ACC RaceOnOz ACC [PC] Season 4 - Round 3 Enduro MONZA!

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by krunch, Oct 16, 2020.

1. staffy0707

staffy0707 Rookie

Had the best battle with P.Hatfield last night. Easily the best in my short Sim racing career. Even had 4 wide on lap 34 onto the front straight as we had two gt3s round us up too. I might be down the back but definitely loving this league and everyone racing as clean and fair as possible.
    Frostwa, Spidey_11, krunch and 5 others like this.
  2. Wally

Wally Team Driver

Clean race for me. No dramas, no (bad) mistakes. Again, I forgot to turn off unnecessary repairs in my stop, which cost me a few extra seconds, and my pressures ended up a bit low in the cooling evening, but the car still felt fine.
  3. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

I had pretty much a dream night last night.

The Merc GT4 is VERY strong at Monza and this allowed me to grab P2 in qualy with a personal best time. I even had two small mistakes in that lap that were probably worth a tenth or two each...so could have gone even better!

I am really not used to starting that far up the field so had a feeling of vertigo for the duration of the formation lap. Rolz got a cracking start from P1 and managed to get far enough in front to move over onto the outside line, but then the Merc POWAH kicked in and as I started to catch I moved onto the inside line and found there was a huge amount of space in front of me.

Coming in to T1 I saw the GT3's braking very early so followed suit but with all that I space ahead I actually ended up in P1 and in the GT3 pack coming onto Curva Grande. Everything was very clean through there ahead and so I was in the unfamiliar position of being in P1 with no damage and just got my head down and cracked on.

I knew Pro class drivers @Rolz and @Jeremy Talbot were faster than me as I had seen them both doing incredible times in Q and FP before the race, and I also had worries about @tezpez85 as I know his race pace is always very fast. So I was thinking to myself just be consistent, don't fight the Pro's as that is not your race, if they come close let 'em by - my chance for a podium was going to come from pit strategy or incidents. After somehow breezing through the huge crash coming out of Ascari I managed to hold the lead for a few laps until those three drivers started to catch me. Each got past and then I was just in a rhythm and managing traffic until there was an incident up ahead in T2 involving I think @andyo450 @Rolz and maybe on other car - I didn't see what happened but found myself back in P3 unexpectedly. I was building a nice gap to those behind and holding the gap mostly stable against Tez and Talbot in front. Rolz went in to pit and then so the did others, and I held on for a long first stint as per my plan. The thinking being that when traffic reduces during the mid-race pitting there is a good opportunity to gain some time if you can keep your tyres alive. I had a perfect pit stop and came out around 10 seconds ahead of Rolz.

Not much excitement after this, just lapping and lapping and trying to keep a Rhythm and not make any mistakes. I held a 10 second gap from Rolz behind and we were both slightly catching the drivers ahead on the last laps but no where near quick enough to challenge for position - and that is how it went until the end - managed P3 and I think my best result in a league race yet! Super stoked!

Also noticed a big improvement in the GT3's working through traffic - I only had three scary moments (2 x passes at Ascari and one mega dive bomb) which I think is pretty decent considering all things. Hope you all had fun races too!
    Frostwa, Spidey_11, krunch and 7 others like this.
  4. killagorilla

killagorilla Rookie

A few things went wrong, but that's not much of a surprise for a 1.5h race...at least for me...never done that before. However, it was a fun race...thanks everyone.
    A silly pit speeding mistake causing a SG penalty and I ran into a wall somewhere screwing up aero and steering.
    Well, I'd like to ask D. Strelnikov to stop running into me. That happened at Misano and now here twice. It seems you generally can brake a bit later than me, please take that into consideration...you didn't redress either. I mean I make mistakes myself, but I really try to be careful...and if I ran into one I certainly make sure that I'm extra careful with that particular car.
    Otherwise really lucky finish catching A. Kerrison on the last lap...I think that was just a few centimeters...sorry.
    And an apology to I think it was T. Murray for the nudge at the 1st chicane...good you've made it through the shortcut safely back onto track.
    Cheers
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Frostwa, Spidey_11, krunch and 4 others like this.
  5. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

That was a busy one! After an eventful first few laps, the GT4's were still running in qualifying order. Over the course of a few laps, I managed to pick up positions on minor mistakes from drivers in front. After @SteveDrivingSlowly went wide at Ascari, I had some fantastic battling for several laps with @Rolz in the early laps until he had an incident with one of the GT3's coming through. Before the stops @Jeremy was closing in at a concerning pace, and afterwards he kept the blowtorch on. However, towards the closing stages he too had an incident which put him back several seconds, so got lucky there.
  6. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Rookie

That's a win for both of us :roflmao:

That was a great round for me. Although I didn't quite give myself enough space for a clean run in quali I still managed p3 so I was very happy with that.

