ACC ACC season 01 rnd3 Silverstone Enduro cup 90 minutes Nov 25th 2019

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by marty, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Bueller

Bueller Rookie

glad it didn't get red flagged this time, sort the men out from the boys....joking of course...turned the ecu down to 4, tc & abs all the way up, braked straight, accelerated straight and even cornered straight...except the couple of times I spun (distracted, need to stay of comms its annoying af). good fun thanks guys, hope the sun is shining from now on though
    tezpez85 likes this.
  2. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Well done to everyone who managed to finish that one, certainly a different kind of challenge...
    tezpez85 likes this.
  3. Wally

Wally Team Driver

I quite enjoyed the challenge, and did fairly well when I could rely on concentration instead of pace. I got up to 4th, unbelievably, but I had a big aquaplane on the pit straight which gave me a big spin. I stayed off the walls, but had really bad flatspots, and soon later got a puncture which made the car not want to turn. I wobbled back to pits for an earlier than scheduled stop (sorry if I gave anyone a scare, but a car with a puncture in a thunderstorm is really hard to control).

In hindsight, I should have used an appropriate engine map (info from https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/ecu-maps-implementation.54472):

Aston Martin Vantage V8 GT3 (EVO) 8 levels
    1-4 dry maps.

• 1 fastest high fuel consumption
    • 2 a bit slower, normal fuel consumption, aggressive throttle map
    • 3 a bit slower, normal fuel consumption progressive throttle map
    • 4 slowest, less fuel consumption, progressive throttle map
    5-7 wet maps
    • 5 similar to dry 2&3 map, normal fuel consumption with slightly progressive throttle map
    • 6 a bit slower, less fuel consumption and progressive wet throttle map
    • 7 identical to 6 with more progressive throttle map
    tezpez85, Bueller and Coanda like this.
  4. Coanda

Coanda Team Driver

First 10 min :thumbsup:
    Next 60 min :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:
    Last 20 min :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:
    tezpez85 likes this.
  5. mesafto

mesafto Rookie

You wouldnt believe it..... Had a spider crawl towards me mid race, so tried to stomp on it, and lost control of the car at t1. Actually found it fun.....ish.:laugh:
    tezpez85 and Coanda like this.
  6. Bueller

Bueller Rookie

which map were you on, I was right on your tail for a while and thinking not able to pass until you spun. the rain and the spray was bad enough but occasionally water would build up on the screen, not wipe off and make zero visibility, is that normal or a bug? (maybe wind direction?)
  7. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

Hi mate - sorry you feel like I didn't give you enough room, but from my perspective I was driving the line and you were not close enough to make a clean pass without me basically stopping to let you pass - and there is no obligation for me to do that under a blue flag. I could see you were getting frustrated when you made quite an aggressive lunge which almost caused contact and where there was clearly no way you were going to get through cleanly - so for both our safety, I let you through a few corners later. I believe that in general I am very respectful of the blue flag (I have a lot of experience letting people through!).

As far as my race goes - yikes I was so not prepared for that....what a grind! I ran the default wet set-up in qualy and when we were on the grid for some unknown reason I decided to make a few tweaks to ride height and such which made the car very edgy for the race.

I was kind of holding it together until I thought it would be a good idea to max out the TC - and so I did, or I thought I did. In fact what I actually did was go one click past max and turn off TC - and then proceed to spin about 5-6 times before realising what was wrong. The last of those spins had me travelling sideways across a curb and this caused me to blow out the front left tyre - I tried to limp around to the pits but it was so dangerous I just pulled over and took a teleporter.

Back on with 4 tyres I started to repeat a sequence: catch someone, overtake, spin, catch them again, over take, spin. Massive flat spots and tiredness (I spent 5 hours in traffic yesterday...cue violin music) lead to me just nursing it around and occasionally getting tempted to push a little before spinning yet again.

Very impressed with all that finished, and especially those at the top of the leaderboard - very impressive gentlemen. Looking forward to the next one, hopefully with slightly less biblical weather.
    c4rLo5, tezpez85 and Pablo like this.
  8. mesafto

mesafto Rookie

Maybe its my expectations? I thought blue flag means to let through cars (who are lap in front).
    I was stuck behind you( a lapped car) for about 2-3 laps from memory and couldnt pass because of the risk involved with out-braking you. This is because of the wet conditions + river lines +spray, plus i had made a pass on Gao who was close behind me. It was exciting and fustrating at the sametime :p

Maybe the RD can provide some guidance?
  9. Pablo

Pablo Rookie

As someone who gets lapped a lot, I wouldn't mind some clarity on this as well. Should I be moving out of the way or holding my line when getting lapped. Holding my line seems the safest but I'll go with whatever is decided.
    I think I nearly took out Andy last night trying to move off the racing line to let him past o_O
  10. SteveDrivingSlowly

It could be my memory after such an arduous session, but I don't recall you being close behind me for very long at all, I think you had a run on me almost as soon as you caught me and I just opened the door and let you through. Prior to that I was watching you battle with Gao and get past him - then almost straight away you were past me
  11. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

Fwarr, what a writeoff. 11/11 on both TC 1 and 2, raised the ride height by several mm and was aquaplaning in several parts of the circuit. I don't think the Fezz can handle the yellow thunderstorm at all.

