GT5 reflections

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by stucar17, Nov 27, 2013.

1. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Well, the time is almost here that we put up the white flag on GT5.

Thought i would start a thread so we can reflect on what a lot of us have spent a hell of a lot of time doing, where we have built a lot of friendships, rivalries, had some fantastic races and some downers !

We've had a hell of a lot of drivers come through the 13 series. Guys like Tek, Disturboed, Cyber, Anon, Gary (and others....sorry guys) who have been here since the early days and continue to be the rocks that this community has been built.

The aliens like Warrior and Musta, Beau, Koaster, Jezza and stonemonkey have terrorized the division 1 ranks and driven others in all divisions to bigger and better things. Guys like Zampli, Chev, Aussie and others who, have or had, risen through to become very fast and competitive in the fastest division.

For me there are so many memories, and great seasons. To finish runner up in div 2 four times has been a killer, being stuck on the grid at spa with the black screen of death while Bonus and Neishy disappeared down the road was heartbreaking after such a great season....

There have been some fascinating individual battles as well, Warrior and Musta at the moment, Enforcer and Chev spent a bit of time trying not to kill each other, and i remember having some great championship battles with Tek in the div 3 days, Bonus and Neishy in season 5, Anon and Tek in season 6 and finally in season 8 with Zamps and Dougz, never quite getting over the line for the win :(

Here's hoping that GT6 gives us as much enjoyment as GT5 has, and we continue to grow the relationships that make our community so great. :)

Stu
  2. WAC

WAC Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    i moved on..but damn it was fun!
    I do regret not having stuck around in the earlier days - i can blame a 'hot head' & iracing for that.
    The racing here is so enjoyable that i don't see myself going anywhere else for the forseeable future...rock on with ya bad self ROOZ!!
    DekGT5mad, Ad2mny, Mustafur and 2 others like this.
  3. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Played the crap out of prologue, and for a long time was soooo sick of seeing Fuji that I pretty much refused to race there for the longest time. Then gt5 came out and I was really impressed with the game, the graphics seemed to have jumped up another notch from prologue, and the A + Bspec racing kept me entertained for a long time. A late starter to the online racing world, having only seriously gotten into it 2-3 years ago, the options vastly multiplied, and my skill level improved immensely. I joined 1 guy who tried to set up a type of racing group (PiiNapleJuiiCe) with regular organised races and rules and ladders and whatnot but it only lasted 4 races but awesome races they were and got my interest piked and looking for more. However, I could not find anything similar, and was left knowing what could be but was not. I must say, GT5 was really starting to become stale for me, crap lobbies, nearly all the good races done A-spec wise, and the AI was no match for my abilities. Then along came Stu and Aussie and a few others in a randomly joined lobby. Got a few messages saying where to go and the rest is history. Member for coming up on 12 months now, started in Div4 Season 10 with a couple of new members (emmo46 and S_CLOSE) who have managed to stay in the same class of racing until Serge really started to shine Season 12 and left us for Division 1 Season 13. Had some awesome racing here, made some new friends, started doing lengthy reports on my Division thread and am now in charge of editing and posting the official news reports for the divisions. Getting plagued with connection issues as gt5 draws to a close, but hoping I can see off the final official league race with a podium or at least a good battle and NO DSC's. I look forward to my racing every Sunday night and (shamefully I know) pretty much plan my schedule so I can make sure to be here for that at least. Lately I've been doing a few midweek events but the missus hasn't been too impressed with the lack of attention she has been getting lol. Looking forward to some new tracks and getting my head around the improved (new?) physics engine and plenty more of that awesome racing fix that keeps me coming back.

GT5, you were awesome.
  4. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    For the past 2 years i have just been joining random lobbies and doing regular racing with mostly with the same people such as Divecable, rotorsplox, savior33, Grinderman, redeemer in Chevcamaro's lobbies(until he banned me accusing me of being a cheater).

