New guy from Brissy

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Pixeliz3d_DoD, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Pixeliz3d_DoD

Pixeliz3d_DoD Rookie

PSN ID
    Pixeliz3d_DoD
    Hi All,
    Just a new guy who wanted to drop by and say hi.
    Quick spiel, have been playing many a racing games since I was younger, although I tend to dabble in lots of different games, I keep coming back to the racing genre. I am 35, live in Brisbane and play both PC and PS4.

I have been playing around in GT Sport with a controller since it was released (started way back on PS1 with the original Gran Turismo when I was a teen, and even further back with other 'racing games' on the NES/SNES etc) and finally today made the decision to buy a wheel today - Xmas savings and what not. Totally excited and super nervous in the same breathe! I know my times will not be anywhere near what they are on a controller, and that's where you fine people come in.

I hope I can join you in-game and get some tips, practice and hone my racecraft to be somewhat efficient and post some solid laptimes, all whilst being clean and respectful (sadly this is missing from most games nowadays). I have done some track days in RL, and hope some of that will translate over.
    Have not got a rig yet but that will be in the near future. Any recommendations I should look into? Not planning on spending stupid amounts, but a reasonable setup I will consider.

My PSN is Pixeliz3d_DoD so hit me up. I look forward to seeing you on the track

Thanks for having me and can't wait to shave those PB times :thumbsup:
  2. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    Come to the right place mate:) im very new myself and u wont find better people more excited to help you out :) as for ya rig i just got 2 from panagian imports ( one of the sponsors here ) a gt ultimate and a f1gt with thrustmaster gear... not sure what u consider a stupid amount but they have all levels there.
  3. Pixeliz3d_DoD

Pixeliz3d_DoD Rookie

PSN ID
    Pixeliz3d_DoD
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks for the welcome.
    Yes I did check out Pagini imports and they look the better option from what I have seen so far. And stupid amount is around the few thousand dollar mark. Im just not ready to drop that much cash..........just yet. If I find I really like it and get into the sim racing side, and it works out cheaper than regular track days over a year, then i would consider moving into the higher price bracket, but for now, I was looking sub 1k.

I have just been trawling through some of the threads and seem like a really good bunch of people, which is why I joined. I consider myself 'good people' too haha o_O
    Anthonyb and Hoppy (benny11169) like this.
  4. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    Where u do ur track days mate, im NSW and have hit up wakefield park before.
  5. Pixeliz3d_DoD

Pixeliz3d_DoD Rookie

PSN ID
    Pixeliz3d_DoD
    Haha I'm originally from Canberra and Wakefield was where I first got on track. That's pretty much been the majority of my experience. I have also done a day at lakeside up here in Brisbane but need to get more time there. Have also done a few laps with that 'rally experience' and want to go back for more.

Giving the missus a 16 lap voucher for the rally one this xmas, because I got the wheel today :rolleyes:
    PaulCox likes this.
  6. POPPINFRESH1234

POPPINFRESH1234 Team Driver

PSN ID
    PoppinFr3sh987
    @Hatfield
  7. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    If you would like to partake in this season (round 6 tonight) or next (early next year) please send me a qualifying time
    http://raceonoz.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-qualify-for-gt-sport-season-races.2969/
    Pixeliz3d_DoD likes this.
  8. Pixeliz3d_DoD

Pixeliz3d_DoD Rookie

PSN ID
    Pixeliz3d_DoD
  9. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Hi Pixel welcome.
    On PC we just wrapped up our 13th season of Assetto Corsa. If you're interested in AC search 'raceonoz' in the server list there'll be something happening between now and S14. Monday and Thursday nights are popular.
  10. Pixeliz3d_DoD

Pixeliz3d_DoD Rookie

PSN ID
    Pixeliz3d_DoD
    Hi Koastr, will have to check it out.
    Pretty impressed you guys run regular races so I will take a look. I'm sure more questions will follow haha.

