ACC ACC season 01 rnd4 Paul Ricard Enduro cup 2hr Enduro Dec 2nd 2019

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by marty, Nov 26, 2019.

1. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

No worries mate, it was touch and go, I could have run a slightly wider line.
  2. mesafto

mesafto Rookie

Cheers Andy, an older (24hours+) and much wiser Mesafto agrees!
    I must have been checking splits as Gao exited, honestly cant remember too much of it but a ferrari appearing suddenly.
    Sorry Gao!
  3. marty

marty AC Server Legend

I find myself chatting too much in races so am doing my best to cut it down. I know how distracting it is when your on your last qualy lap or even the end of the race when you still have a lap to go and people start having discussions. The chat box if it could be disabled then people could use it as much as they like as those that get a huge box pop up blocking a big chunk of screen will have it off anyway when in car as I would.

The odd bit of banter is ok but when you have a large field its likely not everyone wants to be listening to it and the last thing we want is people to mute discord during races. Everything is purely up for discussion as I only speak for myself and don't really have any more say then anyone else here. ;)

The fun runs generally have more chat and banter too, its really up to everyone though but repeated chat for things that can be be communicated in game without distracting others with something like a simple flash of the lights IMHO is better. I still remember one bit of voice chat gold at XGN when one guy apologised to @Wally for a collision as he said "Sorry Wally I didn't mean to come inside."
    Pablo, krunch and Captain Barracuda like this.
  4. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Rookie

I was using chat box to stay off the discord line but I got in trouble :(
    SteveDrivingSlowly, krunch and marty like this.
  5. Wally

Wally Team Driver

I certainly don't mind hearing the odd "thanks" on Discord. It also makes me start to check for blue flags.
    marty likes this.
  6. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Thanks for the run on Monday lads. Longest race I've done in a while and was good to get some miles under my belt and go wheel to wheel for the first time in ACC. BTW, as someone who is still learning ACC and is more worried about ruining someone's race than PB's, constructive chat (via Discord) is essential.

So @marty and @Rolz, this might be a dumb question, but is there any way of turning off or changing the track cut penalties? I know I should do some practice, but I'm probably not going to, so I will run wide occasionally, especially on cold tyres and a full tank. Also starting at the back or in the pack there are times you gotta run wide to avoid collisions, I had 3 strikes after 3 laps and nearly 2 hrs of driving ahead of me... As my luck it awesome I copped a drive through soon after pitting to fix "minor front damage" that was costing me 2 sec a lap.

I did have a fun stint after that driving in packs and having some battles and once my tank was empty I pitted and my crew decided to give me option 4 tyres?? The pressures were way too low and my fuel number guess was 2 laps short, so more pitting and swearing. I did learn a lot, but spent way too much time in the pits for someone who was 3+ seconds off the race pace, meaning Andy must have passed me around 40 times which can't be fun either. I'm with @krunch, while a lot of us are still getting used to the platform, shorter races and reduced complexity please, the last few weeks have been tough to enjoy for an ACC noob.

I know this sounds like me being a whinger, but when I had time to organise the odd event it would :):):):) me when someone joined, raced a few rounds, and then disappeared. Tell us why, I'd think to myself - how could we change and improve? Firstly, we don't need to change much because you guys have done a stellar job, but...can we leave the really tough stuff until later in the season (or dial it down a fraction - I know there are platform limitations here, but if it's a challenge for someone who's put 200+hrs into ACC, it's downright impossible for someone who's done 20hrs)? Also, I think we should look at a version of the teams setup again. Even if we only have 2 or 3 teams, but I really miss the strategy help and asking dumb questions off the main forum. I am happy to set this up btw, as in this week, no team points needed, just for noob questions and strat help?

Anyway, thanks again for the racing lads, see ya'll next week.
    SteveDrivingSlowly and krunch like this.
  7. marty

marty AC Server Legend

There really is very limited control in server setup, we have no control over penalties other then being able to disable Auto DQ. Even this doesnt work as people are still being DQ for speeding in pits.

