mobile :rolleyes:
  11. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Meh. I've grown tired of excuses. Get it fixed! ;)
  12. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Heh ... me too ;)
    Drew Wauchope is gonna set up a hosted session this week and drag me in to see how my connection goes ... will update.
  13. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    @AJ.Scott - I'd be interested to know your thoughts and impressions on iRacing having come from Assetto Corsa, GSC rF2 etc.
  14. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Id be glad to pass on my opinion mate, but I'll need some time to actually get afew iRacing laps/races under my belt, but yeah i can do that :)
  15. motho

motho Team Driver

PSN ID
    motho
    I've just started on iracing and love it, don't have much to compare with other than gt6. Are there many Rooz members still on iracing?
    DekGT5mad, hairybear and KoAStR like this.
  16. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Sure is motho! there's a small bunch of us on iRacing. Jump onto our Teamspeak channel if you have a mic. More than welcome.
    Glad you're liking it.
  17. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    How do i find the teamspeak channel
  18. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Hi guys, wondering if I can get a little advice on the quickest way to get out of rookie license, Ive looked at the suggestions on iR's site, but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Ive done some test laps in the MX5 @ Okayama, but finding things a little difficult, mainly with low speed grip in some corners being a particular pain in the arse, the other issue is me over driving the car..........a lot :mad::oops: this is easy to deal with.......more time on track!!

As this is my 1st encounter with iRacing, any advice, hints or suggestions from the ROOZ iRacing members would be greatly appreciated.:)

Cheers
  19. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Hey Derek,
    You'll have to download the Teamspeak3 app first (if you haven't already) and then use the following server address.
    ts36.gameservers.com:9432

Hey AJ,
    I'd be happy to do some practice with you any time. Give a bit of advice etc.
    Best way to organise things on iRacing is through TeamSpeak.

Cheers
  20. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Thanks for the offer beau, I'll be on a little later, almost tucker time and I'll have to change my rig back for PC, but this only takes a few minutes, hopefully it wont be to late for you as Im in West Oz mate,:eek:
    but I would certainly appreciate the assist in getting to grips with iR's physics and tyre model :):D