GT Sport Season 6 Division 4

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by Hatfield, Jan 24, 2019.

1. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    Need a replay of that finish holy moley
    Matthyus likes this.
  2. VARDZ

VARDZ World Champion

PSN ID
    HTO_VARDZ_99
    Lets just say Dazza and myself may have been assisted/hindered by another driver that may have not seen the blue flags for the second half of lap 24...
  3. Tristan Jones

Tristan Jones Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jonesy82360
    Had a great race last night, thanks to all! Congrats to the pdium too, well clear of me.

Practise in the week before was telling me that there would be a few in front of me on pace, that only got worse seeing pace on the night prerace! I did a couple of race distances of practise, testing tyres - knew I could make rss last half the race, and fuel last the whole race if need be. This left lots of options open, but I knew using the rss could net me some time above what I lost on a pit stop.

After first lap I was in second and laughed...i knew that meant others just didn't have a good first lap...hang on check my lap time - yeah i didn't have a great lap either. Thought I would be relegated to last after hitting the bus stop wall, and then skidding sideways into the last chicane, wrecking my starting speed of the next lap too. My final lap I took more carefully...and improved half a second, just edging out @Easyprey007...carefully watching his time as he crossed the line, in disbelief as he didn't improve it - his best lap in practise was a second better than mine. Getting 4th in qually changed my mindset - I knew @Matthyus and @VARDZ were quicker than me, didn't know about @Dazza83, but knew most of the others were on mypace or better.

Got off to a flying start, right up the back and touching Johnno, but figured I shouldn't be pushing too hard in the first corner - these guys will be flying away from me soon enough. Was great to be part of the front pack of 4, just keeping in touch with them, and creating a small gap behind me.

Dazza and Vardz both pitted at end of lap one - I thought great, they haven't got a good strategy...mmm wait maybe they do. I figured I will keep racing like I practised, and see what happens. Halfway through lap two, I'm in second with Johnno leading out of my sight - then he comes off the end of the slow hairpin at the bottom of the hill. He was ghosted near the edge of the track, and I made a lazy attempt to go around - not wanting to brake at the start of a big hill, but not wanting to risk hitting him if unghosting happens at a bad time - and I hit him right on the corner, giving him a boost and sending myself spinning. I tell Johnno to keep going, I should have gone around instead of hoping for lucky ghosting. I watch as everyone passes...then to make it worse, I come off 2 corners later by myself - to now be in last place. Johnno tells me to breath. I slow down, and tell myself I can lap faster than some others, and I had yet to try my rss laps - and others were pitting early.

From this point on, I had great fun racing! I passed @robin edwards as he came out of pits behind me, he kept in touch for a few laps before going off on the fast chicane. I caught up to @fezza, who seemed to be off pace, not sure if he had crashed, but like @emmo46, I have seen him make tyres and fuel last ages, so I went past while I could, wondering if his strategy would trump mine - I knew a no stop was viable, not the fastest strategy for me, doesn't mean it wouldn't be for him. I just started to catch Easy and was looking to make a move - then he pitted at lap 11, spoilsport!

I enjoyed a few laps mid field - wondering how far back I would be left after pitting for my RSS. I think RAE was the only one who didn't pass me in the pits. I took on half a lap of fuel, just in case - crossed the line just as 1.3 lap fuel warning came up, better that way than short! I knew that in my testing my RSS lasted 12 laps, though the last couple of laps had slower times - so I knew I couldn't push too hard or they might get a bit slippery.

I can't remember exactly who I caught and when - but was humbling seeing the difference fresh RSS made on everyone elses harder tyres that were getting worn! There were a few spots I caught people half a second in the space of a corner or two.

Then I caught up to @Easyprey007 and @T F Eccles as they changed positions a few times battling each other, I caught up fast, though I knew I would need to be patient to get past - I saw a few opportunities that I let go because it would have been too close - that fast chicane is hard enough to keep 170-180 yet alone overtake as well, even though I had the momentum on Easy! I saw I gained on both of them on the first bend but was never close enough to make a move. I ended up overtaking Easy and Colin the same way - came out of the fast chicane well, then used the slipstream to amplify the gain, confidently hit my brake marker on the first corner knowing I could make some distance accerating out of it - wondering if my TCS0 was in any of my advantage. I watched the replay of these two moves later - and is not so clear after all - almost looks like a simple dive bomb! Turns out choosing left or right corner entry to that first corner makes a huge difference.

I did get back past Fezza at some point - but he ended up pitting at lap 22 - so I guess that was a fuel miscalculation? Might have otherwise been very close to beating Easy. Dazza ran his RSS right to the wire - well done making those last the distance!