With track limits there is no setting but to avoid a penalty if you have a big off get off throttle and rejoin with no time gains it will likely not give a warning. Stay full throttle off track and rejoin you will always get a warning or maybe even instant penalty. We have no control here but its manageable by making sure you dont gain from off tracks and self penalise yourself a bit. Losing a second or 2 is better then a drive through though for newer guys its still going to be a bit tricky. With no actual options server side it is what it is though.

The team stuff would be cool in a future season to get back into, but with open car choice most help is car specific so having a general open thread where people can discuss car setup and tips is best. There is already one we have that people can post in for any help. I dont think you need to be in a team to help people out, personally id help anyone that asks if I can. Im not looking for gaining advantages over others just to get better racing and if helping others provides this then its ok. Setup wise the defaults arent terrible and last round I had no practice before race night and only did a few laps in the official practice running agressive setup with high and qualy fuel to set race pressures and basic balance for race with higher fuel.

The races are a bit long this season, originally I had hoped we could have driver swaps and teams but these still arent really league ready. This would make longer races work well as a team and tbose that want longer solo runs coukd do this too. I had hoped this would just work in ACC but still needs a bit of work to avoid issues that can easily ruin a teams race at any point.

The actual signup numbers show people are keen for this and the Wednesday night shorter formats always an option too.

Next season we could run longer format Mondays and shorter format Wednesdays or whatever days people prefer both in seasons as we can split prizemoney between the 2 and maybe multiple it by any number we like. :D We can change Mondays with discussions post season but I was amazed we had so many finish the Silverstone boat race.

Actual start numbers arent much less then we had in shorter format AC seasons and we can look at numbers for sprint rounds vs enduros to see if there is a big difference in numbers between the 2.

With people that run a round or 2 then dont come back or those that sign up amd never race, if they dont even say what their reasons are nobody will ever know amd nothing will ever change.

4 of the next 6 rounds are sprint format with 1 90 minute enduro and the longer Spa Enduro, if we get an update by Spa allowing teams would be good. But if it still has fairly key critical issues with a small test group thats pretty experianced in ACC. Letting people use it on a race night when they likely wont ever test it prior to that will just end up dissapointing a few more on the night, possibly take down the server for everyone else.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    SteveDrivingSlowly, Rolz and Pablo like this.
  8. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

Paul Ricard is also probably the worst track for penalties because it's so easy to cut/go wide and maintain speed... I think if u could join us on Wednesdays @Anon666 you'd also have fun... most of us haven't had a chance to put hours and hours in because of the quick turn around... and it's nice to see the fast guys actually have a few offs on a Wednesday where they are absolutely clinical most Monday nights.
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  9. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

Well done to all who got through the 2 hour marathon on Monday :). We need to print up some t-shirts saying "I survived 2hrs at Paul Ricard". Congrats to Andy, Captain Barra & Marty.

For me it was another lackluster race. I deliberately chose a 2 stopper to reduce the stint lengths which did help a little. I hung in there but my pace was slow and I had very few battles. I only gained positions through the misfortune of others which is not how I want to be getting points. I also had to put up with some annoying technical issues. @SteveDrivingSlowly may have the best "tactical sabotage" team in the comp but I think my team takes the cake for best "technical sabotage"!

- USB hub connecting my extra controllers suddenly died last week
    - Hours of plug and re-plug into various USB ports to make them load and stay in correct device order after system reboots.
    - Device order appeared to be stable over next few days
    - Monday official prac I have weird lockups, spins and brake fades making the session useless (Team, what have you done?)
    - Finally realise that the USB device order has randomly changed again meaning JoyToKey mapping is overlayed onto wheel instead of joystick so that each upshift increases ABS and each downshift decreases TC - WTF?! (Team, very clever)
    - Quickly jump out of sim to disconnect the joystick meaning no ABS, TC & brake bias levers (had to use MFD in race which is a PITA).
    - I miss my Oculus Rift :(
    - Force Feedback felt like crap which has been an ongoing issue - see below.

As of last night I think I have solved the FFB issue! Fanatec users take note.

TL;DR - Fanatec driver was borked for weeks. Managed a reset through PS4 mode button. Viola! Feel is back!

Long version:
    I haven't been enjoying ACC for more than a month and I knew it had to do with the force feedback. I've felt disconnected from the car with a strange lack of detailed FFB but with an overly strong wheel centering spring force. I thought ACC had done something in the recent update and I pulled my hair out trying to find a decent feel but nothing worked.

