ACC RaceOnOz ACC [PC] Season 4 - Round 2 Sprint KYALAMI!

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by krunch, Oct 8, 2020.

1. THE_UNDER_STUDY

THE_UNDER_STUDY Team Driver

I suppose at least I'm consistent. :whistling::whistling:

I haven't watched the replay and thought I was tagged/tapped into you lap one, but obviously not. So I will add another apology to that list.
  2. Flamebadger

Flamebadger ACC Server Legend

Highlights from tonight (uploaded but still to be processed into SD and then HD quality versions, will probably take until the morning):

These will also be posted to the Results and Standings thread in due course.
  3. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

Some great battles early on with Neale and other GT4's around us - I didn't really do a good job of setting up the car for this one, and I kept going backwards in the early laps. I noticed the pressures were off so I decided to pit early. At some point after that I somehow must have brushed the rotary I have assigned to ABS because for a few laps I kept locking under braking and eventually span. I thought maybe a tyre had gone pop but the psi's were within range. Look at the ABS and it's at 0. Doh!

Late stages Art Vandelay was doing a great job of keeping me at bay, but on the final lap a pair of GT3's came by and gave me the opportunity to attack and steal 4th. Only got there by a couple corners.

Congrats to Lucas for the win in the GT3's and @Rolz for taking out the GT4's - bimmer was a winner!
  4. Wally

Wally Team Driver

Fun race again. At the start, there were yellow flags at T1, so I slowed down, but despite my caution, I ended up nosed against a car at right angles to the track, stuck there watching the field drive off. But from there things improved, ending up in nearly a race-long battle with krunch. It was kinda surreal, chasing him like in a "regular" race, then this storm of GT3s would arrive and mess up the place and I'd lose sight of Krunch, but when the GT3s left, our race resumed. We swapped positions a few times, but finally I capitalised on him running wide and was able to pull away. I accidentally did car repairs in my stop that I didn't need to do, costing me only 2 or 3 seconds. Finishing 8th was not bad for me.
    tezpez85, Spidey_11, krunch and 3 others like this.
  5. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

I had a hugely fun race. Q was OK but the lap I put in was about a second of my best in practice and only good enough for 8th, however I chose to stay in the pits once the GT3's came out.

The first few laps of the race were chaotic and I ended up with 28 seconds of damage and in third from last position, but the car seemed mostly fine aside from a loss of some top speed. I was still able to get close to my normal race pace, so I decided to stay out and knuckle down to the recovery drive!

Had great battles with @krunch, @gominiman, @AGK, @Bueller and others on my way back through the field. I chose not to repair during my pit as that would have been race over for me and this turned out to be a very good decision as I ended up extremely happy with my finish.

Incidents will happen, that is racing, and especially with a big field of mixed class cars - watch the real series, or any stream (like the recent 12 hours of nurburgring with Aris.drives) and you will see a tonne of similar problems. Yes they are avoidable but you can only control what happens with your own car.I try and focus on that and last night I really enjoyed the drive, I had pretty decent pace, some great battles and I didn't make any big errors - very happy this morning!
    tezpez85, Bueller, Spidey_11 and 3 others like this.
  6. killagorilla

killagorilla Rookie

That's me...thank you! I've had my eyes on you in the rear view mirror...always thought, 'bloody hell, this guy is faster than me', but then the gap increased again here and there.
    Hmm...so that's what it's like racing in the dark...not that I need anything making it more difficult (hard enough making it through a long race like that), but it's pretty cool :)
    Well, qualy was a bit average, but the race went well. I managed to keep out of trouble...not 100% sure, but I think I finished the race without scratch on the car...that's luck. Otherwise only one spin in one hour...without hitting anything...that's luck as well.
    I really did try sticking to the rules re lapping the GT4's...avoiding kamikaze overtakings...even if it's very tempting. Got stuck behind them through curvy bits a number of times, but was lucky there's no GT3 close behind me at these times.
    It was great fun...thanks.
  7. Frostwa

Frostwa Rookie

@R.Blair or @S.Blair
    Not sure which one was in the pink Lamborghini last night but sorry for my part in the L1 T3 incident, after getting used as a berm on the exit of T1 I honestly did not know there was a car on the left of me nor did I hear the spotter advise me of such. If I had of known I would have left alot more room. IMHO though I don't think T3 is a passing corner for GT3's there anyway and it always ends in tears
  8. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

First up sorry @SteveDrivingSlowly and @Paulfaus for the incident lap 2 T6. Although I was unsure at the time I now know that I tapped Steve's left rear under braking causing him to slide into Paul who half spun and got stuck facing the wall. Steve recovered but had lost position to me. Also a bunch of cars behind us were also affected as they took avoiding action. I slowed down in case I should redress but I was unsure at the time if I cad caused the contact as I had absolutely no sense of impact in any way in the cockpit (no FF change, no audio bump noise, no visual change in my car's movement, but also - no excuse). I asked Steve if it had been me that had hit him and if so I would redress but he wasn't sure. I was a bit confused but decided to carry on without redressing.

After watching the replay I can see that it was my error and how much it stuffed things up. The replay clearly shows me tapping Steve into a slide who then unavoidably hits the rear of Paul's car causing him to spin. This must have set Paul's race back badly and I feel bad for that. This incident is a slam dunk penalty in my book so I'm happy to accept one. Even if I had fully redressed back behind Paul I feel it would not completely negate a penalty in this case. Redressing is the right thing to do (when you know you are most likely at fault) but in some cases such as multiple cars affected a penalty should still be given.

