ACC ACC season 01 rnd3 Silverstone Enduro cup 90 minutes Nov 25th 2019

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by marty, Nov 18, 2019.

1. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

Congrats to Andy for the win and Godz & Jlynn for earning such a tricky podium.

LOL at the hilights package! :roflmao: No wonder I had understeer - I didn't have a bloke leaning over the front into corners!

Pretty disappointing night for me (no... I'm not gonna cry). I didn't buy ACC so I could simulate a long drive to work in a rain storm. That was not fun for me at all. I don't mind a bit of weather in a race but 90 mins of torrential rain is just not my cup of tea. I don't have the energy, eyesight, time, patience, blah blah.. Not to mention the lack of wheel to wheel battles. Happy for those love those conditions and find it a proper challenge. I found it a challenge not to quit after the first 10 mins. Next time I will.

I had really been looking forward to Siverstone in the Bentley as I felt it would go well there. I spent a bit of time with my setup and the car was feeling much better than the first 2 rounds. So to have the surprise yellow storm again just pissed me off (absolutely no fault of Marty & co who've tried very hard to get weather into the races and avoid big storms. It's Kunos who deserve a kick in the shins!).

I tried hard to keep it on the island and for the most part the Bentley was cooperative but in those conditions it's inevitable that :poop: will happen. Lap 1 I hit Mael when super early braking just wasn't early enough (sorry mate). Once the field had spread I confess I became throroughly bored piddling around squinting through the rain to try and spot the next braking zone. So bored in fact that I got sleepy, lost focus and just did stupid mistakes on a regular basis.

When I finally pitted I forgot to switch to my wet pit strat so had to go out for a sloooooowwwwwww lap on slicks. I managed to get in the way of Marty (sorry) while attempting to get out of the way which was just typical of the night. When I pitted again for wets I forgot about the fuel so my moron crew brimmed me up again - oh joy!. Maybe the extra weight would help cut through the water on track? Nup just slower. Not that that mattered as I was way down the back anyway. Sigh.
  2. Pablo

Pablo Rookie

Personally, I love the realism and the immersion I am getting from this series. That is a big part of why I switched from Automobilista to ACC. I have often wondered what it would be like to race in heavy rain. Now I know :) It was terrifying! Which was cool in a masochistic kind of way.
    Looking forward to next week where I'll have another first, 2 hours behind the wheel in one stint ... at night! Bring it on!!!
    krunch likes this.
  3. jlynn777

jlynn777 Team Driver

I’m still shook....I can’t believe I got a podium! :cautious:
    Me after the race:

First one for ACC and probably my second ever non-reverse-grid podium here.
    I like silverstone a lot but wasn’t looking forward to it in the Porsche because I struggle getting it through the maggots and beckets section facing the right direction on the other side. My only prac was the Wednesday race but I quit after a couple laps for the reason above.
    About an hour and a half before qualifying I decided I should try fix my sticky brake and spiking throttle....severely underestimated that job and I didn't really improve anything, just made the deadzones work better (anyone got any cleaning tips for g29 pedals??).
    Qual wasn't good, first bit of prac in the wet there so definitely deserved to start towards the back.
    For the race I made 2 adjustments to the default wet setup and I think it felt alright.
    The lack of vision was nuts....felt like I was doing my first league race all over again - had no idea what I was doing, it was bloody fun though! Felt like I was in this scene on loop:

My first laps were pretty good and ONCE AGAIN I overtook @marty ;)
    Then it felt like a massive game of cat and mouse....people in front would spin, I'd overtake them, I'd spin, they'd overtake me, etc.
    All I know is you guys must of had exceptionally average races if I still finished 3rd after all my spins :eek:
    Had great battles with @Bueller @Kcender87.
    Congrats to @andyo450 @Godzilla for the podiums and to all that stuck it out :)
    That was proper hard work....
    Rolz, tezpez85, krunch and 2 others like this.
  4. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

Well done mate, great job. You deserve a medal*

*medals coming soon** to a league table near you***
    **your perception of time may differ to mine
    ***thanks to @marty amazing photoshop skills
    marty and Pablo like this.
  5. pb1

pb1 Rookie

Practised entirely in the dry, car set up entirely for the dry, never run Silverstone on anything but dry ever. Race started as an exercise in futility, but I started to find my sea legs. Powering down the hangar straight the change of wet dry wet under the bridge let the car get a little unstable, I squirrelled a little with stupidly flat spotted tyres, touched the outer rumble strip, slip 'n' slide, crash barrier turned my Ferrari in to a trike -> passive aggressive rage quit.

