GT Sport Season 2 Division 4

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by Hatfield, Jan 6, 2018.

1. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    doh, work on getting back in the good books for next week
    Dosy and Tristan Jones like this.
  2. Kieran_B33

Kieran_B33 Professional

PSN ID
    TacticalHomework
    I'm out too... still no net
  3. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Qual
    [​IMG]

Race
    [​IMG]

Timings
    [​IMG]
    Tristan Jones, Jcp and Russell like this.
  4. skintsaint

skintsaint Rookie

5. Tristan Jones

Tristan Jones Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jonesy82360
    What a race...i started dismally, ended up racing in clean air and got better towards the end.

In my practise I knew there was but a second difference between a good RS and RM lap - but that I wasn't very good at pushing hard on the woeful grip that the RM offers on this track. By the end of the first lap I was last with 10 seconds to catch up to 9th. That was 2 minor offs, which I found I am getting much better at recovering from - heavy brakes as soon as you know you won't make the corner helps heaps, as does accepting you won't make the corner. The off wasn't even because of bad grip - following traffic was slower, and I didn't do my usual 5th to 4th change on corner entry - was already in 4th, muscle memory changed me to 3rd, then I accelerated too much getting back to 4th - and went off. Simple mistake, lack of practise with other similar paced cars on the track in front of me.

Not sure what happened to @skintsaint - was that a lot of mistakes, big off track adventures or hardware issue? 5 laps down? I was happy to see I wasn't last anymore, though couldn't work out if skint was having problems or had a 2/3 stop strat and was going to overtake us all. I was starting to catch @fezza, having a good battle for a while trying to catch him, i was reducing the gap slowly at times, but was getting at least one corner wrong most laps, and would lose all the gains, and while both on RM he was consistantly quicker than me on the last 2 corners - good racing! I saw him trade places with others a few times, but knew I wouldn't catch them without someone making big mitakes. Got plenty of clean air in front of me, but on the RM that didn't help.

I knew my strategy was going to be to pit early and get as much time on RS as possible, because I felt much more confortable racing on them. The only question was how early, because RS do lose their grip eventually - and I didn't want to have to do a 2 stop for fuel - even though this pit was relatively short. I wanted to get an undercut on the middle pack - I knew the leaders where way in front after my offs in the first 5 laps. I knew I could make fuel last when I was hitting lap 10-11, but wasn't sure how well the RS tyres would be handling if I went that early. I bit the bullet lap 13 (i think?), and came out second last? - feeling sorry for skint, way behind? Almost had an off coming out of pits, was it incey came flying past me, someone else close to me too? No worries, all clean, settle the nerves, back to racing - I have RS now! This is where my race began, had a great time from here. The RS had much better grip for me here, didn't really translate to much better lap times, there was a second or two in it, but the noticeable difference was that there was much less nail biting and wondering if i would make the corner. I chewed down the gap in front from 24? to 18 seconds and waited for the mid pack to pit, enjoying the clean air in front with the RS on. I passed a few people as they pitted, easy passing there! Undercut worked a treat, I knew I wouldn't catch incey and the front pack, and figured now it was all about the gap behind me.

So started the last bit of the race - Fezza came out of pits 6? seconds or so behind me, and again the gap grew and shrank and stayed around 4 seconds for a while. I was getting worried he was so close to me when my tyres where going to be wearing out sooner than his. He got the gap down to 3 seconds for a while, but would revert back to 4-4.5 seconds, sometimes it was me when I would nail a corner perfect, but sometimes he must have been making a few small errors. All of a sudden I saw @Dosy overtake him, and fellow BHR teammate @AroGantz ovetake him later, but Fezza kept coming back to 7th right behind me. There is a great spot after Druids hairpin you can look right and see the racers 4-6 seconds behind you before entering the hairpin. I gotta stop watching the race behind me sometimes, but was interesting to see who was where and how close they all where, Dosy Aro and Fezza looked like they had a great battle for the last half of the race!

Eventually, the gap behind grew to 7, then 9, I was wondering if it was mistakes and offs, or just slower laps from worn tyres.Either way, I breathed a little easier, and I concentrated on making sure the worn tyres didn't end me, especially considering I had a bit of breating room. Finished the race in a much better state than I had after the first lap or two!!

Congratulations to the podium, way out of my reach at this track! I would say looking forward to Bathurst, awesome track - except it has a history of not liking me. Last season I had my only last place at Bathurst - and was lapped. I knew nothing of fuel strategy at the time however, still raced with TCS3 (it was Gr3 after all) and didn't practise anything like the amount I do now. Bring on Bathurst!
    Dosy, skintsaint, fezza and 4 others like this.
  6. Antmeg26

Antmeg26 Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    antmeg26
    One race to go until the end of Season 2, the season title should go to @Jcp or @Deltron has had the outright pace in the last two races but @Jcp has been consistent all season. My early favourites were a couple of Div3 dropouts but @incey and @skintsaint have faded a bit. I suspect they like the crowd much better in Div 4 and want to stay with us. @Dosy may have to change back his ‘tang’ as the modifications to the body (making it wider) have not worked and has slowed his pace (and others).

