ACC Help a slow bloke...

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Competizione PC Monday Night' started by Wally, Oct 15, 2019.

1. andyo450

andyo450 Team Driver Super ROOZ

c4rLo5 likes this.
  2. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Here is my motec data from Both qualy and races, was in Lexus race 1 and Porsche race 2. I did struggle a fair bit in the Porsche and in the race my FPS was a bit crappy so I took it a bit easier into most of the tricky bits.

stevehasadomain.com/showrace.php?raceId=279
    andyo450 likes this.
  3. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Rookie

@Wally is certainly worth looking at the steering angles as well. A few weeks ago I was testing at Brands and couldn't match my pace from an earlier race and didn't know why. Pulled out the Motec and compared laps from July. The 3 main things I took from it were:
    • I was actually braking later in the slower laps
    • I was turning in far more aggressively in the slower laps
    • A was accelerating later and carrying less speed between corners as a result
    Verdict = overdriving

I made a plan and after about an hour of coaching myself through laps and reviewing the data, rinse and repeat style I found the missing time, and in the process actually picked up some consistency and felt like everything was more relaxed and in control due to no longer overdriving the car.

Motec data is good for reviewing your driving, as I found out it's not even necessary to get into the daunting car setup data to find improvement (obviously it helps too, but is a steeper learning curve), even just reviewing the driving style can make a massive difference.
    Wally, Rolz, andyo450 and 3 others like this.
  4. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Just noticed another brain fart with the wrong link in that post. :oops:

Here is my Motec data from last nights race and qualy in the Lexus if anyone is interested.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/l2c25mv0rnqcp56/MoTeC__marty_nurb_qualy_lexus.rar/file
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/923i1olrufqpnjx/MoTeC_marty_nurb_race_lexus.rar/file

Here is the link that should have been in the original post from Wednesdays race.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/cixl2...nesday_Q1_R1_Q2_R2_Lexus_and_Porsche.rar/file
  5. marty

marty AC Server Legend

krunch and nanlatt like this.
  6. nanlatt

nanlatt ACC Server Legend Gold Member

Thanks Marty
  7. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Rookie

8. nanlatt

Thanks Barra

After having a look at the telemetry comparison it's pretty clear that most of the time I'm losing is in the braking zones. You brake far later and deeper into the corners. When I have tried going deeper I just can't make the corner. Whether it's setup or technique I'm not sure. Maybe I need to work on my trail braking and get a load cell brake setup. I'm going to get on today and work on it. Thanks for the data mate it was very informative.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  9. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

if you're off pace at monza then I'm surely diving miss daisy :eek:
  10. nanlatt

I don't believe that for a second. I'm sure you'll be in front of me and a lot of other drivers.
  11. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

haha more of a figure of speech... I'm over 1.5secs off pace... my current PB I haven't come close to replicating again... Monza and I are not good bedfellows
  12. nanlatt

I hear you. I did a 48.0 on Wednesday and haven't come close to it since. I don't get it.
  13. Pablo

Pablo Rookie

If any of you aliens would be willing to post telemetry for Brands Hatch, that would be greatly appreciated (especially in the Lambo ... hint hint @Godzilla ;)).
  14. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Have no idea what the Lambo will go like around Brands, the old one was OK, haven’t tried the Evo, but will see what I can do about the telemetry
    Pablo likes this.
  15. andyo450

andyo450 Team Driver Super ROOZ

I had the afternoon off so I've been going through most of the cars at Monza in similar conditions to the storms last night. I've made some very basic changes to the default wet setups to try and help the cars cope with that level of rain better. I didn't spend much time on them so they wont be a magic bullet but they should be an improvement. I did try some of the defaults and they weren't awful. The Audi and Merc had a bit of trouble at Curva Grande. The brake bias on the Merc is a very long way forward and the abs isn't at max so that could improve that.

The biggest differences came from tyre pressures, they need to be at least 30 psi. It's better to be higher than lower. Also Aero balance rearward helped a bit as well, so raising the front relative to the rear and adding rear wing are the main things to help with that. Full TC is pretty much mandatory, I got away with less in the 720s and porsche. Its a huge help in the puddles. I think that's part of the reason why the Lambo is the hardest to drive, The TC on max doesn't seem to cut in as quick once the wheelspin kicks in. I found running that on max power was better than the wet maps because it made the wheelspin happen fast so the TC activated quicker.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhFSHJFDC2uXjltwlJkiwBw_lOO5
    Theres also some Motec from a run in the Lambo in that.

Few notes on some of the cars.
    The NSX and Merc are bad for locking in t1. The NSX has to brake really early, well before the 200m board to make the corner.
    The Ferrari is tricky at the start but seemed to come good as the tyres heated and came up to pressure.
    Theres a big spread laptime wise over the field. The fastest were the lambo and 720. They did high 2:10s. The rest of the cars were spread over 4 seconds. Easiest to drive was probably the Aston, it was also pretty quick.

The biggest thing to remember is not to lift once the car gets loose on a straight. Lifting puts the weight over the front which gives it more grip and less at the rear which will make you spin faster. Keep your foot in and hope the TC sorts it out. Entering a corner like Curva Grande make sure youre already slowed down enough, ~170 for that one, and then keep a bit of throttle to keep the car balanced. As long as its not aquaplaning the TC and slight steering adjustments should keep you out of trouble. During braking slam the gears down as fast as you can. Engine braking seems really effective in the wet and I haven't blown one up yet.

Another trick you can use during the corners sometimes is to turn much more than you need into a corner. Doing this overloads the front axle and puts the car into understeer. It will keep the car from oversteering if you need to be off throttle during turn in. If you're going to do it don't turn only a little more than you need to, theres a pretty solid chance the front axle will grip up as you slow down and then it will snap, make sure you scrub the tyres a lot.

Heres a vid from a run in the 720 and the Hurracan Evo. Should help explain everything a bit more.

Think that's everything...
    c4rLo5, marty, KoAStR and 5 others like this.
  16. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Very rough lap, 1:24.3...
    Fast track, 30L fuel, default aggressive with just tire pressure very roughly set. I would guess the ultimate time will probably be 2 seconds faster... :(

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmNkIKTtZEiVgwP3Kr8TjRDX0hBN?e=vriojo
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  17. Pablo

Pablo Rookie

18. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

Awesome tips mate, thanks a lot for posting!
  19. Pablo

Pablo Rookie

Did a quick lap last night just to check I had set everything up ok and the first thing I noticed is that I am only braking at about 75% (compared to your 100%). I'll see if I can increase my brake pressure and try again tonight. Thanks again for the data. It has been immediately useful.
    Godzilla likes this.
  20. marty

marty AC Server Legend

I did a quick test last night but my motec data was all screwed up, anyone else get this some time? I did make a few tweaks to the 911 mostly just made it less loose then the agressive which was pretty brutal. I will post some data later tonight aftet another run.