GT-Sport [COMPLETED] (30/6) RACEONOZ Bathurst 3 Hour

Discussion in 'Community Events' started by JonoStan96, May 10, 2018.

1. Jcp

Jcp Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jcprater
    Great race. Great format. Well done to @JonoStan96 and everyone who put in effort setting up the bops and doing testing.
    My race was pretty much trying to keep pace with @Russell. I couldn't keep up with him so tried conserving tires and fuel slightly to try jump him in the pits. I couldn't get near him in the end and came home 5th. The mustang was a brick on wheels across the mountain. I made a last minute gamble gearing it out a bit for more top end but didn't really help overall laptimes. Looked like @Tristan Jones and @Hihatjoe had a good battle behind me with them trading places often.
    Good job Pepsi and coxs' for hanging in and observing blue flags.
    Looking forward to the next one.
    Russell, MINT_GTR, arakasi- and 5 others like this.
  2. warrior2167

warrior2167 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    warrior2167
    Wow, that fun and hard. Thanks to @JonoStan96 for all the work you put in and reviving this idea.

I had to dial some understeer into the lamborghini, which was a bit too much racing in a pack of cars but was pretty good in clean air. The only place I was struggling was the dipper where the car would snap into oversteer if I carried to much speed.

I did three 3 stops during the race and in hindsight 4 would have been better as I was much faster and more consistent on the lighter fuel load.

Congrats to @MINT_GTR and @Noremac though I think the bowe room should be added an 'average' 88th lap based on the time difference of the opening pace lap.
    MINT_GTR, arakasi-, Hatfield and 3 others like this.
  3. Viperzed

Viperzed GT7 League Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Viperzed
    Bloody hell that was alright!

FT1 was never really a great car to choose but gotta get in earlier next time lol. We struggled for overall pace and could never really punch the top guys with the top times. @razor4797 started the race and did a fantastic job staying out of trouble during his stint and found a rhythm midway that kept us with the few in front. I hopped in at the first stop and just struggled to get a feel for the car and had no confidence over the top of the hill which hurt me in lap time. Razor nailed another stint afterwards and I brought the car home in P10 to finish one spot higher than Razor qualified.

Fantastic job @MINT_GTR and @Noremac to nab wins in both of the rooms and a huge thanks to @JonoStan96 who put in a mountain (geddit? ;)) load of effort to make this event world class and something i'm looking forward to doing in the future
  4. VARDZ

VARDZ World Champion

PSN ID
    HTO_VARDZ_99
    Firstly to @JonoStan96 and his team of testers congratz on what is the best event that I and many others would deem the best to be run. Really cool to see everyone's liveries from front to back of the grid. Had some real fun across the night that included battles with Razor, Party & OzGlenn. With the GT-R having more straight line speed than all others on the grid and was fairly decent at the chase, Murrays & Hells. Unless I really messed up across the top I could hold my own and use the strength of the car to stay in the game.
    Starting in 12th and finishing in 8th is a satisfying result and really hope that it is not the last time that we have an event like this. Congratz to both podiums and look forward to the next event.
  5. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Will the hi tec oils prize series vet back on track now?
  6. arakasi-

arakasi- Professional

PSN ID
    arakasi-
    Great night racing guys , cheers to everyone.
    Highlight for me on my stints was a great little battle with @Toranafan-02 for a bit, and annoying @seth123 for a few laps at the end.
    Congrats Mint, great drive
    Thanks for organising @JonoStan96 , great event.
    Dont know how you guys did 3 hrs solo, :eek::thumbsup:
    Keen as for any Saturday Enduro's, they suit me so much better than racing on a work night.
    3hrs( or even a bit longer) is great for a team of 2, plus maybe some 2hrs ( or 2 and a bit) would get big numbers of Solo driver grids too.
  7. seth123

seth123 Professional

PSN ID
    S1E2E3TH
    What happened to fall a lap down mate? You had the pace

Cheers for letting us through so easily though, my tyres completely shred at the last fifteen minutes of each stint so it got rough at the end as you saw,

A few of us use to do GTP endurance series, the 3 hour stint was a casual drive to what Matt, keeden, jono and myself have done, but that was the most intense endurance race I’ve done
    arakasi-, Hatfield and JonoStan96 like this.
  8. Toranafan-02

Toranafan-02 Team Driver

PSN ID
    SIR_Tyson_02 PS4. deadman024 PS3.
    Yeah there's no way I could go 4 on my own lol, I'm feeling it today. Good race mate
    JonoStan96 and arakasi- like this.
  9. VARDZ