@Johnnoclint thanks again for hosting all season and it seems like it has not affected your racing too much through the season.

A second place at Brands is my best result in two seasons :D and I did not pass one car on the track:thumbsdown:. I qualified 4th and held it until @skintsaint tried to continue along coopers on the Indy track, I almost followed him off on the first lap. In third behind @Jcp, @Johnnoclint was putting pressure on for a bit then @incey turned up behind and he was applying the blow torch then he went to the pits early for RS? I thought I would do the same but not until he posted the fastest lap which did not happen. I assume he got caught up trying to pass. I followed @Jcp for a long time until he pitted and held first for a few laps during the pitstops I pitted end of 18 and came out in third behind @Jcp again and followed until he made a mistake on turn one and remained in second until the end. It was a fairly quite race really compared to the normal antics back in the pack. You guys up the front don’t know what you are missing.

Bathurst in the dark will be hard for me. I luv driving Bathurst, I just find it tight due to the walls and less room for my usual mistakes. I will wear a blindfold all Sunday to increase my night vision. See you (don't think so). Feel You (Nah). Meet you then.:roflmao:
  7. Tristan Jones

Tristan Jones Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jonesy82360
    After the shock of Bathurst at night during the meet n greet the time got changed to 18:15 Sunny...which I am all for - as I found lots of my high speed brake markers are off track, and completely invisible at night. Not that I couldn't relearn, but I am already nervous about bathurst! I take it this time change is still correct?

The championship looks likely to be Lukes, unbeatable if his pace at Bathurst can get him 3rd or better (w/o account for PP/FL) after adjustment. If he doesn't get 3rd, JCP can snatch 1st if he win the round, or Johnno could (with pp and fl) if Luke gets 6th. Incey could technilly win, but needs Luke at 9th and to beat JCP/ Johnno by a few spots.

Pending protests of course, I lead the midpack with 61 after adjustment, Dosy 59 Ant 59 Skint 58 - close race between us!

Technically I could beat Incey and come 4th overall...but I would need 2nd and Incey to not race.
    Dosy, Luke and skintsaint like this.
  8. CaptainRisky21

CaptainRisky21 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    CaptainRisky21
    18:15 sunny is night...

Track looks awesome, should be a good challenge
  9. colin-50_

colin-50_ Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    colin-50_
    hay Emmo next series i am going to try GT Sport
    Kieran_B33, emmo46 and Hatfield like this.
  10. Antmeg26

Antmeg26 Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    antmeg26
    Yes most of us had good eye sight when we were 14.:cry:
    I am just jealous of your youth. It is great to hear you are having so much fun. :thumbsup:
    I hope you are still spending as much time doing your algebra homework as you do on the PS4.:laugh:
    Dosy, Matthyus, incey and 2 others like this.
  11. CaptainRisky21

CaptainRisky21 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    CaptainRisky21
    Yes, i still do my homework
    I am tasting completely unexpected success in my first div 1 season, reguarly challenging for 2nd. @KeedenMcdonald
    Dosy and Antmeg26 like this.
  12. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
  13. AroGantz

AroGantz Team Driver

PSN ID
    AroGantz
    Well last night was an utter disappointment to me, I was really comfortable at this track compared to the rest of the tracks and qually wasn't bad but I still ended up 9th, I think that apart from JC and Luke everyone was within a few 10ths of each other so 9th was fine. After a really good start with Dosy lighting up the bags I went through the first corner and hairpin side by side with Jonesy and was sitting happily in 6th after Skint went for his nature tour and just settled in behind Incey, Johno decided to do a fence inspection and came back on behind me so I figure the fence was up to scratch and he was content with its integrity while I continued to shadow Incey until Johno blasted past me and Ant, Incey, Johno and myself had a nice little train happening for a few laps until incey hit the pits on lap 5 and I was in 5th and felling quite happy with life, Dosy was 6 seconds back with Incey harassing him so it was comfortable ......... Then lap 9 happened........ I have noticed every race that my grip just disappears, I've put it down to pressure racing in the past but last night it came back after about 6 laps and I realised that it always happens at about 6pm local time do my net must take a hit after the neighbourhood has dinner :( during those six laps my safe gap disappeared and I had my only spin to end up in 7th, at least this season I have learnt to deal with what is thrown at me and just got on with it and just looked forward to getting on the softs. Dosy was the next to go for a wander and he followed me into the pits so I knew it would be on for the rest of the race, we came out to chase Jonesy and were doing quite well until some miscommunication on braking points bumped me into the sand on the final turn (thanks for redressing Dosy) which brought Fezza into the fight and it was one hell of a fight for the next 5 laps with Fez and myself trading places a couple of times but I couldn't hold him off at the end.

All in all a disappointing race to add to a disappointing season with Bathurst going to be hard work but I learnt a lot so bring on season 3.

