Learnings from S13, what to keep/change for S14

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by Hatfield, Nov 20, 2020.

1. CAB77

CAB77 Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    CAB-77_
    Yep this.
    ScottPye20 and Peersy like this.
  2. funk-13

funk-13 Rookie

PSN ID
    Funk-13
    Have an idea for track limits.

instead of having to review footage etc after the race and keeping everyone honest, set the corner cutting on strict or normal. If you get a penalty you simply serve it on the start/finish straight by pulling off the racing line, lift off the throttle or brake which ever is needed to serve the penalty.

I did this between my mates and it worked well because if you have someone behind you know they know you need to serve a penalty, and it’s easy to report if they didn’t move over, the only issue with this is if you get bumped off the track and you get a penalty it’s hard to decide if you should or should serve, but if you believe you don’t need to and don’t serve it and at the end when it’s reviewed and you should have served you can penalise more or something.

I hope that makes sense lol.
    incey and UrsineSaturn9 like this.
  3. T F Eccles

T F Eccles Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    @Max Gassit, myself and few others tested this last year as well, with just track limit penalties on weak. It worked OK on the whole. The issue that arises is that at some tracks, Le Mans is a prime example, the game's track limits are quite strict and don't match with ROOZ track limits. E.g. in some corners where we allow two wheels on the ripple strip, the other two off track, the game will ping you.
    Max Gassit likes this.
  4. Max Gassit

Max Gassit Team Driver

PSN ID
    Max_Gassit_28
    I have been in series that required the penalty to be served prior to commencement of the next lap. That gave drivers the opportunity to remove it in a preferred section that lost the least amount of momentum. It worked well. Given that some tracks are a bit oddball, revert to the original system. The majority work ok and at least offer a degree of consistency.
  5. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    This is similar in assetto corsa. with a bit of practice you soon learn where the limits are. acc is a bit better though coz you get a couple of warnings before the penalty. in saying that though the penalty is very severe with a drive through so maybe a light penalty for every breach in gts would be manageable.
    possibly if getting hit off gets you the penalty then on stewards review the hitor (new word alert) get 2x or 3x the penalty off their race time
  6. CaptainRisky21

CaptainRisky21 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    CaptainRisky21
    The problem is that GTS track limits aren't consistent, or the limit is hard to pinpoint. ROOZ track limits work because there is an obvious border that everyone can see and understand. If somebody is setting suspiciously fast laps in the race, save the replay and watch them. If they track extend, protest. If you are following somebody and they are abusing the track limits reguarly, protest them.
    gtkingx likes this.
  7. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    are you confusing performance with points gained? a bad result that gets you demoted will of course lead to less points despite a great race the next week. if you are demoted you are by default expected to do better in that room than you did in the one previous. my room 3 last to room 5 1st is a prime example from my point of view.
    Easyprey007 and CaptainRisky21 like this.
  8. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Not points, just my performance compared to those I usually compete with.
  9. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    this car is the great unequaliser
    gtkingx, T F Eccles and emmo46 like this.
  10. Max Gassit

Max Gassit Team Driver

PSN ID
    Max_Gassit_28
    ROOZ track limits are good, it's only the application, abuse and policing of them that create the problems.
  11. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    I had 4th fastest race time in div 3 but there were 13 drivers that got more points than me, effectively a 14th place finish.
    CAB77 likes this.
  12. Dybo

Dybo Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    GQPatrolWagon
    While I think that the change has been interesting, as a Div 5 driver it has made it a little less enjoyable for me. Last season (when I joined ROOZ), it was fun racing with the same blokes each week. I also think that the additional points the better drivers in Div 5 have gotten from racing in the higher rooms has removed the ability for the remainder to compete for the championship. I have seen numbers drop as we have progressed through the season, possibly for these reasons.

The suggestion to go to three divisions will not improve regular attendance of (lower division) drivers who are not able to compete, IMHO. If persisting with the model of moving rooms, I would also restrict the movement to one room above the drivers division in order to limit the number of points available to accrue.
  13. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    As much as I would like to wait to comment until seasons end so that I have some data to present, but now is as good as.
    I believe the moving rooms so only happen post the R1Q and it be the first and final move.
    We use the pre existing data, alongside the promotion / regulation system to initially seed the docs.
    I will be doing a compare of div placement post season finish to the pre existing divisional data. If within close, I think it would be less of a headache for all racers to use our existing system.
    R1Q is used to filter the racers who 'get' or 'struggle' with a car. Then the divisions don't change.
    You can only be promoted if you win or there is a very close battle for the championship.

I'm keen to see the compare.
    Hatfield, emmo46 and Peersy like this.
  14. CAB77

PSN ID
    CAB-77_
    I'm so keen to look at all the data at the end of the season. I like the overall championship. I have always been an advocate for some sort of overall championship. It gives little side goals. I completely understand what GQ is saying though.

I believe we can build on this concept and make it dam good.
    Matthyus likes this.
  15. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Too add to GQ's comments, I believe that a racer can't drop lower than 1 division than their allocated one in R1Q.
    I'm / We are also unsure on how to score an overall system if the room points are left like the original system.
    Perhaps, like the Teams Championship it is an added feature and not the main drawcard, with its own points system like it has now.
    CAB77 likes this.
  16. CAB77

PSN ID
    CAB-77_
    Yep many questions. Maybe go to a previous season and apply a points system using race times. I think a time penalty should still apply for lower rooms. Or if it we are looking at it from just a separate feature maybe we don't apply the time penalty and see where people end up. No correct answers here just suggestions.
  17. ScottPye20

ScottPye20 Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    ScottPye20
    Just go back the old system and be done with it. I was much happier racing the same guys each week.
    Tony4Fingerz likes this.
  18. BKXI

BKXI Rookie

I’ll be honest. My participation next season depends on which system and cars get used. But I’ve done 4 rounds so far this season and I’ve been thrown around rooms every single week. 1st in T4, 2nd in T3, 12th in T2 and 4th in T3 last night. Getting thrown around rooms every week isn’t the most enjoyable thing because I’m constantly racing new people and it feels like I’m not racing for anything. I 100% agree with Fubbles here.
    Tony4Fingerz likes this.
  19. gtkingx

gtkingx Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    gtkingx
    Maybe R1Q would be best run across multiple tracks if it's going to be used to set your division for the season. Some drivers will be fast on only certain tracks and really struggle on others
    funk-13, Slartybar and UrsineSaturn9 like this.
  20. CAB77

PSN ID
    CAB-77_
    R1Q can not be just based on times I feel. People sandbagging (yeah you know who you are) or people over achieving cause they practiced a heap. I can fall in to both crowds here depending if I work the week leading up to it. Like this weekend just passed I had like 2 hours of practice before the race. Other weeks I'll have 20 mins and I'll suck like I did at Lemans.

@NAACS no particular reason for the tag just saying hi.
    Xtr3meNZer, NAACS, razor4797 and 2 others like this.