IRACING McLaren MP4-12C

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by OuttaAngst, Dec 21, 2012.

1. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

For those who don't know, the McLaren MP4-12C was added to the iracing service. So far it's pretty fun to drive and I think it should make for awesome racing.

I have noticed that the iracing 'cold tyre' effect (the car has more grip when the tyres are cold) is pretty strong on this car, in the Star Mazda you can aim for maybe 2 tenths by doing a slow outlap to keep your tyre temp down. In the McLaren around Watkins Glen (Chicane variant) I'm sure its worth about 3/4 of a second. Maybe we haven't worked out the best way to set it up yet, but it is a bit annoying to never be able to match the times of the first hot lap. It makes for a lot of restarting from the pits if you make the smallest mistake.
  2. Mad94d

Mad94d Madison Down

PSN ID
    mad94d
    Really? I've found that I can do reasonably fast hotlaps and the tyres are perfect for the hotlap... at Daytona that is. Star Mazda is another car which is good for the cold tyre effect though. You can push early in that car and get away with it. The Cadillac is the worst, you have no choice but to do an outlap at 50 seconds slower otherwise you lose well over a second. V8 is pretty bad too, slow outlap gives you a massive gain.

Personally, I can't fault this car yet. I think it is by far the best car in the service at the moment, Tyre Model has made a giant leap forward on the McLaren.
  3. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

Hey Mad, sure the car does feel great, but I seem unable to match my times after the first hotlap or two. Even when I feel like I have nailed a corner, I drop time vs my optimal/best lap. I did a bunch of laps at watkins (where I have done a few laps in other cars), i don't think I can put it down to my inconsistency.

Maybe my setup(or driving style) is bad and the tyres are getting too hot or maybes its just psychological. I just had a look at consecutive laps of others and they don't seem to have my problem :(
  4. Mad94d

Mad94d Madison Down

PSN ID
    mad94d
    Yeah the goodness of the tyres obviously will always be in the first 1-2 laps and then they will drop away. But it seems that they are equally good for those 1-2 laps or very close to it. But they only drop away about 0.5-1 second I found in race trim and then you can hit the same lap times all race. Like for me at Daytona, I had little trouble with tyre wear, it if anything was getting faster as the fuel load came off.

I dunno, I think the tyre model in this car is quite good, you have to drive smooth to be fast and the cold tyre issue is nowhere near as important. Could do with some more tyre wear and possibly a tiny bit more feel but overall I really like it.
  5. JamieFookes88

JamieFookes88 Jamie Fookes

PSN ID
    JLF131188 J. Fookes (GT6)
    If this car behaved like this in real life, I doubt anyone would drive it. iRacing need to make drastic changes to the NTM
  6. basilenco

basilenco Rookie

Some settings changes can really make the car better at the limit, like the bump, rebound and diff settings and it can get rid of a lot of the snap oversteer