Congrats to the podium for a well run race thanks for hosting again Johno.
    Dosy, skintsaint, fezza and 2 others like this.
  14. skintsaint

skintsaint Rookie

Was a poor race for me - didn't get any real practice in before the race due to a busy Sunday, but got a good 3rd position on the pole which I didn't expect - especially as was running 6th fastest in the few laps warm up before the race. Race start got caught out by JC braking way earlier than I did on at Surtees - so rather than take out my teammate and I had to take evasive action. Decided to go onto softs and caught upto Jonesy within I think 3 laps, then a incident with Incey coming out the pits meant again I had to take evasive action and end up again in the sand. Pretty much game over, any advantage I had was done. Then about 10 laps in my missus would not stop phoning my phone so had to take it incase of an emergency so just pitted up. She couldn't get the keys out the ignition so after 5 mins of me trying to work out why she had the car in Neutral. Very frustrating for me (women and cars :( ). Felt like just quitting but not in the spirit so came back out to try and get a fastest lap. Did have 1.28.1 as optimal but couldn't put a error free lap in. Summed up my race when gaining on johnno in 4th and followed him into the sand on the last lap lol. Really notice when you don't put the practice laps in during the week, the standard of the league has improved a lot as well since race 1. Good stuff :)
    Dosy, Matthyus, Jcp and 2 others like this.
  15. AroGantz

AroGantz Team Driver

PSN ID
    AroGantz
    I wondered what happened to put you 5 laps down.
  16. fezza

fezza Team Driver

PSN ID
    FeZZa_21
    I was doing pit strat algebra in my head when I overcooked it on one of the corners so the 2 behind me passed me :) had an awesome great last few laps catching and passing @AroGantz on the last lap.
  17. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Qual
    Went about as I expected. Qual'ed 5th which set my expectation of where I sat with outright pace. I knew that Luke, JC, Ant, Skint were all faster than me over singular laps.
    Race
    First lap was tight and after Skint took a off on the 3rd corner, I took one on the next (Fence inspector is now on the CV!! :)), wasn't too bad but dropped a couple of spots.
    As aro mentioned incey, aro and I had a nice chain going for a couple of laps, but I jumped aro on the hairpin with an inside overtake.
    Incey pitted on lap 5, allowing me 4th. Well done on 5th with 2 pit stops, so Good race mate.
    Settled down and went to work on nailing clean / reasonably fast laps, just not fast enough to catch the lead pack though. I managed to grow the gap to aro quite a bit, but had a minor off on lap 11 allowing Aro to close it once again. I nabbed 3rd as jc pitted. I noticed incey closing so just kept my head down to keep my laps flowing. Luke pitted and popped out just in front of me, but we had plenty of room.
    My pit strategy was pit on lap 16 and grab my softs. This dropped me to 7th but wasn't concerned as most hadn't pitted yet. Fezza had a dirt vacation giving me 6th. I caught up to dosy quickly and passed on the inside of 'Hawthorn Bend'. Dosy went wide to give room, I made sure I slowed down plenty as well, but went too wide and took to the dirt. Incey and Ant pitted and I took incey but ant got out before I managed to pass during the pit stop.
    Back in 4th now.
    Luckily Jc had an off dropping from 2nd to 3rd as Ant passed him by. This allowed Jc and I a rather lengthy battle (like 11 laps :D) until the end. I almost took 3rd on the next lap as Jc had a minor off at 'Surtees', he recovered reasonably well, but fishtailed as he came back on as i came around to pass and slammed into his backend. He held it nicely, but I lost my chance to take 3rd. After that I kept the pressure on, but couldn't capitlise on it. Had a minor off on the last lap a 'Sheene's' but didn't lose to much time. And that was that.
    Well done @Luke, @Antmeg26 and @Jcp on your win and podiums
    Dosy and Jcp like this.
  18. Jcp

Jcp Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jcprater
    Qual.
    I was confident of starting near the front this race having put in plenty of laps during the week. Managed to snag pole with good pace show by the top runners .
    Race got underway with @Luke getting in front taking the outside lines through t1 and 2. Thanks @skintsaint for not punting me off soon after. Enjoyed a good battle for the lead but slowly luke started pulling away and built a nice gap. Then @Antmeg26 began to close up behind and tailed me for quite few laps. I ended up finding the grass and ant slipped through. Decided to pit that lap which was 13. Put the softs on and was able to undercut ant back into 2nd. Next few laps I really lacked concentration which resulted in multiple offs and missed apexes which allowed ant back through. Apologies to @Matthyus for my re-entry resulting in contact. The 13 odd lap battle that followed was epic with extreme pressure applied by johnno looking for a podium. I managed to hold him off and get home for another podium finish.
    Nailed fasted lap as well which was happy with . Well done on the win Luke and good result for u ant. Cheers for hosting johnno. Good job.
    Bring in Bathurst.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Dosy, Matthyus and skintsaint like this.
  19. skintsaint

skintsaint Rookie

Gunna smash some Bathurst laps tonight, we racing at night..or that a windup?
  20. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    The last race is at night. Bring the spoties
    Dosy, skintsaint and Jcp like this.