Haven't played AC but keen to have a go :)
  11. Anthonyb

Anthonyb World Champion Gold Member

Welcome to rooz mate great bunch of guys and girls here. Don't hesitate to ask any questions there is usually someone with an answer (may not be the right answer but it will be an answer). If you end up on pcars 2 I'll see you on track.

What wheel did you end up with.
    Ant
  12. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    :thumbsup:
    Drop into the discord voice channel sometime any of the guys will be happy to help get you started.

http://raceonoz.com/forums/index.php?threads/pc-rooz-voip-discord.173/

I also run a bit of Dirt Rally on PC but mostly just the codies events more than setting up our own.

If you're looking at gear from Pagnian be sure to use the discount codes for Rooz members.

http://raceonoz.com/forums/index.ph...-level-racing-and-thrustmaster-products.3032/
  13. Pixeliz3d_DoD

Pixeliz3d_DoD Rookie

PSN ID
    Pixeliz3d_DoD
    Hi Ant, thanks for the warm welcome.
    So much info on the site so I'm reading up between the missus nagging me to do housework haha.

I was originally looking at the Thrustmaster 300 gte but found $600 a bit hard to swallow for a first time wheel and read the hit and miss regarding quality. My lil bro who races online suggested the g29 and found a deal for wheel and shifter for $350 so I bit the bullet yesterday and got it for myself. Then reading more I came across the horror stories you guys have had. I have a 2 year warranty so that will tide me over, get some seat time and if I'm racing regularly, will put some money away each month for a possible future upgrade. Plus gotta clear the coffee table to mount it and figure how to rig the pedals so they don't slide across the tiles :mad:

But gotta crawl before I walk haha
  14. Anthonyb

I run the g29 had a few problems with it on pcars1 but i think it was more of a game glitch than the wheel. Bang for buck its a good wheel imo they say not to have ffb too high for the first few hours apparently it is good to run them in (not sure if that is true but doesn't hurt I guess) and the 2 year warranty is a good thing I got mine changed with no questions asked and warranty started again.
  15. Pixeliz3d_DoD

Pixeliz3d_DoD Rookie

PSN ID
    Pixeliz3d_DoD
    That's it, bang for buck, and as a newbie, figured it couldn't hurt to give it a shot.

When you say not to have the ffb too high while breaking it in, what is considered too high? I will be playing gt sport so should I run it at say 2 or 3 for a while? i think the default setting is around 5 from memory but haven't really taken notice until now.

Also thanks Koastr, I will defs check the discord out, and I will be looking for a cockpit too so pagnian will be my first choice. I saw a decent cheap cockpit for around $500/600 so gonna probably invest in that. I will check but you might know, is it adjustable? As in, I'm 6'3" and the missus is 5'6"ish, will I be able to adjust for her to take a crack in it? And more importantly, will I be able to fit into it haha. The more she gets a go the better chance I can get away with buying things
  16. Anthonyb

Haven't played gt sport but the lower the number i guess the better. It will feel light and crap but a couple of hours and I would start to increase it.
  17. Pixeliz3d_DoD

Pixeliz3d_DoD Rookie

PSN ID
    Pixeliz3d_DoD
    Great will do, thanks man. I reckon it will be quite a change from the controller.
    Anthonyb likes this.
  18. Pixeliz3d_DoD

Pixeliz3d_DoD Rookie

PSN ID
    Pixeliz3d_DoD
    Awww yusss!

Just tried to setup the wheel to the coffee table, but it's too thick. Went to op shop and found a little kids table for $5, was able to jimmy it together with plastic table and some timber off cut! Ghetto racing is born! o_O

Watch out now hehe. I would take a pic but I'm sure it will crack the screen.
    Anthonyb and Hoppy (benny11169) like this.
  19. POPPINFRESH1234

POPPINFRESH1234 Team Driver

PSN ID
    PoppinFr3sh987
    They are adjustable, has seat slider and adjustable backrest just as your car would.
  20. Pixeliz3d_DoD

Pixeliz3d_DoD Rookie

PSN ID
    Pixeliz3d_DoD
    Omg perfect. Will Definately take a look. Thanks Poppin