IRACING iRacing General

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by beau261, Sep 11, 2011.

1. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    @beau261 sorry mate I'm gonna have to postpone this till another night, been surprise visited by my neighbor.........again :rolleyes: wonder what he wants now!! o_O if he leaves soon I'll get on, otherwise catch ya maybe tomorrow night?

Cheers
  2. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    No probs mate. Im off now anyway. Getting late for me because im an early starter.
    Catch up another time.
  3. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    If you get rid of your neighbour I might be able to jump on for a bit soon and see if I can lend any useful advice?! :p
  4. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Thanks for the offer KoAStR, but the bugger hung around till about 10pm so didnt think it would be worth the effort, as Im usually starting to nod off by about 11, 11.30, the joys of getting older :confused::p.
    I'll get on iR tonight so if ya on, catch ya then.
  5. hairybear

hairybear Rookie

for myself i just jumped straight into the racing after only 1 or 2 of practices and made the effort to completely ignore my irating and instead concentrate on the safety rating by not trying to be competitive and having a super clean race even if it meant coming last (yeah hard to do when the race head is on) and if i remember correctly when you hit a SR of 4.0 you automatically get a promotion to the next class instead of having to wait till promotion week.
    AJ.Scott and DekGT5mad like this.
  6. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    @hairybear I was thinking of doing just that mate, had some advice up at RD to do time trials then start from pit lane in the races, avoiding the 1st cnr carnage that usually occurs in rookie events, I guess the best way is to just jump in stay out of trouble and get a 4.0SR asap.
    Cheers for the advice guys, much appreciated :D
  7. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Exactly what strategy i've employed,but with the addition of checking & working out how to correctly calibrate my G27 when i first started. There's a thread in the iracing forum that helps with this. I also check what times the front runners are doing & race to my pace,letting the guys that do qually laps early go,& only fighting with guys i can beat.If a person closes a 5 sec gap while you are doing your best,it's better to let them go & follow,learning from themas you do. I'm now finding that i'm closing the gap between me & them,while maintaining my safety rating.:)
    Are there any members that do the prototype & GT series?
    hairybear and AJ.Scott like this.
  8. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Thanks Dek, will definitely keep that in mind this weekend :) ;)
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  9. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    I found the difference the wheel calibration made was incredible,For my G27 these are the settings. min force:14.4 damping: 1 strength 23.2
    The strength & damping are personal preference,but the min force is extremely important. Every wheel has it's own min strength,individual like a fingerprint. In the forum there is a programme in which there is a test that establishes the exact figure to enter.
    In case you don't now,the bigger the damping number,the less accurate the wheel is near the centre with a bigger deadzone.
    hairybear likes this.
  10. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Thanks for that Dek, I have a Fanatec CSW with GT2, will check out the forum for that program, sounds like it will help fine tune my FFB.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  11. hairybear

hairybear Rookie

...and every time you log into iRacing make sure you do your steering calibrations before your first session. I've found on occasion that the settings can get changed a little.
    DekGT5mad and AJ.Scott like this.
  12. hairybear

hairybear Rookie

the time trails SR accumulation is painfully slow AJ. stick to the races if you can!

edit: not sure if you already know but expect to lose a whack of SR when you get your promotion too. it's kind of a reset to make you have to work to get promoted again.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    AJ.Scott likes this.
  13. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    You get reset to 2.5 when promoted
    If you race a 30 min race with no incidents,you can expect about a 0.4 SR boost
    AJ.Scott likes this.
  14. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Okay thanks for the info guys, just out of curiosity any idea how many races it takes to get out of rookie?

Cheers
  15. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Check the calendar for promotion dates, the quickest way though is to get to 4.0,then you get access to the next class anyway,but it varies depending on how you race. It can be difficult depending on how badly you need to run at the front
  16. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Running up front is the least of my concerns, staying clean and finishing is more my aim, let all the other rookies crash N burn while I just cruise on by, well that's the theory anyway :p see what happens on track :D

Cheers
  17. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Mate the best way to approach iRacing is to strive for "quality" and never "sheer quantity", meaning, don't go into races un-prepared. Do the practice, Do your very best Qualifying run, and THEN go racing.

The worst mindset in iRacing is "I'm just here for Safety Rating"!

Over cautious driving causes accidents. Your cleanest racing will happen when your running alongside similar paced guys.

Good luck!
    DekGT5mad, AJ.Scott and KoAStR like this.
  18. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Mate don't get me wrong, I fully intend to make passes and challenge for every spot I can, I don't intend to sit back, I'm there to race and race I will :)
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  19. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Yeh,the point i was making was that if you drive like in the GT6 carreer races,you'll end up with your rookie licence down to 0.01! lol
    AJ.Scott likes this.
  20. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Reckless isn't part of my driver curriculum, well not on PC Race Sims anyway ;);):D
    DekGT5mad likes this.