ACC RaceOnOz ACC [PC] S5 Mid-season Special Event!

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Competizione PC Monday Night' started by SteveDrivingSlowly, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Wally

Wally Team Driver

Good race. Early on I was on Tom Hanks bumper for several laps, and also again in the dying stages of the race, but I couldn't find a way past, except for the second time when he ran wide at the hairpin on old tyres. Mael made a good pass on me at the chicane after I had a loose few corners prior. My only mishap was a spin on the kerbs at the Schumacher esses shortly after Mael passed me.
    krunch, Flukey and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.
  2. TomHanks

TomHanks Rookie

Yea had a few good battles out there. Cost myself about a minute doing stupid stuff through the race.
    My best was forgetting my last pit was only 8 seconds so panicking when he said go go go then turning the limiter off by accident and getting a drive through
    Fun race though
    krunch, Flukey and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.
  3. Mael

Mael Professional

Very happy with the result but what could have been! Too many small mistakes to mention including wasting 4 sec in the last pit stop. But the killer was tyre wear.

I completely underestimated the wear, planned to only change tires on the second stop with around 50 minutes to go. But the tires fell of a cliff after about an hour and then completely through the spcae-time continuum around 1:20 forcing an earlier than planned stop and ruining my plan of having good tires for the last stint. A fact a number of drivers took advantage of in the last 10 minutes :cry: Did enjoy the pass on Wally though, Vantage was nice and quick in straight lines.
    Flukey and krunch like this.
  4. Wally

Wally Team Driver

What pit stop strategies did people use? I just divided the race into 3 equal stints, taking on equal fuel and changing tyres in both stops.
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  5. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

I had a great first two stints, starting out 7th and climbing to 3rd in the first few laps, and then after Frosty had some kind of issue, getting in to second behind Hayes and just hanging in there. My first pit went fantastically well and I came out in front with about 4 seconds of breathing room when Hayes came out behind me. This gap fluctuated up and down for the whole next stint and as I decided to come in for my second pit, was sitting at around 2 seconds - so I was feeling pressure to have a great pit stop.

This is where the entire night fell apart for me! I somehow locked the fronts up on the way into the pits and the car just went straight...into the pit wall...and after I'd reverse and finally gotten into the pits, I found I had 30 seconds of damage to repair. All in all I lost about 40 seconds in that pit stop with the faffing and damage and came out in 8th. I was...quite emotional....at this point and proceeded to drive like an absolute pleb for about 20 minutes, having at least another 4 offs/spins. Finally I pulled my :):):):) together and started a recovery drive of sorts but never really had the pace I had in the first two stints because I think my tyres were ruined from all of the terrible mistakes. Somehow I managed to get back to third position, and I should be very very happy with that because I didn't deserve it at all in the end!

Thanks all for a great race, so awesome to see such a high proportion of drivers finish this very challenging race. And well done of course to Hayes and Bueller on the win and second place!

I did exactly the same mate, 3 x 90L and tyres each time. I feel like it would have been a potentially winning strategy had I not entirely screwed the last stint up, and I could even have taken less fuel I think and perhaps gained a little time.
    krunch likes this.
  6. TomHanks

TomHanks Rookie

I went for 2 stints of 65min, then a 15 minute to finish so only a 5s second pitstop to get fuel just right. Divided it up pretty well into day/night stints. Plus the Macca only needed 105L for each stint
    krunch and Wally like this.
  7. Flukey

Flukey Rookie

For the 991 I ran two stints, first at 90L second with 85L both allowing me to go for over an Hour, enjoying seeing myself in first place for a few laps each time :p. I didn't run the Qualy Map for the car (only once or twice in fights) which I feel had helped my fuel consumption, with my last stint starting with around 27min (from memory?) to go but stupidly underfilled the car by 3-4 laps, ruining any podium chance...(majority of that final stint I run in Map 9 which is the least performing and suitable for fuel saving, progressive accelerator response but feel it wasn't enough)
    krunch and Wally like this.
  8. Wally

Wally Team Driver

I think you'll find that a good pass is due to the awareness and skill of the person being passed in leaving sufficient racing room.
  9. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

I teamed up with Matt Frost (@Cooper) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I didn't have his pace so he qualified and did the first stint of about 40mins. I did a 65min stint which was almost entirely at night and my pace wasn't great. Even so it was looking like enough to give Matt a chance to fight for a podium and even possibly the lead. But then I blew it entering the pits! I got distracted checking that the correct strategy was selected and suddenly found the ice patch that others fell victim to. But I didn't hit the wall. No... I had to compound the error by involving another car! I slid past the start of the pit wall and painfully continued to slide straight back into the final corner to be punted by an innocent driver. Massive apologies to that whoever it was! What a complete ballsup!

As Matt calmly reassured me it was all good - just go around again and then pit (luckily we had fuel and stint time in hand) I imagined him silently shaking his head :cry: . I then further tested his restraint with a slow loop in the micky mouse complex due to worn tyres and some rear damage (and well... just me). Oh dear.

Fortunately pit entry 'take 2' went to plan and Matt took over to wring the bloody neck out that Lexus. He tried valiantly to salvage a podium but to no avail. I had made the task too difficult. He did get close though and 1 more lap would have seen Steve in big trouble!

So 4th it was which is not too bad considering. I have to say it's really good fun doing the team thing. Sometimes it doesn't go well for one of the drivers and that's all part of it. It's a completely different kind of sim race when you do it as a team and that variety is really cool.