10+ spins, accidentally switched to dry tyres in the stop, then accidentally changed to underpressured wets so had to stop again, then had an incident and the front left popped so had to come in again. Then, on the last lap I was just braking into the long right hander at the back of the circuit when BOTH front tyres just popped without warning. Had to 'bounce' off the walls to finish.

Well done to @andyo450, @Godzilla and @jlynn777 for the podium.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  12. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Remember that in those kinds of conditions it was VERY hard to get close as at a certain point the spray from the car in front kills your view, so in the interest of safety most would hold back. In VR when I got to within about 10mtr or so I was essentially driving blind
    SteveDrivingSlowly and tezpez85 like this.
  13. tezpez85

Regarding the blue flag situation, there's some FIA rules which apply but there aren't any rules written in the regulations I posted earlier. There's a useful post here to clarify:
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/understand-flags-fia-regulation.56314/

From there, there is this:
    "During the race:
    - The flag should normally be shown to a car about to be lapped, if the driver does not seem to be making full use of his rear-view mirrors. When shown, the driver concerned must allow the following car to pass at the earliest opportunity."

However, I would also point to Minolin's post at the end of that thread which I'll quote below:
    "I'm not the Blancpain Race Director, but my view on the whole blue flag thing is that we tend to "forge" the rules out of special situations, like having an unnecessary crash with a blue flagged car. As usual, the natural reaction tends to be a bit unreasonable.
    Instead I'd turn it around and define blue flag behaviour in a way that you can unlap yourself, and slowly pull away over the course of a few laps, while not being punished for not obeying the blue flag rules. > 3 corners with blue flags = DQ or >30s under blue flag = DQ make this completely impossible, right?
    Ofc. there is a completely different scenario, which I also recommend to "use" when driving under blue flag: If it is hopeless to win anything (which is the case in 99% of the time), especially early in the race or when you drive in different car categories - cooperate with the overtaking car and negotiate a good place to overtake to minimize the time lost, but also the risk of something going wrong. If you look at the VLN for example (where you have crazy traffic on a crazy track), a huge part of the race pace in the lower classes is cleverness and getting overtaken in a way where you lose as little time as possible."
    krunch, SteveDrivingSlowly and Pablo like this.
  14. SteveDrivingSlowly

Well, I'm not sure if that makes it any clearer - but either way, if you anyone felt held up, then I apologise of course and will try and leave more space in future. It is never my intention to hold anyone up (I literally had nothing to gain by doing so).
    tezpez85 likes this.
  15. mesafto

mesafto Rookie

Steve, appreciate the kind comments, it wasnt a massive thing for me but interesting to talk/chat it out.
    From the perspective of the driver behind, I stayed about 1-2 seconds behind for a 1 or 2 laps for safety (memory is a bit hazy, apologies if it wasnt this), then decided i had to take more risks, otherwise Gao was going to get me. I think under 2 seconds the blue flags come out?

** The other thing i thought of is the rear view scaling, what looks far away is 1 second (on my setting), but from behind 1 second is getting close to a deep braking manvouver
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  16. mesafto

mesafto Rookie

Tez, Im happy we had no contact! haha I think we passed each other maybe 6-7 times.
    tezpez85 likes this.
  17. andyo450

andyo450 Team Driver Super ROOZ

(ix) If you are being lapped do not attempt to race the passing car. Blue flag rules apply. Meaning you must concede track position to drivers on the lead lap within a reasonable time frame. If you are battling for position with another driver some concession can be made, but at your next available opportunity (such as before the braking zone on a straight), you should concede track position. A rule of thumb for a reasonable time frame is within four corners, unless you can pull away (out of slip stream range) during this time due to fresher tyres for example.

Taken from http://raceonoz.com/forums/index.php?threads/racing-rules-regulations.70/

These sorts of conditions are always gonna be tricky. Having no spray in the mirrors makes it easy to fall into the trap of thinking theyre not close enough when in reality getting any closer would signifigantly increase the risk of an accident.

That race went pretty well I thought. I made some basic setup changes for the weather that worked well. It seems taking around 1 degree of camber out front and rear as well as raising the ride height, more so at the front than the rear to shift the aero balance rearward, helps the mclaren massively. It had good speed and didn’t feel on edge at all. I had one spin at the end on a slightly drier track because I was trying to set a fastest lap and that was about as eventful as it got.

Well done to @Godzilla and @jlynn777 on the podiums and everyone who made it the full 90 minutes. Hell of an acheivement.
    jlynn777, tezpez85 and Pablo like this.
  18. tezpez85

Felt like Groundhog Day! :D
  19. GravityMsc

GravityMsc New Recruit

To be honest, I could only drive behind of you with about 0.8 second and it is difficult for me to overtake in that situation. If I drove more aggressive, I probably ran out of the track and it was not clever in last few laps.
    In my option, the lapped driver should loose a bit of throttle to let the faster pass who is in 1 second or less? I did it when O'HARA came.
    If I have a wrong explaination about blue flag, please tell me.

BTW, just say something about the blue flag. No angry, no complaint. If I use some agreesive words, please don't mind it because of my poor English. Anyway, the race is really interesting.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  20. SteveDrivingSlowly

No mate, I think you have it right. I was not thinking about how much the spray would be keeping you back - my bad! Will know for the next wet race.