Poor RAE got caught up getting lapped in the last half of the last lap - which I know can be hard to judge - do you stay on the racing line so that you are predictable, the faster racers know how to get around a car...or do you move off line, get out of the way and cruel your own lap/ race time? 20/20 hindsight isn't so obvious in race, I don't envy that position!

Edit - cause this isn't long enough already, kudos to me for not crashing into the bus stop, and looks like we didn't have any connection/ lag issues all night, great news!

In all - TLDR - Crashed, bummed, then had fun overtaking everyone, pitted, overtook everyone again. Didn't stand a chance against the podium but it didn't matter!
    fezza, UrsineSaturn9, incey and 3 others like this.
  4. T F Eccles

T F Eccles Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    Yes i know what you mean. There was a couple of places I could've passed @fezza earlier had I been a bit more assertive but didn't for fear of sending him off. In the end patients won out as I waited for his tyres to deteriorate.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Easyprey007 likes this.
  5. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    You get out of the way. Just move right off to the edge and slow down if required to let them pass without impeding them on a corner etc
  6. Easyprey007

Easyprey007 Professional

PSN ID
    Easyprey007
    there was one instance where I gave room and was slammed for being there and punted across track sideways into Rae.
    Just after that is when I made the mistake and bumped you of track. I so need to forget that race.
  7. VARDZ

VARDZ World Champion

PSN ID
    HTO_VARDZ_99
    It did not alter the result it just made it a hellava lot closer so it is no biggie really. I will get a video up of the final lap tonight when i get home
  8. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    tone is missing from my post. I am just making a point to reply to tfeccles who wasn't sure what to do in a situation
    LennonLegend1993 likes this.
  9. VARDZ

VARDZ World Champion

PSN ID
    HTO_VARDZ_99
    And the point could be may from the video of what not to do when the leaders are approaching
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  10. Jurassic Mark

Jurassic Mark Team Driver

PSN ID
    themarkomac
    As someone who gets lapped on a constant basis, wether it be Sim Racing or Kart racing, all I ever try and do is stay out of anyone’s way. In sim racing you are able to look in reverse. Use that function as often as you can if you know someone is coming up behind you. It will hinder your race, but that’s just something you need to accept when you’re at the back. And, at the end of the day, mistakes happen. If you do make an error and hinder someone’s race, it’s best to just apologise and move on. If that’s not good enough in Div 4 of a Sim League, then the other guy needs to calm his farm. No one gets hurt, no one gets damage.

That’s the good thing about Karting though. There’s no blue flags and no rear view mirrors and you’re encouraged not to look over your shoulder. That’s the only time it’s acceptable to stay on your line I think. It’s on the guy behind to pass safely.
  11. VARDZ

VARDZ World Champion

PSN ID
    HTO_VARDZ_99

Here is the final few corners of the Division 4 Round 1 battle for the win.
  12. Hatfield

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    looked to me like @robin edwards was trying to stay out of the way there and then even got off the racing line on corner exit but @Dazza83 was also trying the overtake on the right so it just happened like that.
  13. T F Eccles

T F Eccles Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    Eh? I think you might have confused me with Vardz there. I was talking making a pass not getting out of the way of one.
  14. Hatfield

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    lol sorry i actually meant @Tristan Jones
    Tristan Jones likes this.
  15. fezza

fezza Team Driver

PSN ID
    FeZZa_21
    I got interrupted twice during the right-left-right section so had a couple of offs, so I was way behind and thought I should pit for RSS to try them out. It was obviously too late by that stage. I'll be pitting much earlier for softs next time since RH last way too long and not worth it to keep on.
    Matthyus and Tristan Jones like this.
  16. Tristan Jones

Tristan Jones Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jonesy82360
    It will be interesting to see everyones tyre/ pit strat for Big Willow - driving style can make for a big difference in tyre wear here, just because a tyre lasts when you are practising might not mean they last in race if you push hard. I did a race distance last night on a few tyres and still need more testing!
  17. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Yes I found tyre wear about 50% greater in the race. Glad I didn't go with RSS as they were marginal in testing and would have been useless late in the race. Big Willow is worse for tyre wear.
    LennonLegend1993 likes this.
  18. Hatfield

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    DRIVER BRIEFING

HUGE thanks to PAGNIAN for providing the prize of a new GTtrack Playstation edition valued at over $1000 !
    Remember you must race and complete 4 of the 7 rounds to be eligible for the PAGNIAN prize draw at seasons end.
    All information is here:
    https://raceonoz.com/forums/index.php?threads/x-platform-prize-draw-for-2019-1.3526/

ROUND 2 :
    Big Willow - 35 laps - 17:30 Fine - 17/2
    [​IMG]

As always please take 2 mins to read the following so you have an understanding of what is expected on race night......If you have any questions, or want clarification on any of the rules or regs please ask !

