IRACING iRacing General

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by beau261, Sep 11, 2011.

1. aussie_man21

aussie_man21 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    Thats good point Timmo, PS3 games are are pricey to say none the less..
  2. basilenco

basilenco Rookie

Well seeing as that 50% pff deal has come up I'm going to give it another go and see what happens I enjoyed the racing and Im wondering how it feels now with all the new tire models.
  3. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Basically it shouldn't cost you much more than it would to buy a new release title on PS3 (or special edition perhaps)

If you want to save money you could just buy every second track for the series, which lets you focus on practise for each one a week longer.

Sub - $12 for 3 months deal
    v8FSC - $11
    6 - tracks at $11 - 15 each = $70 - $90
    ------------------------------------------------
    Total: $93 - $113
    Less 20% on content discount for purchasing >6 items at once
    Total: $76 - 93

Or $132 - $165 (after discount) if you get all 12 tracks for the v8 season - given that it's part way through S2 already you probably wouldn't be looking at spending this much now. There's also a 15% discount for buying 3 items of content at once, so you can gradually top up your content as you need it.

I've never paid more than $50 for a years sub so far. Just wait for the deals. Recently there was a deal effectively giving you an additional 25% off content too (buy $100 credits for $75).
  4. Timmo_821

Timmo_821 TJ

My suggestion is that you start with the basic content first, learn the rookie cars/tracks and above all how the sim works. Keeping in mind that you need to progress to the V8SC which is only available to C class licence, i believe.

Sure you can take advantage of the mid season promotion, however this will still be a matter of weeks before you can run in the V8SC (unless in a hosted session, the other guys might be better at explaining the format of V8SC series as i dont run in that series).

Please note that I'm not trying to discourage you at all, I'm just letting you know that you wont need to spend the $$$ upfront to race in the V8SC.

And Koastr is right, buy content in "bulk" so that you can save even more of your cash.

Hope to see you on the iTarmac soon!
  5. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Yea good point Timmo... you will surely need another car to see you through your D class license to graduate to the C class for the V8SC.

But yea try not to be discouraged. Bear in mind you are getting so much more than just the sim and some DLC for your dollars. Practise session, qualifying, race session, and ALL your stats from each are managed for you in a streamlined service.

The sim is regularly upgraded and there's a huge community aspect with regular iRacing announcements on the 'dashboard' and a forum in the back end where you can pick up setups, join unofficial hosted events etc. Not to mention that it's hands down the most superior simulation engine on the retail market IMO, an opinion shared by many others.

All this stuff you would normally have to do externally such as we do here for GT5. With iRacing, organised racing and stats tracking is all part of the service.
  6. basilenco

basilenco Rookie

What cars do you guys run in? What would be the next best progression after the mx5?
  7. Timmo_821

Timmo_821 TJ

The Mustang or the Skip Barber. You can use the MX5 in a multiclass series also.

My cars of choice are the Radical SR8 and the Riley Prototype.
  8. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    The Mustang will be a nice progression from the MX-5, but also good practise for the V8SC, especially now all those cars are on the NTM. Both are heavy sedans that take a bit to get turned in. And although the Mustang probably has less overall grip, it's about half the BHP so is much more forgiving when you're getting back on the throttle.
  9. basilenco

basilenco Rookie

Thanks guys had a bit of a practice with the mx5 and it feels so different to last time. Just seems to turn in alot better and can actually control the car if it gets into a slide. I really struggled with that last time I played. Enjoying it again so far.
  10. M1K1_D

M1K1_D Miki D

Just renewed for 2 years. Now all I have to do is get some damn time to myself. Away from the wife, kids and work......:D
  11. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Haha I know.... I managed one practise session this week, and it looks like that might be all I'm gonna fit in! (and there's no kids, well no human kids, in my equation yet :/ )

You're spot on with the improved turn in with MX-5 on the NNTM there bascillico. iRacing gets more enjoyable with each build update IMO.
  12. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Had a great (very late) tuning session with Koaster last night, and we ended up with a pretty good set. I only purchased the track last night and getting fairly good times for me already. Really enjoy the practice session a lot more when you are trying to tune the car, rather than running a set thats done and you just running laps.

With the competition being so competitive and all teams having input from a lot of guys, I just dont think its fair to ask the top teams to share their sets.
    I know Madison said he would help us out, but I dont feel comfortable asking for a set. With their sets being in so much demand and a lot of time gone into making them from various team members, I can respect that they would like to see results and you only get that if you know its only your guys running them.