It really improved my race craft and speed as when i first started GT5 i was hopeless, like no point even joined a league as i would be lapped constantly hopeless and I would ram people to pass(lol), I started getting better then at the end of 2012 I started using a wheel, it was set up for my PC gaming and i wasn't able to get it for PS3 due to the lack of table to put it on.

I managed to be quite fast right away(this would be down to the fact i was already a regular in Rfactor and LFS leagues and raced regularly on Iracing), i would say it took me about a month before I was quicker with the wheel, and eventually there was less and less people that i could have a competitive race with as I was improving quite rapidly and most of the people i used to race where well quite a bit slower.

Thats when i started looking for racing leagues and after about 3 months I found ROOZ. I was pretty confident i would do well however i didn't know anyone in the entire community apart from N64 who i thought was pretty fast when I raced him and was shocked to see he was in Div 2 at the time.

That kinda had me worried I would be back pack when I joined Division 1, first race probably the most difficult of the season at Monza in the wet, i had about 20 mins practice and jumped in and went quite well, although at the time i wasn't very confident in the wet but I managed to get a 3rd(although I wasn't 3rd fastest), the next race I practiced religiously and manged to be right up the front hounding Warrior I screwed my strategy which made me come 2nd but it was good, i finally found somewhere where i could really improve and test my self against the best.

I've noticed how much i've improved since i came, most of the people i mentioned i used to race with were faster then me and now I have the pace to beat pretty much all of them, savior was leagues ahead of me at the start of the year and now I feel im at worst equal with him so thats a huge improvement, of course warrior is still much faster but i mean apart from dan holland(who hasn't been on for nearly 6 months now) he is the fastest Aussie so im very happy with my progress, and im very doubtful it wouldn't of happened if i didn't join ROOZ.
  5. disturboed

disturboed Damian Hall Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    disturboed
    I've always played GT. Right from the time I rented Gran Turismo 1 on the PS1 and kept it for a week overdue! LOL. It was just amazing to me. From that point I went from version to version and of course picking up my copy of GT5 on launch day.

I had dabbled in online racing before, mainly on Live For Speed on PC. I honed some good techniques and skills there. But GT5 was my first real go at online console racing. And when the GT5 thread on Whirlpool had a suggestion of forming a league I though to myself, "Welp, why the hell not?"

I remember submitting my qualifying time and it placed me in Division 3 out of 6. The very first race was at High Speed Ring in the Audi. I placed 3rd. And thereon started 13 seasons of racing goodness. There have been some lows (bloody network!!) and lots of highs, and I am sure GT6 will bring on some plenty more! Hopefully more highs than lows!
  6. DarkAce

DarkAce Geoff Vincent

PSN ID
    darkace_123
    Well guys, I'm still a baby when it comes to league racing only 2 seasons in,(12 and 13). Thoroughly enjoyed both even if I am at the back of the pack and being lapped by those at the front:oops:. In season 12 found the only guy I could manage to challenge was clevo who dropped out for season 13 :oops::oops: But now I found that in some races Haze has been in my sights:). Can only put it down to practice and watching what you faster ones are doing with regards to cornering. (watching lots of replays with the telemetry screen on).o_O:confused:. Now I am learning what the brake bias actually does and also the effects of traction control.:eek: Maybe one day I will actually be competitive. Thanks for the memories. Reading the other posts on this thread it is interesting to see that there were once 6 divisions in the early days. Where is every one?
  7. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Those quicker than me had to be dealt with Ace, my sympathies go out to their families. With Chopper gone, a lot of guys can rest easy again, maybe...

Got to tell you if I think about GT5, it's hard not to remember the glitching, DC's, lag, permamod's, standard cars, reverse tuning, daft oil change/engine run-in system, and lack of Aussie cars and tracks. It's hard to forgive it all those failings, but I've been competing in and running events for this game since it came out in November 2010.