VARDZ World Champion

PSN ID
    HTO_VARDZ_99
    Yes emmo.. I have a couple dog seminars on the following Wednesdays so following those it will be lights out for round 3
    emmo46 and Hatfield like this.
  10. arakasi-

arakasi- Professional

PSN ID
    arakasi-
    Alcohol :D
    @grassies has got a heavy hand when pouring drinks
    We had a great night tho despite it.........or because of it :)
  11. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    I must say I’m very humbled at all the overwhelmingly positive feedback of the race, I’ve missed endurance racing a lot so to share the goodness of it all with everyone fills me with joy. I might not have won the race but to see that everyone was giving it a red hot go, and getting all bruised and battered by the end of it, that’s the real victory for me. Of course getting the cars (except maybe a certain Lexus lol) as equal as possible was extremely difficult, so a huge thanks goes out to the guys that helped me achieve the goal, namely @MINT_GTR, @KeedenMcdonald and @VARDZ.

As for the race? Well I improved my starting position to 2nd, only getting pipped to pole by Mint by an unbelievable 0.002s. I kept up easily but I ran wide at the elbow, which ultimately gifted Mint the win. Not often something happening on Lap 1 makes such a difference at the end of a 3 hour race. I was gobbled up by Seth and Keeden, then Naacs a lap later. Mint rocketed away and it took me a while to get my act together. As the stint went on, I closed in and passed both Keeden and Seth before the pit stop, but Mint was already 14 seconds ahead.

I tried so hard to reduce the deficit but I knew how good that Lexus was over the top, making that time up would be almost impossible. And while I did set a few purple laps, Mint’s shorter fuel stops and more consistent pace meant he was the one who pulled away.

The third stint was terrible, so much so that Seth was able to close in and jump me in the pit stop phase. The culuminated in the epic duel I showed you yesterday. We always have insane battles on track and this was the cream of the crop. The Jaaaaaaaaag had phenomenal acceleration but I was trying everything to get past. Sadly Seth’s car failed to pull up for The Cutting on Lap 75 and I was through. In the end I came home a comfortable 2nd with Mint winning of course, a repeat of the 1-2 we had in 2015.

This has been one of the best events I’ve had the pleasure or co-ordindinating. I hope to be able to bring you all more endurance events across the year, most likely one every 2-3 months. The next event will be the first ever ROOZ 3 Heures du Mans on the 25th of August, utilising Gr.1 machinery. More details will follow this week!

And some happy snaps!

The grid readies for the off
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jono runs wide, allowing @MINT_GTR to scamper away.
    [​IMG]

The fight heats up for 5th place between @Knuckles, @Toranafan-02, @NAACS and @Ozglenn
    [​IMG]

Keeden is really struggling and is passed by Jono and Naacs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@VARDZ and @lets_party-1611 fight to remain in the top 10
    [​IMG]

@arakasi- nails a great pass on Toranafan
    [​IMG]

Vardz and @razor4797 run side by side up the hill
    [​IMG]

Ozglenn pushes his Beetle to the limit
    [​IMG]

@warrior2167 makes light work of @Hatfield as he runs wide at Skyline
    [​IMG]

Jono and @seth123 commence one of the all time great battles
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Mint wins the 2018 Bathurst 3 Hour!
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  12. seth123

seth123 Professional

PSN ID
    S1E2E3TH
    @warrior2167 your FPR livery caught my eye, didn’t expect that on a Lamborghini looked good
  13. CaptainRisky21

CaptainRisky21 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    CaptainRisky21
    Seth your PRA livery looked good, didn't expect that on a Jag
    seth123 likes this.
  14. seth123

seth123 Professional

PSN ID
    S1E2E3TH
    Yeah I didn’t have time to put it on my car :(
    I ran whatever was on there at the time
  15. Heyagarn

Heyagarn Rookie

PSN ID
    Heyagarn
    Just found out that I rubbed shoulders with (got lapped 6 times by) a GT Academy champ in MintGTR. That’s awesome man, mini fanboy moment, eases the hurt a little bit. And thanks again @JonoStan96 for letting me in and the organisation, hope to participate in these in the future, cheers!
    razor4797, MINT_GTR, Hatfield and 2 others like this.
  16. Tristan Jones

Tristan Jones Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jonesy82360
    Well done all, what a race!