I shared my set last week with a guy whos usually my pace and was having trouble, he ended up nearly beating my time in his first practice session on it and he was over a second and a half off it before. Satisfying knowing you made a set that works for others too.
    Still happy to get some tips every now and then Mad if I'm having trouble taming a set by the end of hte week, "What roll centre, watts link, tire pressure you running this week, what did you guys do to tighten up the back and still get turn" that sort of thing. But really enjoying the learning of tuning and going to stick at it and as I said before it makes the early week sessions more interesting (but long nights lol). Im sure their will be a track that stumps me but sure their will be some fun finding the solution, and help if by weeks end I cant.

All you rooz Iracers should jump in a practice session, even if not intending to race its fun doing some pit partying and a lot more fun with a good setup, a lot like our practice for race session on GT5.
    Miki, had me first run in the Supra seat last night, just as well it was comfy, I didnt climb out of it till midnight.
  13. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Yea that was good Bones.. like you I've not run any laps at Infineon [Cup] before Tuesday, but was really enjoying it in the V8SC..

I agree with you're sentiments regarding sets - It's pretty rewarding to generate some decent times with our own set development, a nice team effort! :D

- But it's also great if near the end of the week you just want to turn some laps, to get a tried and tested set just to satisfy a need for speed!
  14. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    I also can't help but wonder how much extra time I *might* be able to find on a TTR set....as does everyone I suppose, hence the points above.

But practise makes perfect and I think we're getting a pretty good grip on setting this beast up now.... a big help that TTR have let us fiddle around with their sets before though to see what works on other circuits of course. :D

Not to mention that it's not all about sets... Mad seems to be able to drive the wheels off most anything even with sets I am loosing time on.
  15. Mad94d

Mad94d Madison Down

PSN ID
    mad94d
    Haha yeah we're struggling to get the setup to feel "comfortable" this round. The first 2 rounds the car felt perfect but this week it's a real struggle.

Tough track too infineon, the bumps and constant turning means the rear tyres cop huge load. So it's a real hard one to setup for.

If you want my setup give me a yell, i'll happily send it. Interestingly it's based off Wayne Tolley's Watkins setup which Sam McLeod edited and then I edited it even further. So it's done the rounds!
  16. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Cheers for that Mad.

Shaved a tenth off after a few laps... will hopefully see a bit more with some extra practise, but good to know we weren't too far off the mark with our set.

I'm definitely enjoying that 'tough track' aspect. Will hopefully get a race in tonight or tomorrow sometime.
  17. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Yer Thanks heaps Mad, didn't want to shout out to you in that room (or try the private message thing lol), few people watched your qualifying and all wanted your set. I got a tenth on my best lap after a few laps and took 2 tenths off my qualifying time. Just did a race with it, added fuel is all i did and it was better than our set up mid mid race, our sets rear was good for first 8 laps or so but then turned to ice, yours seemed to be pretty much the same all race. Kept up with David Besnard for a while, he was saving fuel, could have told him you don't need to, but, I was keeping up with David Besnard.
    Done a bit of set swapping with Sam, he does a good job with those subtle changes and has made some of my sets a lot better, he's a local Mechanic and knows his stuff with race tunes.
    Any how great work on getting those 114's and look froward to watching this weeks race, just got to get out front and make no mistakes at Infinion and you got it, reel hard to pass here.
  18. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Woo did a Sunday night V8SC race 6.45pm session eastern time (4.45pm for me)

Quali'd with a 1.15.7 on mad's V1 set (not the others we played with Mad).. Think I adjusted BB forward 1 or 2 clicks.
    I'll be damned though, test session just before the race.. full tank of fuel.... 1.15.6x!! And almost equaled my quali in warm up!

The car got a bit slidey through the race but I had ALOT of pressure with 2 guys under my wing 0.3 - 1.0s for 20 odd laps, and still felt reasonably well balanced.

Very pleased, snagged 3rd after starting 7th on the grid (#5 car), and only my 3rd race in the V8SC.. the 1st where fuel saving wasn't required.
    Race Result
  19. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Well done Koaster, did you drop the tire pressure for the race? I just tried it doing 8 to 10 laps and found I had higher pressures and hotter tires by dropping them 1 click. Tire pressure's may be right already for this set for race set up or i drove different and heated them up, car seemed stable on lower pressure just hotter & higher pressure.
    Doing early race tonight then watching the main race, got the flue so going to struggle, got a 116.4 in Qual and 116.7 in race set up.
  20. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    thanks mate... Nah I forgot to drop tyre pressure... probably would have helped. Also forgot to check temps and wear etc. after the race.. was too eager to get into the replay.

Times are coming along nicely there Bones.. good luck tonight ;)