I remember a heap of us from OZFM putting Forza 3 aside for a while and trying out GT5. From that OZGT was (still)born, but with the majority heading back to Forza and OZGT dying, Stumbles dragged me kicking and screaming into ROOZ. So when I reflect on GT5, I think of this little community. An eclectic collection of invisible car enthusiasts who's banter fills this forum and keeps me looking forward to the next race.

So, an imperfect game, but an awesome community.
    DekGT5mad, Stumbles, stucar17 and 5 others like this.
  8. DarkAce

DarkAce Geoff Vincent

PSN ID
    darkace_123
    Just a side note.......with 2 seasons under my belt, I can say I have never had a connection/disconnection issue with GT5. (happy for me to say but ,,,,,sad for all you guys going through the trauma and tantrums of ongoing issues. If the issue was with the game would not all of us have some issues? ) Not sure if I can warrant the expenditure of another racing game at this stage. but maybe down the track or on another forum site I will race you guys again.....that said I have signed up for the NASCAR series 3.......what have I done.:eek:
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  9. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Am sure we will have something cracking on GT5 for a "little" while if your not sure about GT6.

I will have a chat to santa after i run a few laps next week and see if its worth putting on your xmas list.
    Bathurst surely is enough incentive to be thinking about it.......plus all us awesome members !!!!
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  10. carn_the_pies

carn_the_pies Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn
    Good thread Stu.

Even though I havent played much anymore I can safely say that this game took much of my life for the first 12 months and a bit.
    The memories of being heavily involved in setting up what we have here at ROOZ today are still strong, late nights coming up with ideas and I can still remember the day I posted up the season 1 division list on WHIRLPOOL..there was so much excitement and I knew we had something good.
    Getting the call from Justin that he wanted a website and getting everyone across to here was another sticking point.
    In terms of the actual game , season 2 in the Supra will always be one of my favourite online games periods ever, great guys, great car and I would spend all week practicing with guys like JC, koastr, beau..I can stil remember following Koastr around Trial mountain and copying his lines for the race which got me within an inch of taking first place just behind Neishy (who was much quicker than me)

Just the little things like that, the chats with the boys during the week leading into races as well, great fun.

Great game, great times.

I'll miss you GT5.
  11. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    GT5 has been a bit of a pioneer in my eyes. Only because it is the first game I've really been into online racing with.
    I remember Season 1 in THAT Audi...great fun in a frustrating car! Season 2 in the Supra was fun...except Monza in the wet with a controller hahahaha, horrible!
    Some real talents around showing just what can be done in GT5...JC, Beau, Koastr, Musta, Warrior, Anon...some quick dudes around that set the benchmark REALLY high.
    I've had some good runs in the leagues, some good wins and some issues with DSC etc. I keep coming back though because there is no substitute for clean, fair and fun online racing. To be honest, my GT5 experience would have ended ages ago if it wasn't for GTLOZ/ROOZ. The blokes here are always keen for good racing, everyone is willing to help out with things and it's just really good to see and be a part of.

Looking forward to GT6 (and GT7 on PS4) but will always have fond memories of GT5. It really is the best GT title yet and is still the benchmark in console racing games in my opinion.
    DekGT5mad, Stumbles, DarkAce and 2 others like this.
  12. Barra333

Barra333 Rookie

PSN ID
    barra333
    Definitely a good couple of years worth of racing for me. Started off in division 4 in season 2 after a PSN message out of the blue from carn_the_pies. Never having raced against anyone but complete randoms in open lobbies, I was bloody nervous going into the first race. From memory, I qualified well, had an off, worked my way through the field and won on threadbare tyres from a rapidly closing SEIDO.
    From there on, we had some amazing wheel to wheel battles, peaking with the epic enduro at the ring, where he won by 0.5sec in the pitch black after an hour of not being separated by more than a few seconds!
    Subsequent seasons saw some good, hard racing with the likes of Stu, Aussie, Veno, Neishy, Anon and others I have definitely forgotten.
    It is amazing that through all of the races I participated in, I can only think of one instance where I was unfairly punted. Sure, there was bumping which was hard, but fair, and lag, which had me wanting to throw my DS3 out the window for most of one season.