ROOM OPEN : Most room captains will 'try' to have rooms open by about 7:50 AEDT. Please be on time, or let the room captain or div thread if you may be late. If all agree, the room may wait for you, Within reason. Please remember we have drivers from NZ, and later starts mean a much later night for them.
    QUALIFYING : 8:20 AEDT
    RACE START TIME : 8:30 AEDT

LAG ISSUES / ROOM RESTARTS : This is up to the room host. If there is a Disconnection (or cars stuck on grid) at race start, it is sporting to try to get them back in, which may mean a new room to be set up. I always look at 1 or 2 starts if required due to DSC, but as it gets later everyone needs to be aware of getting things going. Please be as reasonable as you can with this....
    SIGHT ISSUES: Ensure that you can see everyone on track. After qualifying, exit to lobby and spend 30 seconds in spectate mode, scroll through the list of drivers on track and make sure that you can see their car. If you can't see somebody (and they are confirmed as being on track), exit the lobby, re-join, and check again. It can also be done pre-qualifying to save time if there is no chance of latecomers.

FALSE START CHECK : Please note that the start type is Grid Start with False Start Check
    Please practice this so you know what to expect. Simply, you hold the brakes on until the lights go from all lit, to none lit

TURN 1 LAP 1 : This has the potential to ruin someones night if we don't use our heads ! Should be everyone's goal to get through the first phase with ZERO contact. Give room and run in your 'lane' till you have space to run the normal race line. If your unassisted tap causes someone to spin, you need to redress.

TRACK LIMITS : As we are running with 'track limit penalties" OFF, we will run with our usual Raceonoz track limit regulations. This means you MUST have at least 2 wheels on the ripple strip OR white line that defines the track limit. If you do make a mistake and have to run outside the limits, be aware that you are not allowed to gain any advantage.

CONTACT : Is to be avoided at all times..... If you rear end someone and gain an advantage, YOU ARE EXPECTED to give the spot back. Side by side 'rubbing' is racing, within reason, but all drivers are expected to give racing room.
    If you bump someone and they end up off track or teleport back to the corner entry, you must wait for them to rejoin and get back up to speed.
    Show each other RESPECT! It is difficult enough to drive this car at the limit on your own, without someone squeezing you within a millimeter of the grass.
    So be patient and show respect to your fellow drivers
    Please be especially careful at the final turn (9). Side by side driving at T9 can cause the outside driver to be spilled wide and it is possible to get reset to track and even lose an entire lap.

TYRES : You must start on the Racing Hard Tyre. After that, one other set, of other compound tyres is allowed. (no limit on the amount of RH tyres). If you run out of fuel/tyres even after making a pitstop, you can pit a second time, however if you have already used a different set of racing tyres other than Hard, then you would need to change back onto the Hards.

PIT ENTRY : Drivers MUST make an attempt to use the pit entry / exit lines.
    PIT EXIT : Please use the pit exit lane and be aware of cars approaching down the straight.
    NOTE: Pitting is NOT compulsory

BLUE FLAGS : Please observe blue flags, and move out of the way of faster cars if you are being lapped. Failure to observe blue flags WILL result in a penalty

STEWARDS GROUP AND RACE PROTESTS : This season the stewards will be will be @Hatfield @JonoStan96 @Viperzed & @emmo46. If you have reason to protest, please SAVE YOUR REPLAY, and then let us know via a PM.
    DO NOT BLOW UP IN THE FORUM OR IN THE ROOM CHAT. There have been multiple incidents where the replays from drivers have been different, so its true that sometimes things are not as black and white as they may seem. You have until MIDNIGHT, Monday night to register your protest via PM. We will ask for video evidence from both drivers or room captain to make any decision.

SAVE YOUR REPLAY : If the room host can ask all drivers to save their replay would be good before exiting the room.....once they exit out and the option goes, it cant be retrieved !

FINAL NOTE: Could all drivers please confirm their attendance for this Sunday by 'liking' this post in your division. If you are unable to attend, please post in reply as much in your division. This way we can figure out our reserves or if the room can start early in advance.
  19. Dazza83

Dazza83 Rookie

Issue for me was the blue flags came out from the beginning of the lap. As soon as I got behind him, I started to feel the performance loss. Lost over 2 secs on that lap. Was worried to push and dive past him as wasn't sure what would happen.

End of the day it didn't effect the outcome. But dam it was stressful.

Ever blue flag scenario is different but last lap with 1 and 2 behind you and not battling anyone if it was me I personally woulda lifted on the back straight.
  20. Hatfield

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    sounds like your first race had a bunch of new situations to experience! good luck at willow, I heard you don't particularly enjoy it and @VARDZ considers it a favorite so it should make it interesting