Apart from that my race was OK. I was off pace here for some reason but also lucky in that I avoided all the big incidents while other's around me got caught up. I had excellent battles with Steve, @Wally and @AGK and (pending penalty) ended up with a reasonable result. This multiclass racing is crazy fun :)

Well done everyone once again for attempting to minimise the multiclass passing issues. From my perspective everyone did a good job and even though I saw a few desperado moves I understand that they are going to occur from time to time, especially in this learning phase for all of us.
  9. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

I honestly did not know what happened at that turn, only that I got a bump - but in the end did not affect me that much. No protest from me or need for penalty/ apology mate - you are one of the fairest, cleanest drivers out there.
    krunch likes this.
  10. nanlatt

nanlatt ACC Server Legend Gold Member

After a few weeks away from the wheel I had very low expectations for this race. I had a clean start start without any issue and proceeded to settle in. I was having an absolute cracking battle with J.LYN before squeezing past on lap 7. However, just after the overtake I came across a slow moving Audi on the back straight at mineshaft who was on the racing line. I couldn't go out side as I would likely have gone straight off into the wall so tried to go tight at the apex, caught some grass and off into the gravel. Got back on track with dirty tyres and couldn't pull it up and hit J.LYN as he tried to go around the outside at Crocodiles causing us both to have damage. Very sorry J.LYN, probably a penalty coming my way.

After the pitstop I tried going about making up some of the ground I had lost and had an unfortunate incident with @krunch who had no idea I has barreling down on him down the main straight. As I took avoiding action I spun like a top but ended up facing the right way and continued on but lost about 11 seconds. The end was near and was fortunate to make up 3 places on the final lap as other were having their own dramas. P9 and very happy given my low expectations.

Congrats to all, it wasn't easy overtaking or being overtaken on what is probably one of the best tracks on the calendar.
  11. Paulfaus

Paulfaus Rookie

No worries mate. After everything else that went on in that race I pretty much ended up where I belonged. Honestly I’m happy with a sorry and let’s get on with it. I was more annoyed about getting turned around by at gt3 Lambo who happily continued on without slowing. Anyway, no point getting worried about it.

Pretty intense race in the gt4s again, but good fun in the end. Amazing fun with over 40 cars on track. Thanks again guys.

Paul
    SteveDrivingSlowly and krunch like this.
  12. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

Yep great to see you back mate!

And sorry about that mix up on the straight. Checking the replay from your cockpit I can see how it happened. I had just been passed by 2 cars at the same time - Wally in his GT4 on the right and a GT3 on the left so I thought I'd sneak some of the Gt3's draft by moving a bit to the left. That move may have made you think I'd seen you and had moved over to let you through so you stayed right. But I hadn't seen you unfortunately and in fact you were approaching in my blind spot which explains my empty mirrors. Then as I started to drift back a bit right to get Wally's draft you got boxed in while closing at high speed and boy did my RH mirror suddenly fill quick! Probably as fast as your undies did! And it all happened right at the kink too which just made it worse. Bit of shame. Maybe that's what you get for driving a black stealth fighter at night :p
    SteveDrivingSlowly and nanlatt like this.
  13. jlynn777

jlynn777 Team Driver

All good man, wasn’t ideal but I know you weren’t doing anything silly - was a hairy moment though haha!
    Was stressed trying to keep you behind but you were way faster, you had no problems catching me up each time lol
    Hopefully we can have a few more battles :)

Well done everyone, that was a fun round.
  14. killagorilla

killagorilla Rookie

There was an incident where a GT4 lost its rear end out of the last turn onto the start-finish straight. I was very close behind it from turn 13 all the way through. No idea if it was you, but I was in a silver Lambo GT3...and this GT4 ended up in the wall to the left I think. The way I see it the GT4 lost control accelerating out of turn 16 just by itself, I finally wanted to pass on the inside/left and this GT4 ended up in front of me. I veered right, didn't see myself at fault and kept going.
    I just tried to watch the replay in order to see what exactly happened, but autosave wasn't activated (I changed that).
    If that was you and I really did cause you spinning then please accept my apologies.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  15. Paulfaus

Paulfaus Rookie

Ah OK, that could have been. I just remember desparatly trying to hang on to Gock's Mercedes and spinning around. I thought I was hit but I guess I should be more annoyed with myself!

Roll on Monza. I wonder if I can fit a v12 in the back on the 570?
  16. Flamebadger

Flamebadger ACC Server Legend

For those who wish to report anything, a reminder that we must receive a protest or report by 11:59pm AEDT tonight for us to look into the matter.

Additionally, the admin team has completed its review of the major incidents at T2 and T5 on lap 1 (the kink on the main straight is actually T1, so congrats everyone on a 100% clean T1 this round :p).Normally we will not post investigation outcomes in the round thread and confine it to the penalty and protest zone. However, as we did say both on Discord and earlier in the thread we would look into these incidents, we want to ensure everyone is aware of the outcome of the review.

In short summary:
    The review demonstrated there were two separate although not unrelated incidents at T2 and then T5.
    T2 - No penalties or warnings are being issued
    T5 - No Penalties and a single warning has been issued

A fuller post is available in the penalty and protest zone for those particularly interested, but importantly having reviewed the opening corners, it is clear to the admin team that regarding the initial and major collision at T2, although it impacted many people's races, no one involved in the incident was being overly aggressive, piled into the corner with too much speed or was too late on the brakes. It was unfortunate it affected so many drivers, but no one was predominantly or mostly to blame. Indeed the control inputs of the drivers involved largely showed everyone was trying to be careful and considerate.

I know it was a bit of a mess in Turn 2, but on this occasion everyone was largely trying to be sensible, and it was an unfortunate racing incident. Fair play to everyone involved who just picked themselves up and got on with the race! :thumbsup:
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020