Race start was very clean by all, so surprised but also very stoked by that. I lost a position pretty early on to put me in 4th but managed to hold on to the guys in front. Once @tezpez85 had passed @SteveDrivingSlowly I came up behind Steve but that pesky merc power down the straight led to me having a VERY tough time trying to get past. I had to resort to using a gt3 going by to weasel my way past into the first Lesmo, thank you whoever that was :D. I think by that time @Rolz had had an off so I was in 2nd chasing down Terry for 1st. The old adage "traffic giveth and traffic taketh away" never rang truer than this race. It seemed that Terry and I were on similar pace but gt3's would overtake and I'd lose a second, then they'd overtake Terry and he'd lose a second. We were pretty much within 2 seconds or less for most of that second half of the race, it was a lot of fun I tell ya.

Unfortunately with about 10 minutes to go I was lapping Peter Hatfield (Don't know your forum name sorry) with a gt3 lapping me at the same time. I braked into turn 1 and moved slightly to the left as I thought Hatfield was going to lift as he was being lapped but I should never assume. Got tapped and spun through the run off area which lost me about 6 seconds or so but fortunately no positions lost. So I lost the chance to continue the fight for the lead but still came home in 2nd.

Gotta say the gt3's lapping was greatly improved in this race, glad to see the patience that you guys had, thank you :thumbsup:
  7. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    P.Hatfield would be @gominiman
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  8. cerp

cerp Rookie

Great clean race for everyone for the most part. I had a tough race as my quali was poor as I tripped over traffic on my fast laps and qualified 18th. I accidentally took to wrong setup for the race and was running the wrong pads as well as not opening up brake ducts so I was struggling all the way through. Finished 13th overall but should have been top 10 had I not bottled it at lesmo 2 when my cat jumped on my lap in the braking zone haha. I did however just missed the pile up on the back straight which was edge of the seat stuff!

Audi doesn’t like Monza so should have a much stronger showing at Zolder so pls don’t demote me yet haha.
  9. SteveDrivingSlowly

Don't worry mate that table is a very much simplified view of the data we are working with to make class decisions (was designed just as a very quick and simple reference for pre-season class setting). It is unlikely we will make any demotions at the round 4 review I think. Also, GT4 drivers may be worried but don't be - currently the calculation is based only on GT3 times in our DB, so we won't be using those to make any decisions about GT4 drivers. I am about 60% finished on adapting this for multi-class stuff - hopefully done before next week.
    tezpez85, krunch and Jeremy Talbot like this.
  10. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

Good old Monza almost always has a trick or two for me. I've had some serious disasters there in the past - but last night wasn't one of them. I had a clean qual which included a PB. I had a clean race with no damage and no major offs. Even so I still finished a fair way down the order because... BOP! Ah well, hopefully things BOP the other way on another track :).

Lap 1, T1 right in front of me I saw @Paulfaus sadly get turned around in a really unlucky slow double punt. I was fortunate to be able to drive straight past on the left but the other 'lane' got stopped dead which put me quite a few spots ahead coming out of the chicane. After that I had some good battles for a bunch of laps, along with an unfortunate incident with @fRZn when two GT3's were trying to pass just as he was trying to pass me. He spun across my front and into the wall heavily. Really unlucky mate and I don't think any of the 4 cars was at fault.

After that it was an fun race that really went nowhere for me. I had no more battles - just GT3's to dodge (which is still kinda fun). Towards the end I noticed Paulfaus was catching me and he had me worried I could lose a spot. In fact he was right on my tail by the chequered flag. Good recovery mate.

As others have mentioned it seems to me everyone is getting better and better at the multiclass stuff so well done all :).
  11. nanlatt

nanlatt ACC Server Legend Gold Member

I managed to get a descent setup for Monza with the car being stable everywhere except Ascari. I just couldn't attack it with any confidence at all and giving up time there every lap as I tip toed through to avoid the exit kerb.

Didn't get a good lap in Qualy which put me in 17th for the start. I some how got up to 9th and was having a great time chasing @WALLZY with the gap fluctuating as we negotiated the GT4's going about their business. With about 5 laps to go before my scheduled pit stop I was on his tail finally when I just tagged the exit kerb at Ascari which sent me into a small slide which I caught, but as it gripped up it speared me into the outside wall. The incident itself only cost me 5 or 6 seconds on track but I had to repair 25 seconds of damage which ruined what was shaping up to be a cracking battle as our pace was similar.

The rest of the race was fairly uneventful and to end up 9th was unexpected as other must have had their own tails of woe. Still I felt I could have got so much more had it not been what was a minor mistake with big consequences. Still great fun. The multiclass is great and it means you are never alone on track, which was likely to be the case towards the end if the GT4's weren't there. The driving was excellent buy all wherever I was on track. Well done everyone.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  12. SteveDrivingSlowly

That captures it really well mate - for me at least, in previous seasons there have always been big dead zones where I was in my own bubble for an extended period - this is so much more fun!
  13. Wally

Wally Team Driver

Yes, this season is a real buzz.