ACC ACC Season 2 Monday's rnd 7 Zandvoort 2x30 minute Sprints

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by marty, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Coanda

Coanda Team Driver

GT-71CKL likes this.
  2. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

R1: Tried to keep with the top 5, though coming up towards the stops, they were beginning to stretch me a little. Managed to get @Brad Jesson in the stops, and he continued to chase me down after the stops but ran out of laps and I held onto 4th.

R2: Once again, just tried to hold onto the pace of top 5, @marty had an off, so I got to 4th and even pipped @andyo450 in the stops, however I adjusted the psi's *just* 0.1 down on the left and up on the right which turned the Lambo into an understeery bath tub. I went off and Andy sailed on by. I was at the extremes of the setup in a few areas and turns out that psi tenths matter a LOT in this range. @Godzilla pulled off a daring but excellent pass in the late stages, relegating me to 6th.
    Coanda likes this.
  3. tezpez85

Nah, I was right behind you in the Silverstone one and you had a fair bit of space. You should have backed out. I think everyone can see you have speed, but these incidents can give you a reputation.
    Frostwa and Coanda like this.
  4. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

I had an awesome couple of races here,
    Q1, not the best lap and with the amount of fast guys here it left me P13, car didn't have great quali pace so meh
    R1, got a good start and jumped @Rolz then spent the first half trying to keep him behind and get past Vettger in the 488, decided to pit as early as possible to get out of the train and hopefully get a jump, worked perfectly with a good stop for a change. Second half was spent desperately trying to keep @Coanda behind who looked to have more pace, just managed to hold it. P13 to P7 in this grid, cant complain.

Q2, about the same as Q1, P11.
    R2, great start again, managed to drive around Sparksman and Medved at T1, looked to be a bit of a roadblock on the inside while the outside was all free, happy days :) From there was chasing J de Jesus in another Lambo, pace was similar so not much chance of a pass, didn't think I was losing any time and had clear track after he pitted so I stayed out as long as possible in this race, absolutely nailed the pit stop again and jumped a few places. Found myself behind @tezpez85 in the other Lambo, mine felt much better then his by the looks of it at this point but a hard track to pass, was some pretty epic few laps of racing there which finally went my way a few laps to the end. P11 to P5, very happy here
    tezpez85, Jeremy Talbot and Coanda like this.
  5. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

@marty I totally agree on going with the more restricted start procedure. At the end of the day none of us are professionals at rolling starts and in the real world they are heavily scrutinised by race directors and stewards, which is just not possible to replicate in our league. I don't blame anyone for struggling to find the right balance between fairness and taking an opportunity. I much prefer standing starts but sadly this category doesn't do that.

Last night's round didn't go great for me but I enjoyed it all the same.

My Q1 was very ordinary and I was only able to get a couple of fliers in - which weren't really fliers at all :p. Started P18

In R1 I made a decent start and mostly avoided trouble although sorry to @Cooper for the T1 contact. In all the jostling I bounced off that ridiculous inside curb a little which was just enough to tap you. A few cars had incidents in front so I gained a few spots in the first few laps. I felt I was in a good position before the stops but a sloppy pitstop saw me drop behind about 3 of the cars I'd been battling with. I think my pressures were not quite right in that second stint as Ii didn't quite have the pace I needed and dropped a couple more spots. I finished where I started in P18

Q2 was better and even with a bad final corner losing me 3 or more tenths I managed a PB lap and grabbed P13 (could have been top 10 dammit).

R2 My getaway was good but I ended up crimping @Frostwa as we approached the T1 apex (sorry). Strangely I didn't see him in my mirrors or my radar app but felt a bump as we approached the apex and realised he was up beside me in the pit exit blend zone (there might be some sort of bug with Zandvoort's pit exit as cars seem to disappear in the exit area). I straightened to give room but being surrounded by cars I only had a line to the apex. Frostwa tried to back out but a slight tap popped my tail into the path of an innocent Vettiger. He tapped my rear which actually straightened me up but it pushed him wide causing him to tap the rear of an innocent Lattanzio causing him to unfortunately spin and fall to the back of the field. Really sorry to all involved as it's annoying to have damage or fall to the back at the start of a race. It was such a small incident that chain reacted into a problem for others.