I am a little sad that I can no longer race with you lads, but on the balance of it, I think I will stick with the travel opportunities that come with my job, and living in the Netherlands (I am posting this from about 800km directly north of the capital of French Guiana, and on Monday, I was 1600km from any landmass!).

I hope to catch you on track at some point in GT6, even if it isn't a league race. Once I get off this bloody boat.
    DekGT5mad, stucar17 and Anon666 like this.
  13. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

Early in GT5 I was doing random American leagues and racing (6am starts on Sunday in winter is fkn cold) so I remember t he day I got sick of it and public rooms so I did a Google search for Aussie race leagues and this place showed up. From that point n I was hooked. Sadly, GT5 just got much of the same so. I decided. To rest from it over the past couple of months, hoping the itch comes back in GT6 and happily I think it has with the release impending!

As for racing... Rivalries with anon in D3 and butters in D4, coming in to the league in D2 when I should not have been (damn offline submissions), NASCAR series, a couple of my own series (rain fail @ Spa), drunk driving with the likes of Aussie, many a online friend made (I think)? And the last memory is the massive amount of work that everyone has put in to running of the series'. Grats to you all for the effort put in!!!

Many fun times (and some not so much) and hope to get back in to them again :)
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    DekGT5mad, Clevohead and stucar17 like this.
  14. bjh1012

bjh1012 Bruce Hale Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    bjh1012
    Sorry guys but could not go on any longer. first of all thanks to all that have helped me out for the last 7 or 8 mounts
    all good friends and hope to get over to met as many of you guys as i can some time but apart from Anon do not
    hold your breath . lol got some nice Romney girls in lam & they come with velcro gloves .
    anyhow back to the race had good start but not wanting to shunt any one off at the first conner i braked
    & got fu-- up a-- do not know who maybe hr can shed some light on the subject gt 6 is going to be a blast
    spun 3 times i can remember trying to get past darace but maybe my internet from then on i fu==
    up
    CHEERS BJ
    PS ANON just a joke santa have a good xmas
    stucar17 and DekGT5mad like this.
  15. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    this was me when i did race department leagues, Winter racing at 5am no thanks!
    DekGT5mad and bjh1012 like this.
  16. bjh1012

bjh1012 Bruce Hale Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    bjh1012
    Well said Mustafur i use to help my brother out at the thunderdome in melbourne all week
    panel beeting and on race night change 3 head gaskets 1 for each race apart from some nice eye
    candy but all as thick as to short planks thats y i like to sit in my cockpit & do what i like
    and so far dose not get much better then this:D:D:D:D:D
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  17. Aza2672

Aza2672 Aron Baker Gold Member

PSN ID
    AB_Saints_25 (Formerly Aza2672)
    I know I haven't been around for a long time fellas but I thought a couple of you guys would've given me a mention but alas out of sight out of mind I had 3 years of enjoyment on this game & battles with a number of you too many to mention so as to not offend anybody I just say I love yous all just having a few issues with real life at the moment that I need to sort like a house to live in for starters can't really set up the TV, PS3 & Steering wheel in the back of my car or the street corner I find to sleep for the night, I'm not really homeless back at my parents house though sometimes I think it would be easier being homeless though instead of living there but I don't wanna put you all on a downer as soon as I have a new place I'll be back online and racing again which I can't wait for. I'll keep in touch on here with all you guys so I'll catch you all soon and have some great racing guys
  18. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

Holy thread revival aza. Good to see you still with us mate.

You just seemed to disappear so good to hear you are still with us mate :)
  19. Aza2672

Aza2672 Aron Baker Gold Member

PSN ID
    AB_Saints_25 (Formerly Aza2672)
    Yeah still kicking mate
  20. carn_the_pies

carn_the_pies Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn
    Gday Aza
    Good to se you here again mate, hope things pick up real soon for you.