G'day from Gold Coast

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Rypien, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Rypien

Rypien New Recruit

PSN ID
    Rypien
    Hi fellas. Will try and keep it short and sweet.

Long time gamer, turning 40 this year which puts me in my prime for games i think ;) Family man with wife, kids, pets, house payments and everything that goes with the average joe lifestyle.

Love most sports played on the planet, but Rugby League and all forms of Motorsports are my main passion.

I've enjoy many different types of games over the years, but these days mainly stick to Racing and FPS games due to work and family commitments eating into my game time. Play both PC and Console, don't really get caught up in all that PC v Console rubbish, i'm a gamer and play anything. Console flame wars are not my thing either.

Games that i'm currently playing include GT6 (PS3), Halo 4 (xBox360), BF4 (xBox1).

If i had to make a small list of games that i rate as all time favorites i'd probably list these (in no particular order) -
    * Baldurs Gate Series
    * Halo Series
    * Gran Turismo Series
    * Forza 3 and 4
    * Wipeout 2097
    * Diablo Series
    * Live For Speed
    * Jonah Lomu Rugby
    * FF7
    (loads more but i'd fill pages)

I'm a lucky man as my wife and both kids (two girls still in primary school) enjoy video games. My brother in law is also an avid gamer, and i've lost count of the number of LAN's i've held at my house over the years (Gran Turismo and Halo mainly). Lucky to have a few mates who live locally and combined with my gaming family its great fun to host the odd LAN. Have not had one for a while due to work being soo busy, but its always in the back of my mind.

Gran Turismo is what has brought me to these forums. Was an old member of the now defunct GTF (one of the first Gran Turismo forums ...... yes there was a huge community before GTPlanet ;) ) and am currently calling TorcTalk (a small aussie GT community with some old school GT players) home. A member of pretty much all of the main GT communities but am not as active as i was years ago and mainly lurk at many these days. Have made loads of good mates over the years thanks to games and Gran Turismo in general. Played an early Japanese NTSC copy of GT1 and have been hooked on the Gran Turismo series since. Played GT1,2,3,4 and all of the Prologues and Concepts to death. GT5 wasn't my cup of tea to be honest and i didn't play it much at all, but GT6 has brough me back into the PD embrace.

Hard for me to commit to any GT Leagues or Series, but i'm always up for the odd spot race and have hosted reasonably sucessful events of my own over the years. My main aim is to simply have fun with the odd race here at RaceOnOz and perhaps at some stage in the future get a few of the TORC lads and have a few fun races. But for now, i'm simply happy to browse the forums from time to time and perhaps join in on the odd GT race. I'm not fast, but i try and race clean and have fun. Been around long enough to know that although competition is important, its a game and we are all in it to have fun.

My current game set up and channel (don't laugh at my gameplay please ....)

Hope to see some of you on the track soon.

PSN - Rypien (sometimes use TORC_Rypien)
    xBox Live - Rypien GT
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    KoAStR and stucar17 like this.
  2. WAC

WAC Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    i moved on..but damn it was fun!
    Well ,well , well...(3 holes in the ground) - longtime no hear! :)
    Was talking to one of the orginal TORC members the other week who said you had resurfaced.
    I've changed PS3's a few times so lost your PSN tag along the way- will add you tonight.
    Heaps of great racing around here and with 60 plus drivers at every level of talent you will get some close competition.
    Good to see you back.
    KoAStR likes this.
  3. carn_the_pies

carn_the_pies Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn
    Welcome Rypien

Good to see you make it over, now we need to get Stonemonkey back on!
    KoAStR likes this.
  4. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Hey Rypien, been a looong time. F3, those were the days. Mate hope all is well, and we'll see you on the track again soon.
    Good to see you're still in love with the rotary engine.
  5. Rypien

Rypien New Recruit

PSN ID
    Rypien
    Cheers for the welcome guys. Recognised quite a few names from other forums and can see that the sheer number of GT players will ensure good grids. Always good to see such a positive place with some good races going. Its a shame that shiftwork kills any hope of me joining in with the main GT leagues, but i'm sure i will be able to dabble in the odd race here and there with some of you blokes.

btw Stonemonkey (aka CrazyHorse) does not play GT anymore if memory serves me correct. Last time i ran with him was the old MNR (Monday Night Racing) with GT5P but i know he did play a fair bit of GT5 well after that. More into iRacing these days i think. Its a shame as he is a great bloke and was always fast even back in the old GT1 and 2 days. He was actually one of the original GTBN members (Gran Turismo By The Numbers) which was the first GT forum formed back in 1998. Had the opporunity to race offline and online with him for many years, and even got to meet him at the GT4 Ballarat LAN. http://www.torctalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=802
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  6. carn_the_pies

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn
    Yeah he competed with us here in season 2 on GT5 then dabbled in iracing with beau and koastr I believe.
    Think he may be in the mines now days?
  7. WAC

PSN ID
    He's been found! alive and well :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
  8. midron18

midron18 Rookie

PSN ID
    midron18
    So Belinda Carlisle turned out to be right.. heaven is a place on earth.. Your bloody room. Makes me jealous!
  9. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Love the LAN party pics, that would of been a great weekend :)
  10. WAC

PSN ID
    I noticed they were drinking fruit juice....probably a wise choice!
    Clevohead likes this.
  11. carn_the_pies

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn
    I remember Clanks raced over here as well, where did he get too?
  12. Rypien

Rypien New Recruit

PSN ID
    Rypien
    Clanks, not too sure mate. Been ages since i had the opportunity to run with him. Had a couple of different PSN names for him, but both have been inactive for a while.

And yes, the old GT4 LAN we had in Victoria was awesome. Pics look pretty dated now, but back then it was the bees knees. There were four kiwis that flew over specifically for the two day event, two of us flew down from QLD, and it was very competitive. I was lucky to finish mid pack (i blame it on me never having used a G25 before then ... had an old blue logitech ay home :rolleyes:). Good to meet guys that you race with online in person finally and many are still good mates. Joe Racer won every race he was in. Still a fast bugger these days.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    Clevohead likes this.