This was the most unpleasant and unfun experience I've had to date. I hate complainers, so how's this for a solution: have fully wet weekends. Wet practice, quali, and race. People can learn a track in the dry privately then get the hang of that circuit in the wet before facing the penalty of sliding off the track online. Surely there are enough other settings to put in some variability to the racing, but given that the game is utterly broken in allowing us to set the weather conditions for a weekend, I implore that the weather be more static going forward. Make the temperatures colder or hotter than normal or what ever, but we live in a world where we can know the temperature in 7 days time to +2c/-2c and whether the weather will be wet; maybe make Paul Ricard dry for a pleasant change?
    tezpez85 and krunch like this.
  6. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

I actually liked the change. The unexpected weather forced you to adapt, and quick, braking markers you knew in the dry went out the window instantly, everything was different, full throttle was a rarity and the normally fairly boring straights became an adrenaline filled challenge catching the very quick snaps over puddles.

You were still driving with maximum focus but it was very different as inputs that are normally fast were now slow and inputs that are normally jot needed now had to be lightning quick.

I had 3 spins in the end, two in the same spot entering Maggotts and one at the end at Farm. I knew exactly what was about to happen as soon as I entered the corners, just a bit too much input on the wheel and too much speed.

Not something I’d want to race in a lot but it was an adventure and wouldn’t be so bad if it was only one hour of a full 24hour race
    SteveDrivingSlowly and Pablo like this.
  7. Wally

Wally Team Driver

I don't mind racing in any conditions, but I agree with this point - it's just weird and unrealistic in ACC that you don't know what the weather is going to be more than 15 mins or so away, varying from monsoon to sunny. But I fully appreciate that Marty s doing the best he can with the tools at his disposal. Personally, I would love to see a server setting that sets the maximum possible level of rain over an event, so you can rule out storms if you want to, but still have some rain.
    jlynn777 and marty like this.
  8. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Its one reason all the other servers except the static hotlap one are dynamic to give an idea of weather to expect. However the fact weather is mostly broken making thunderstorms way too common and no way to disable it plus we have had a thunderstom each actual monday night while the practice servers running the exact same conditions rarely had them.

Thats why the next round will be dry and likely stay dry until we can have reasonable control over weather.
  9. pb1

pb1 Rookie

Oh, I totally appreciate and am thankful for the work put in to the servers, this site et al. As an Ops guy myself I have a great appreciation for the effort it takes, especially in ones free time. I hope nothing of what I say, in all my posts, is in any way taken personally. I like driving in the rain too, and the ACC weather effects and all round experience is fantastic; it's an enjoyable challenge when you're set up for it.

Surely devs are enhancing it as we can't be the only ones experiencing.. difficulties.. It's a pretty cool feature for servers with 24 hour access to add some spice though; again, the weather effects are :thumbsup: even if the wets are easier to flat spot than something else that's really easy to flat spot..
    krunch likes this.
  10. Coanda

Coanda Team Driver

Just my two cents and nothing against Marty as I know he is hamstrung and doing the best he can.. Personally I found last night's race too extreme. Yes it is fun and challenging to race against the elements however I can do this in my own time. I want to race against you guys and not tip toe around 35 seconds off the pace by myself for 90 min.. Don't get me wrong I don't mind that it is wet however 3 race weekends in a row is too frequent in my opinion. Out of 10 races it would be nice if 2-4 of them are wet. It would also be nice if the whole race weekend was wet rather than yo yoing around from one extreme to the other.. Hopefully Marty's feedback to Minolin gives them some food for thought to make the system better than what it currently is..
    pb1, Rolz, Captain Barracuda and 6 others like this.