ACC ACC fun Run Monday's

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by marty, Jun 25, 2019.

1. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Servers are up with official practice, went with the Azure Singapore which had less extreme high pings for Aussies. Qualy will be at 8:30 AEST
  2. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Thanks all that made the Wet Singapore server race tests tonight, thanks to @Rolz and @Godzilla for providing a couple of test servers in Singapore for us to have a play with tonight. Only had a couple of extras join and only 1 actually started the race but being wet higher restriction servers its never going to be overly popular with randoms.

Results from the races
    FP1
    [​IMG]
    Q1
    [​IMG]
    R1
    [​IMG]
    FP2
    [​IMG]
    Q2
    [​IMG]
    R2
    [​IMG]

Would be good to hear what people thought of the netcode with us all running higher then usual pings, is this ok for all to try and run more scheduled fun runs from the Singapore server to maybe try get a few more outside of Australia. Monday nights will stay local server I think but I would be ok to run most other nights from Singapore to avoid having to kick all the OS guys due to ping.
    tezpez85, SteveDrivingSlowly and Rolz like this.
  3. nanlatt

nanlatt ACC Server Legend Gold Member

Netcode seemed ok as far as i could tell. As visibility wasn't great it was pretty hard to see the cars in front at all let alone how they were behaving. Watching from the pits via the cams there looked to be a bit of warping but i think that happens anyway when watching. My ping stayed pretty stable between 109-120 most of the time.
    tezpez85 and Rolz like this.
  4. Wally

Wally Team Driver

Video Aris posted. Hungaroring 2018 started with a wet track, no rain. Race starts at 8:30. Some drivers could drive for a long time on wets, which of course dropped off pace as the track dried. I know from bitter experience that if you start a damp race, or even a light rain race, on wets, your tyres overheat very quickly. Seems ACC is a bit wrong in this regard.
    Rolz likes this.
  5. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

Netcode was great for me. I had a 110ms ping but really could not tell the difference between that and the AU servers where I ping about 40ms most nights. Did not see any warping or strange stuff - even with close racing, running two wide through the chicanes, cars spinning out, near misses etc where you really NEED the netcode to be 100% - it was great and I have to say great driving from all in such tough conditions to have so few incidents.

I had an awesome night, really fun driving in the rain and I learned a lot! Insane driving close behind others in the spray - you cannot see a freaking thing...for me that is a small part of my races but for you guys that are in a group the whole race, damn that must be tough.

Well done Marty and Frost on the wins.
  6. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Rookie

I'd be interested in doing some testing with tyre pressures for wets on a drying track. As you've mentioned they're gone nearly instantly as soon as the track gets dry patches, but usually for me they're crazy overpressured in addition to crazy hot (orange-red and 32psi+ sometimes). What I haven't done yet is test wets on a drying track pressured way down ie 18-20psi starting pressure so when they're hot they are at correct pressure.

It would be a compromise - wets at 20psi don't grip well on a wet track, but they are better than slicks. On a drying track it's possible this would be good enough to make it into your pitstop window without torching them in 2 corners. Then again, it might not work at all, that BMW in the vid lasted longer than 2 corners but still wasn't the optimal setup call and he probably wasn't on full wet pressures.
  7. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Youd need much lower pressures but tyres will be way too hot, would be interesting to compare if pressures are closer to ideal but wrong compound. My testing so far seems to show your better off on high pressured slicks with very light rain if no big puddles are on track.

But I also did run some 20 minute races on slicks with pretty much dry tracks and way over pressure, was clearly slow but even with bright red temps it hung in but was way slower then slicks.

Those few races we had where it was very light sprinkles early then dry never got much water on track and so wets would never be competitive. When it starts much wetter and you start on wets you can extend their life by driving in puddles and by comparing lap times even in that q1 with not very heavy rain. Slicks were good on the outlap but even for Andy it was 3 or more seconds off the wets on his first lap.

I want to experiment with dynamic settings where it can actually get wet enough to need to change to wets but can avoid the dreaded yellow storm. :D
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  8. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Rookie

Yeah definitely think the operating window of slicks is much wider than wets, and are my go-to if it's damp or even wet with sunshine forecast. To help visualise my thoughts on tyre suitability I drew the below hi-res graph, hopefully this helps anyone unsure of which tyres to go

[​IMG]
  9. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    From my very limited testing, I think that chart is very pretty :laugh: and also consistent with the ENG notifications "XXX tyres optimal" down the bottom of screen you get when jumping in the car from pits.
  10. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Love the graph but reading that means you should have gone slicks race 1 but you chickened out. I dont think it was actually classed wet and there was a bit of a dry line on track. I think slicks suck pretty hard on a wet track and when you pressure them up and it dry's out too quick like at Monza last Monday 90 min race they also struggled. My tyres were perfect for maybe 3 laps then the rears kept climbing pressure wise and I had to stop early to avoid throwing away any more time.

@Wally started that race on wets which really would have struggled but running the same pressures on slicks as in the qualy session also wasnt great. Had I ran normal dry pressures at the start I likely woukd have been considerably faster over the full distance.

When I went from 31 fronts 33 rears after 30 odd minutes on slicks to good pressures but a near full tank I was instantly 1 second per lap faster. But this also hurt overall pace by running heavier longer and having quite warn tyres at the end meaning I had nothing to even try battle Andy with at the end on 40 minute younger tyres and low fuel.

Its the cool part of ACC where strategy can be quite hit and miss with dynamic conditions, its actually quite a surprise when you nail pressures for a race run.
  11. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

How did you get your hands on the Ferrari F1 team’s data?!
  12. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Rookie

Had the benefit of knowing it would continue raining all race ;)
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  13. marty

marty AC Server Legend

I have set some practice servers up on the Aussie and 2 Singapore servers.

I have also added a few extra guys to admin status in the server so if they are running any of these servers they can have session control or kick/ban someone if they are being a nuisance.

Currently those with ACC server admins rights are.
    @marty @Rolz @Godzilla @KoAStR @Anon666 @Captain Barracuda @SteveDrivingSlowly @andyo450 @Wally @tezpez85

If any other regulars would want server admin rights just let me know and I will add you in.
  14. marty

marty AC Server Legend

While I was out not using the PC I figured id upload some videos from last nights races.

Here are the auto highlight packages from the races.

Then the full onboards, funny to see how different the spray looks between the TV cams and onboard. I may need to learn to drive from the TV cams for Wet++ races. :roflmao:

15. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Not a lot of people on today but still some good racing. Had a guy from central Japan with 80 ping and another from Nigeria of all places with 215, both looked fine with no stuttering and both fast and clean. Will be interesting to see how those Singapore servers go over a few weeks
  16. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Really havent had many extras jump into the Singapore servers as yet, tomorrow will be run on the Aussie server as will most likely all Mondays anyway.

After testing the dynamic weather any more agressive setting still has a big chance of the very heavy thunderstorm so will set weather back to the conservative dynamic we have been running most weeks. Current server build does tend to get a big more rain then they were in the past.

As the race tomorrow will be 2hrs time scale will be 2x but weather set same as singapore Monday practice has been.
  17. Wally

Wally Team Driver

What game time is the race going to start?
  18. marty

marty AC Server Legend

4pm with 2hrs at 2x so will finish at 8pm game time.
    Wally likes this.
  19. nanlatt

nanlatt ACC Server Legend Gold Member

Will official practice be 8pm real time again?
  20. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Yes qualifying will be 8.30pm aest so official practice still at 8pm.