Finally last night I decided to open the Fanatec control panel just to check and it wouldn't load. I hadn't opened that for ages as I didn't think I needed to. It seems the Fanatec driver had crashed and stayed crashed for weeks! Weird. On a hunch I switched the wheel mode to PS4 using the mode button and tried to load the control panel again. To my surprise a graphic popped up telling me to switch the wheel to PC mode again. I did that and then tried to load the Fanatec control panel and bam! it loaded. All was fine so I jumped into ACC and oh what a world of difference! Finally the detailed feel of ACC was back! Yay. I may not be faster in the next races but I think I'll be enjoying it again!
    SteveDrivingSlowly and Rolz like this.
  10. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Rookie

I used to run the CSL Elite PS4 base and that random "rubber band centre spring effect" driver bug used to drive me crazy. When it decided to do it the only thing that would fix it was uninstall drivers, restart computer, reinstall drivers, restart computer and it would be back to normal. Fanatec is great as their innovation and vision is really important to have in the *cough* budget segment, but there are certainly some quirks that come with this o_O
    krunch and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.
  11. andyo450

andyo450 Team Driver Super ROOZ

Track cuts are a bit tougher at PR than other tracks. I got one early on at t2. I did lift a fair bit and lost a few tenths but it still gave me a warning. I don't think that would've been the case at other tracks from experience.
    As far as putting tyres with the wrong pressures on, once you pit it will change the pit strategy to the next number which will have the silly pit default pressures. I guess this would've happened after you pitted for damage.
  12. Pablo

Pablo Rookie

Too low you reckon? How much should I increase them by (if you don't mind sharing :))?
  13. marty

marty AC Server Legend

It entirely depends on the track and temps, you want to set your hot temps to end up close to 28 all round, I prefer a bit under rather then over.
    SteveDrivingSlowly, Rolz and Pablo like this.
  14. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

Porsche definitely seems to like psi in the mid-27's... even low 28's is noticeable on the track...
  15. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

Have to agree with that - the Ferrari also very noticably different when you get into the high 28's/low 29's but seems like the pressure and tyre temp work hand in hand (if they are orange or a bit blue, this seems to mean less grip even if pressures are in the optimum window) - I have been trying to balance it so temps and pressures are in the goldilocks zone - and not really getting it right!
  16. andyo450

andyo450 Team Driver Super ROOZ

The default setups are usually not too far out. The default pressures that the pit menu will have are lower than that and are symmetric ( something like 25.3 for the fronts and 25.1 for the rears) . If you change your compound in the pit menu while on track and change it back to dry it will set your pressures to the ones you had set in your setup.

As far as pressures I found 27.8 hot to be a good start point. Recently in the 720 I've noticed it likes a bit higher at the front particularly for high speed turn in. Its a little bit to slow for me otherwise. At brands hatch I was running 28.5 on the front right. It was .2 of a second quicker through the 2nd last corner than 27.8 so I stuck with it. It may vary from car to car, Nothing I've driven before responded well to above 28psi. Best to experiment a bit with them to find what suits you.
  17. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Rookie

I've noticed recently that there's a big pressure difference between qualifying and race fuel loads. Back in earlier builds it seemed pretty consistent between the two, I definitely recommend re-testing pressures when building a race setup. 27.8 is also the sweet spot for me, below this is slower and slipperier but controllable, above 28 is where the 'slow slide/spin' can start to become an issue.

There are a couple of things you can do to slightly alter your hot pressures when on track to band-aid an issue during the race. The usual suspects such as steering input speed and reducing entry speed can help a bit with fronts, throttle control and tweaking TC can help get rears under control. In addition to this you can also play with brake bias a bit. 1% bias to the rear can make as much as 50 degrees difference to the front brake temps at some tracks (and vice versa), so if you're having trouble with pressures at a certain end of the car you can shift the bias a bit to help bring your brake temps down at that end -reducing tire core temp and operating pressure. Adding 1 click of ABS can help to keep stability with more rear bias if needed without compromising too much braking performance. Of course but doing this you also need to make sure that you're not suddenly cooking the brakes at the end that you've shifted the bias towards :D