ACC RaceOnOz ACC [PC] Season 5 - Round 5 Paul Ricard Super Sprint

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Competizione PC Monday Night' started by SteveDrivingSlowly, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Bueller

Bueller Rookie

That's kind of what I meant by my post, "from experience" you're now inside the Matrix lol. Until then it's mostly luck whether you get it right or not lol. I still enjoy it despite sounding like whining, variation is pretty cool in the game but it certainly takes experience to be on top of it.
    tezpez85, Mael, Wally and 1 other person like this.
  2. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    There is no spoon.....
  3. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

Yeah it is hard to pick it that is for sure! I certainly got it wrong last night in R2.

The best tip I can give (and understand this is coming from a mediocre driver who made the wrong choices last night!) is to watch the weather forecast in your MFD (just cycle through it until you see it at the top of the MFD window) or at the top right of the HUD at the start. Temps plus the outlook (sunny, cloudy, cloudy light rain etc) plus WIND are very important to pay attention to.

More wind = more variability, more chance of a change in conditions. Even knowing all this last night and paying attention to it, I still got it wrong by going on wets - because the forecast looked very similar as at the end of official practice and due to standing water, it was much better to be on wets at that point during FP.

That is where I made the mistake judging it - because there was no standing water on the track in Q2 or R2. With standing water, wets would have dominated as the temps and cloudiness would have probably meant the track would have stayed pretty wet. But no standing water to begin with and light rain easing off, meant dry tyres were clearly the correct choice. That is my bad for not thinking about that critical factor. People who understood that fact got the benefit!

I love this stuff, it's another skill to master and means that even though you might not have the outright pace, you have a chance to do well if you can make good decisions in these circumstances. Even the fastest guys can screw this up and these choices really stir the pot!

Of course if you are Tez you can make many bad life choices and still somehow end up on top. But I guess he has no sense of style and can't understand what a good livery looks like, so it all evens out in the end.
    nanlatt, krunch, Godzilla and 6 others like this.
  4. staffy0707

staffy0707 Rookie

I don't think it's that much of a lottery either. Mine was just a poor choice. I thought it might have been a half wet/ half dry race and I put money on wets. (As you can see I don't gamble very often lol)
    SteveDrivingSlowly and Bueller like this.
  5. Mael

Mael Professional

Well practice would have given you experience, and from Wacky Wednesday's experience it taught me to go with dry tires :p Now if only Wally would stop crashing into me I would be able to turn the "experience" into points! :cautious:
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  6. Wally

Wally Team Driver

[​IMG]
    krunch, tezpez85, c4rLo5 and 3 others like this.
  7. killagorilla

killagorilla Rookie

That's me. My tyre pressure was a tad too high anyway. This slide really cooked them :(. Seemed like you're staying behind me redressing. Then lost some positions because of my tyres and let you pass because you were so much better on the brakes. The 2nd nudge a bit later by someone else gave me the rest...no fun.
    CornfordCaster likes this.
  8. CornfordCaster

CornfordCaster Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member

https://clips.twitch.tv/SucculentPlacidYakTheTarFu-im5I-K5Msgc1QTdS
    Mightly job keeping that from going around, I had one later in the race there too but I wasn't as sideways as that!
    Godzilla and killagorilla like this.
  9. killagorilla

killagorilla Rookie

CornfordCaster likes this.
  10. TakFR

TakFR Rookie

Should be clear I don't hate weather variability, I enjoyed a race we had in Spa where there was a thunderstorm and everyone had trouble keeping it on the circuit a few seasons ago.

I just don't like when the MFD tells you to go on wets and it's the wrong choice, but at least now I know it can't be completely trusted. I really do wish you could tell more so visually whether the crossover point is there or not (spray/dry line etc)
  11. Mael

Mael Professional

Kunos uses the Ferrari (Italian) strategist. So as Vettel learned you should always take their advice and weather predictions with a pinch of salt :D

I always thought the guys with higher graphics settings have some advantage as I cannot see the dry line. Not to say anything about marbles and puddles! The worst is at Spa where there are some big puddles just after spa eau rouge which can cause aquaplaning. Vital to miss those.
    CornfordCaster and TakFR like this.
  12. SteveDrivingSlowly

I hear that mate, can be very frustrating.

I remember watching the British GT at Donnington (I think) last year and there we a few teams that actual left their cars in the pits on jacks for the start - and waited until the absolute last moment to decide on tyres, and then started from the pits! It was so awesome to watch them throwing the tyres on as the lights went green!
    TakFR and CornfordCaster like this.
  13. SteveDrivingSlowly

This is the race I think:

Looks like I misremembered a little - they put the tyres on during the formation lap and were all waiting at the pit exit for the flag
  14. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

Unless you're at Suzuka
    Bueller, krunch, c4rLo5 and 2 others like this.
  15. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

So what if I get my fashion tips from Jackie Stewart?!
    Bueller, krunch, c4rLo5 and 1 other person like this.
  16. TakFR

TakFR Rookie

Also got some highlights up for race 1, forgot to save them for the second race but it's better then nothing

Nick Firth, Bueller, tezpez85 and 3 others like this.
  17. SteveDrivingSlowly

Here are the only tips anyone needs from Jackie! But yes you should also ask him for sweater purchasing advice.

18. SteveDrivingSlowly

Nice one mate! Got a lot of the battles I was in with Hayes, Mael and Stimson! Screen time!
    CornfordCaster, Bueller and TakFR like this.
  19. Cooper

Cooper Rookie Gold Member

Hey Mate,
    all good. it was shane shuttleworth who pulled the pin. i watched the replay and i saw you waiting, shame you chucked it in. the lexus should have dominated here. If you decide to do it again, just keep racing. turn 4 was my speciality, turned around in race 2 as well :) gave me good practice at chasing people down. i dont announce "im out", i unload with a heap of expletives in the queens good english (in honour of Steve), directed at specific people, so you know its me :) i agree on the practice vs reward ratio, but i still love it. Stay on the "team" radio next time and follow team orders :)
  20. TomHanks

TomHanks Rookie

Finally found it. A drying track where wet tyres started off optimal but long term were the wrong choice. Sound familiar?

SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.