PC PC building & spec check

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Sam D Blacklock

Sam D Blacklock Professional

PSN ID
    AE_CoolSam
    Hey guys, so here are my current specs:
    CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8320 8 core
    RAM: Kingston 16GB HyperX FURY DDR3 1866 MHz
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Edition
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5
    PSU: 600-750 can't remember which one i put in.
    HDD: 1TB Seagate
    SSD: 222GB Sandisk Ultra

Anyway, i did some major testing last night, and found that my PC is underperforming.
    Ran my PC against another PC which had:
    CPU: i7-6700
    RAM: 16GB DDR4
    GPU: GTX1070
    Motherboard: Unsure
    PSU: Unsure
    HDD: 2TB unsure on brand
    SSD: 256GB unsure on brand

And found that the second PC listed was outperforming mine, In identical situations with identical graphics settings on iRacing my PC was sitting at 137-144FPS while the other PC was sitting at 193-197FPS. I assumed it was a CPU bottleneck as that was the problem i had before on a 4 core processor, but after running some tests i found that the 8 core was handling the card fine, however i am still confident i am not getting the most out of the card. Checked GPU temps, nothing seemed odd and after trying to work it out for 4 hours yesterday i'm left wondering what it could be.

Anyone want to try this and see what results they get? Would be much appreciated.
    Assetto Corsa
    Single Monitor 1920x1080
    Spa in the Audi R8 GT3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If there are any settings i missed that could effect this let me know.
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  2. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    With the new AMD Ryzen 7 CPU's they're advertising a 52% increase in IPC (calculations per tick) to catch up to Intel after 5 years of not doing much.
    Working backwards then, we have to assume (all else being equal) your current CPU is ~52% slower in that regard - and it's a pretty big regard (although over-simplified of course).

Racing simulators in years past have often forgone nice pretty graphics and focussed on simulation. That simulation (tyre model, collision detection, damage model, aero, audio, etc, etc) is all done on the CPU. iRacing shouldn't be too bad as it has no AI. Neither does your Practice Session in Assetto Corsa.

One test you could try, is to compare equal race events, where the only difference is AI. Check FPS with 0 AI, and with max (i.e. 64 if possible) and see what kind of difference you get when racing mid pack.

Anything above 100 FPS is pretty pointless on a 60Hz monitor though. More cores is good for things like video editing/rendering, but there aren't many games that take advantage of them yet. Most seem to perform best with 4 cores (since they're so common in gaming PCs) but actually lose FPS with 6, 8, 10+ cores. As 8-core prices go down and become common, we can expect new games to run better on them.
    Spidey_11, KoAStR and Sam D Blacklock like this.
  3. its-benny-racer

its-benny-racer Professional Gold Member

There could be any number of factors in play there. I would expect games to generally run faster on the i7 due to better IPC and faster DDR4 memory.

Were the graphics drivers the same? As that can also have a big impact on game performance.

I wouldn't expect to see any gain from having 8 cores compared to 4 unless you had other processing loads running on the PC in the background. Especially as that 8 core AMD only has 4 FPUs the 8 cores refers to 8 ALUs (or integer processors).
    Sam D Blacklock likes this.
  4. Sam D Blacklock

PSN ID
    AE_CoolSam
    Yeah, either way i'll know if it really is something wrong once i get some feedback on the test i listed as i feel as though it may have just been iRacing.
  5. bencrow-

bencrow- Rookie

PSN ID
    bencrow-
    It's the CPU and possibly the ram. The only differences between your pc and mine are CPU, motherboard and Ram and I can run the game at 60 fps @4k with little to no drops in framerate at close to max settings.
    My current specs are:
    CPU: I7-6700k @4.6ghz
    RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 @3200mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX1080 FTW
    Motherboard: Asus maximus viii hero
    PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 G2

Edit:
    If you want to upgrade soon and are on a buudget wait for AMDs Ryzen 5 CPUs, they're going ot be cheaper but will be 6-core and 4-core rather than 8-core
  6. Sam D Blacklock

PSN ID
    AE_CoolSam
    If i get a new CPU will i need a new board?
  7. bencrow-

bencrow- Rookie

PSN ID
    bencrow-
    Yes, and possibly RAM depending on what CPU you go for
    Sam D Blacklock likes this.
  8. Sam D Blacklock

PSN ID
    AE_CoolSam
    Oh boy, money's just an object right??????? hahaa thanks for that mate.
  9. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    Sorry for the hijack but I'm probably going to pick this up on the weekend, thoughts? (sorry for PS1 spec screenshot)
    [​IMG]
    Peter Wise and Sam D Blacklock like this.
  10. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    Looks good, but I can I tempt you to stretch for a nVidia 1070? I'm not sure on the price difference but from the benchmarks I've seen it performs extremely well. That said that Free/Used disk space spec seems to indicate that this PC is second hand.

I suggest adding another HDD (mechanical is fine) for storage. Games are getting pretty big these days. This is a relatively small set from my collection installed since the last time I formatted.
    [​IMG]
  11. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    It's second hand, one my cousin built late last year, getting it really cheap for family rates. I only want it for iRacing and other racing games so I'm not looking to go into extremes. I have a 1 TB hard drive at the ready so storage shouldn't be too much of an issue.
  12. Beau_Albert

Beau_Albert World Champion

PSN ID
    iRacing: Beau Albert
    I take it you have no interest in VR/Triple Screens? If so that Graphics Card will be ok for a single screen. Should get Good graphics at a frame rate similar to what your used to on the PS4.
    However if you ever have left over money, i can vouch for the 1070 though. I'm running most things on high and 150+ frames isn't an issue.

On a separate note....
    HOLY :):):):) I LOVE MY PC. I was worried about the huge pricetag but after my first night of it, i'm not regretting it one bit :D
    Now that i have a good PC again.... i wonder if anyone would be keen in me doing my HTO/S5 style race edits again? ;)
    Spidey_11, KoAStR, Hatfield and 2 others like this.
  13. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    Nah not into that stuff, I just want some hardware to help me enjoy racing again. I've been yearning for iRacing ever since I played it with @MINT_GTR at his sponsor's shop.

At this stage I'm just going to get to grips with it and when the time is right and my wallet is heavy I'll look at upgrading.

And yes more videos please, between my F1 videos and your HTO videos, I enjoy all of them.
  14. Peter Wise

Peter Wise Professional

PSN ID
    copperj32. Steam: copperj32
    Jump into AC on Monday nights Jono. You will have a blast
    Spidey_11, KoAStR and Rolz like this.
  15. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    I plan to try that too, PS4 version of AC is terrible, however the PC version is superb.
    KoAStR, Rolz and Peter Wise like this.
  16. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    yeah i got the PC version of AC last night, so im gonna have a spin tonight and see how it goes. could possibly make me pull down my for sale ads on my racing gear, but we shall see
  17. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

Haha... you will :roflmao::thumbsup:
    Zachery likes this.
  18. Spidey_11

Spidey_11 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Spidey_11, Steam ID - spidey_11
    Add all the Monday AC boys to see and discord and we'll cut some laps :)
    Rolz likes this.
  19. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    That new Intel 7820X is looking tempting, pair that one up with a nVidia 1080 Ti... :inlove:

(obviously completely over the top for gaming, but I do plenty more than that)
    Rolz likes this.
  20. its-benny-racer

its-benny-racer Professional Gold Member

I've been waiting to see what Intel's answer to the Ryzen would be, and here it is, i7-7820X, and for those who don't think that costs enough, there's always the 18 core i9-7900X!
    Sam D Blacklock, Beau_Albert and Rolz like this.