PC PC building & spec check

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Jul 23, 2011.

1. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    Looking at the leaked gainward cards today on their website seem to prove all the other leaks have been pretty accurate so far. I'm just waiting to see how much the Australia tax is so I can decide between the 3080 and 3090. I've sold my 2070 super and actually earned a few bucks on it after 9 months of owning it (which is mental) so I'm all set for the release now.
  2. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

Good move and certainly one lots of people recommended if you had the ability/will to do it...
  3. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Well I figured that I haven't entered any leagues yet (as I've been waiting on NBN which was installed a few weeks ago) so I won't be missing that yet if I have to wait for a while due to low stock and I also have a switch, a PS4 Pro (that hasn't been looked at for a year) and 3 kids and a wife to keep me busy in the mean time.
    Rolz likes this.
  4. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Does anyone think that the 3700x will be a bottleneck on a 3080/90 @ 2k/4k?
  5. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Dammit I was up at 2.15am to watch the NVIDIA reveal, the cards look great and at great prices (RIP Turing) but they aren't available until September 17th and there will be no preorders at all.
  6. Rolz

will still wait for real benchmarks to drop... the big navi news on performance is also interesting, but will hold judgement there too until real benchmarks come out again...
  7. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
  8. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    Total console pleb considering building an entry level gaming PC on a budget. Looking to run ACC and/or iracing among others. Kids will probably want to run some fps games as well (no idea which ones). 1080p and 60 fps is probably fine for a start, as will likely only have a crappy TV to use initially, but may upgrade to 1080p, 120 fps in future or beyond. Totally bewildered by limited Google searches and not sure exactly where to start. Any tips and tricks on where to start would be appreciated. The cheaper the better I guess, but looking ~1000-1500 budget (if I can get the approval past the "boss").
  9. Rolz

hey @UrsineSaturn9 any new computer computer purchase would be driven (pardon the pun) but the graphics card... a new range of nvidia cards are just on the horizon to be released... so the current batch will be substantially reduced... when would u think u could get a funds release from the Minister of Home Affairs?
    There are a few here that would be able to help spec something up... iRacing is relatively easy as it's graphics requirements are substantially lower than ACC... and again FPS games vary from old school, to ones that make PC's cry just from the thought of it... haha.. but if u can get a good experience in ACC, being relatively current it should put u in good stead for most other games...
  10. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    You can pick up a brand new 2080ti for $999 today at shopping express. It's a gigabyte card.
  11. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    I'm in no rush. Maybe have something built by Christmas time. So if I blow $1000 on a graphics card, that doesn't sound like much budget left for everything else. Thinking might be better to start at something lower spec and upgrade in say a year or two depending how it goes. My benchmark is 30 fps on PS4 for ACC so surely even a modest PC running the game at lower settings will do a better job. Anyway, I'll do some more research over the next month or so and see where things land
  12. Rolz

interesting video... been following him for a while... he's fallen off the 3080 hype train... certainly be interesting to see how this all develops over the next few months.
  13. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
  14. Rolz

we all need 3080 in the hands of actual users to stat understanding if the capability is there or not... I'm not after 4K, I just want to run my Rift S maxed out :D
    beakeroo likes this.
  15. its-benny-racer

its-benny-racer Professional Gold Member

Yep, max settings at 80fps on the rift s would be all I ever need
    Rolz likes this.
  16. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Are you guys looking at the new Rift?

The 3080 is looking like a good card for me, running 5120 X 1440 is almost as taxing as 4k so that extra power will not go to waste.
  17. Rolz

You mean Quest2? Not at this point... Wary of FB’s new must have a FB account policy and if u get banned on their platform u potentially lose access to the Oculus platform... Not that I get banned a lot, but it’s a concern
    Spidey_11 likes this.
  18. its-benny-racer

its-benny-racer Professional Gold Member

Well, unless you can get banned for not using facebook, I should be fine. The Rift S is fine for me right now given I only use it for iRacing. I will upgrade my wheel and PC long before I look at another VR unit.
  19. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Having seen some of the crap I have at Facebook I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get banned
  20. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Well I got an order in for the EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra from PLE, now I guess we'll have to wait and see how long it's gonna be.
    Rolz and UrsineSaturn9 like this.