Thanks Jono for making this happen, I have never done a sim endurance before, the balance in this was amazing. Was amazing to be within earshot of the front pack...for a little while anyway! I had delusions of Russell not being that much faster, then i really did keep close to JCP for a while. With the advantage of no added weight I thought I might be able to get an edge...but he was just so consistant! I would make a fraction of a second in places, but lose it somewhere else, then we come to the esses and he would build the gap by a second. I had a great battle with a few, though couple of DSC ended that prematurely...se7endan had my sort of pace, though it was @Hihatjoe that did the distance and kept the pressure on me! After all the practise I did, I still didn't know when I would pit. Since I my testing showed the tyres lasting long enough for the 3 stops, I figured anywhere from 15-25 would be ok - then when the podium pitted lap 22, i thought it was a nice sequence to follow 22 44 66, so I copied that. I had overtaken Hi Hat by the first pit, though he stayed out for another 5 laps past me - making me wonder what his strategy would be, double guessing what the official meaning Jono's post of "try 2 stops and see if your tyres last" might be. I had slight pace on him, but he had esses on me. I could build a gap all lap, only to lose most of it coming down the hill. I made 282 at the end of Conrod (usually 279 though), so was wondering if it was top speed or my late hard braking into the chase that gained me an advantage here. He pitted sooner 2nd pit, so I knew tyre wear might be the only difference between us - I could build a little distance, but he was more consistant, and would make time on me any little mistake I made. As he was pitting later, it was harder to guage the real difference too. At lap 66, I pitted, and kept a careful eye on what he did in pits a few laps later...then I passed pit exit and was in front by 1.5 seconds!! With that out of the way, I didn't look back and just went for it. A lap later I looked back and he was 30 seconds behind me! A chat post race found thats when he took a piss break. I spent the rest of the race wondering if JCP would catch and lap me...not to be. Well done HiHat, almost had me! Without the weight, would be beating me for sure.

No break seemed like a big deal pre race...though i just didn't drink much before it and luckily my bladder didn't cry for help. Turns out i got a blister on my finger from 3 hours behind the wheel though! Guess I need to relax holding the wheel a little...though I blame the esses! As I joined late (my partners birthday, so i figured i would be busy), I didn't get to use the GTR, which is my go to for bathurst. The Supra seemed pretty similar, though I hadn't counted on how slow I needed to get through those corners! I tried lots of variations of speed and brakes, and anytime I tried to go too quick it would snap oversteer, hit wall and spin. I found the fastest nice pace and stuck to it. Turns out that pace is a lot slower than everyone elses. I had 5 or so little spins, was surprised to get back on track so quick without losing too much time. Glad I practised 180's for the occasion!

Kudos to @Jurassic Mark on holding back under blue flags, made me feel a bit guilty about how much room I didn't leave the podium. Sorry to norm xlxy and pat for all those passes i didn't quite get out of the way. In my defence, while I did notice blue flags and you approaching, it could take a lap before you were close enough to do anything, and I was using the mirror to gauge how close you were - after 2nd pitstop I realised that while you didn't look close in the mirror rear view certainly looked close! Just to compound that, my slow pace through the esses meant that we were much more likely to meet there too.

I could write more but already bit of a wall of text there...i'm done...till next time!!
    arakasi-, MINT_GTR, Hatfield and 3 others like this.
  17. MINT_GTR

MINT_GTR Professional Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    MINT_Matt
    A bit late.... that's how long it takes to recover from a 3hour race these days!!

Firstly, sorry not sorry for pipping Jono in the shootout, that was intense and thoroughly enjoyed that to start the night off.

I couldn't quite believe how the race panned out for me, when the lights went out my focus was to try and defend from Jono into the second corner as my Lexus was slow down the straights and then was getting ready for an all mighty battle for 3 hours!! Then unfortunately Jono made a mistake at the elbow and that allowed me to get a slight breather.
    I then worked on trying to build some sort of rhythm and consistency and I think that was the main reason I was able to build that lead. 2 hours passed and I was on struggle street as I am sure everyone was, apart from the cramping in the arms, the main issue was I needed to go to the little boys room!! Anyway, somehow held on and was pleased to take the victory, disappointed in not having the battle that I am sure was on from lap 1 but was good fun to be back into endurance racing again.

That brings me to the man, Jono, crazy hours putting all the effort to get these cars and format right and the hype was totally worth it. Congrats to everyone that took part and helped with testing, cant wait to see the next round in this series!!
  18. MINT_GTR

MINT_GTR Professional Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    MINT_Matt
    Was a pleasure to race with you mate, look forward to racing with ya again :)
  19. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    seth123, Hatfield, Russell and 2 others like this.
  20. seth123

seth123 Professional

PSN ID
    S1E2E3TH
    I haven’t really written much about my race cause it wasn’t really something to write about just battling chewed tyres and man handling my car, the battle with jono was great but like the end of the first stint I knew I was eventually going to have to let him or go For my own good, but I misplaced my car trying to cover up into the cutting and the weight transfer on brakes kicked the rear and shot me wide, so from there on I was cruising with Arakasi till my tyres died and he was tripping over me

See y’all for the next race

Congratulations Matt
    MINT_GTR, Hatfield and arakasi- like this.