PC PC building & spec check

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Jul 23, 2011.

1. its-benny-racer

its-benny-racer Professional Gold Member

I'm running the Rift in iRacing and that is on a laptop (i7 8750H, 1070 laptop GPU). I don't have everything maxed out, but with moderate settings I'm getting 90FPS no worries. I don't know about ACC or any other titles. For me VR was no brainer compared to buying 3 decent monitors. But there is no going back, I can't see myself ever choosing to race outside of VR.
    Rolz likes this.
  2. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    Thanks for the advice then guys, looks like Rift S is the go.

@Godzilla I've already bought the GPU now mate, it's on the way. It was relatively cheap though or at least think it was. $696 delivered for a 2070 super.
    Rolz and Godzilla like this.
  3. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Thats a very decent price
  4. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    I like my CoolerMaster tower case. Not much can go astray with it being just a case I guess. Has a few nice features like an external SATA hard drive dock that came in handy for dealing with a faulty external hard drive case. And an external eSATA port but I've never used that. And an internal case light.
    beakeroo likes this.
  5. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

With cases the main thing is to make sure you get positive pressure (more air going in then out) and ideally good filters on the intake fans, that way it doesn't suck up dust and stuff
  6. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Well I got a Cooler Master V650 Gold modular PSU for $119 delivered from MWave. I was going to get a Super Flower but $45 saving and a 10yr warranty convinced me otherwise.

Now I just need thermal paste and the SSD to get me going.
    Spidey_11 and Godzilla like this.
  7. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

What cooler are you using? Not much to gain in aftermarket thermal paste.
    Always a fan of Samsung SSD’s so my current go to is the 970 Evo drives. EBay sales can be good there as well
    Rolz likes this.
  8. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    just the Wraith Prism that comes on the 3700X, I'll possibly get a cooler should I find I need one later. I think I'm gonna go with the A2000 Kingston M2 that I have in the PC Part Picker list I posted earlier. Apparently it's very good bang for buck, outperforms the equivalent Intel SSD and costs less ($159 for 1TB)
    Godzilla likes this.
  9. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

The stock cooler is very good, looks awesome as well, can get loud.
  10. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    I've owned a PS4 and Pro for years. I can handle noise, lol. I never hear them anyway with the headphones.
  11. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Kind of all done for now. I still don't have a mouse or HDD but I do have one of those ipad/tablet bluetooth keyboards that will do for a while until I figure things out. I've ended up with the following gear:

Ryzen 7 3700X $480 (Futu @eBay)
    B450M Tomahawk Max $180 (Futu @eBay)
    Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce $689 (after cashback)(Futu @eBay)
    Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz $124 (DigiLife @eBay)
    Cooler Master MasterCase H500P $191 (Futu @eBay)
    Cooler Master V Gold Series 750W 80+ Fully Modular PSU $127 (MWave)
    Kingston A2000 1TB NVME M.2 SSD $173 (Shallothead @eBay
    Nvidia Shield TV Bundle $247 (Futu @eBay)

I picked up a Shield as well so I can games to my media room as the PC will be in the garage with my sim rig. I'll put the Rift S on my Xmas list I reckon. Cheers for all the advice guys and thanks for the Windows key @Godzilla I'll catch you guys online once the PSU and SSD arrives, the rest is built and waiting impatiently (or maybe that's just me)
    KoAStR, Godzilla and Rolz like this.
  12. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    How are SSHD's for gaming guys? I picked up a 2TB Firecuda last night, it was only $20 more than a decent 2TB HDD so I took a punt.
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  13. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    I'm having second thoughts on the VR thing as I didn't enjoy PSVR much, I used to find that I didn't want to play anything on it more than once. Has anyone here owned a PSVR and can compare it with VR on PC? My alternative is ultrawide monitor, would my rig run an ultrawide ok? (When I say ok I mean in 1440p at high/ultra in AC)
    Also is 35" the go or 49"? I'm finding that the 50" 4k TV is too much for me to take in at such a close space (using a GT Ultimate v2 chassis with built in TV/Monitor stand)
  14. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

If something awful happened where tomorrow I woke up and was unable to ever use VR again due to some massive illness or threat of death to my family... only then would I look at something like the Samsung LC49HG90DMEXXY 49" DFHD Curved Monitor... :D
  15. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    See you seem to convince me every time with all of this vr talk lol. That screen you mentioned, a quick Google shows reported problems with g-sync and screen tearing between 40-75mhz apparently. I've read good things about the Predator and AOC screens but both seem to be only up to 35".
  16. Rolz

I went from triples to VR... so been out of the game a little on screens there, but from what I've read is that a 49" ultrawide is the way to go...
    beakeroo likes this.
  17. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

I'm thinking about triples - but you guys reckon go ultrawide rather than triples nowadays?
    beakeroo likes this.
  18. Rolz

triples were awesome, but took up heaps of space... if I were just starting again and VR wasn't about I'd look at the 49" first... but again it's realy up to what ur after
    SteveDrivingSlowly and beakeroo like this.
  19. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

I would highly recommend VR with the Rift S, plus at $649 delivered it’s cheaper then ultrawides. And in the worst case for whatever reason it doesn’t work for you it would be really easy to sell with very little loss
    beakeroo and Rolz like this.
  20. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Cheers guys, I can get Rift S for $630 from Amazon so I guess I'll try that first, wife might lol me if I sell it though.