After that I enjoyed a fantastic battle with a bunch of cars that lasted until the pitstop. The pack included Sparksman, Medved, myself, Vettiger and Coander. We all had similar pace and it was just a really cool battle. Unfortunately I botched my pitstop by speeding on entry then missing my marks. The stop-and-go of 30 seconds is a race killer so I really don't want to get that penalty again!

After serving the penalty I was way down the order. I had a nice battle with Freeland which was punctuated with inconvenient blue flag drivers interfering with our battle :p but it evened out for both of us until I took advantage of one of those blue flags to make a move into the tight hairpin. I got right up alongside but unfortunately as we got to the apex he turned across my front and spun which was a shame. If he'd just left some space he'd have had the inside for the next left and might have kept the position. I don't like to have contact so I'm sorry it ended that way. I carried on to finish 21st.

Looking forward to next week.
    tezpez85, Jeremy Talbot and nanlatt like this.
  6. AeroDynamicMilk

AeroDynamicMilk Rookie

After this week's round, it's safe to say I'm not a big fan of Zandvoort.

R1: Had a decent start, made up some places in the first sector and was running at my usual spot. At some point I got some damage to my front suspension, I don't remember how or when, but it was very minimal and was costing me no time so by the time the pit window opened, I tried to turn off repairs but the game simply wouldn't let me so I lost 12 seconds in the pits which isn't ideal, but I kept head down got across the line in p22 which is the usual so not too fussed.

R2: A nightmare. A nightmare qualy meant I had to start at the back. Then got caught up in an incident on the first lap which gave me rear damage but I wasn't too fussed bout that one as it wasn't major damage and I could easily keep going and so I did. But pit window opens and the same issue where I couldn't disable repairs and lost 12 seconds again, then ran wide on the exit of turn 3 and got caught on the grass where you lose 100% control of your car and jesus takes the wheel. Jesus wasn't happy with me so I hit the wall and had severe damage, which lsot me 50 seconds in the pits. Then I think I took a lightly different line going into the second sector at the first high speed right hander and got a tiny bit of air on the entry (guessing I hit a bump) and sent me into the gravel. Eventually parked it up after getting more damage and being a few laps down with no chance of gaining positions.
    Coanda and Jeremy Talbot like this.
  7. Daniel Benefield

Daniel Benefield New Recruit

Okay, Bathurst I was more than well alongside you to the point that my nose was just about in line with your nose at the turn in point. Silverstone I wasn't making an excuse because it is my fault but there's not much I could have done to aviod the incident.
  8. Coanda

Coanda Team Driver

removed
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2020
  9. Coanda

Coanda Team Driver

removed
  10. Coanda

Coanda Team Driver

removed.
  11. marty

marty AC Server Legend

I had to remove those posts @Coanda we want to keep this forum and series friendly, some discussion on incidents is ok but not when it goes into personal attacks. We can all learn from incidents if the discussion is kept at a friendly level, any in race disputes can be made with the protests and disputes section.

The start procedure issues will be dealt with, especially with so many new guys joining and it being mostly a gentleman's agreement type thing to try keep it fair with no exact guidelines other then speed. There really werent any rules regarding general positioning but we will make it clearer from the next round. With the automated sequence it will help the new guys be able to understand what's going on better if they have already used the Kunos starts before.

Some may get penalties but nothing we can do and driver throughs will need to be served as nobody is doing a live stewards job to clear these on track. This league is purely for fun and clean friendly racing, people running it also want to be able to race. As numbers get larger it makes things a bit trickier to keep an eye on, issues can be addressed as needed and feel free to keep discussing anything in a civil manner please. ;)
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
  12. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Rookie

I haven't used the kunos start procedure before, are the drive through penalties kind of random and buggy or are they for not being in position and/or speeding?
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
  13. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

I'm a little lost why manual start is so hard? Guy on pole controls the train, guy in p2 sits next to him, everyone else keep behind the car that's directly in front of them (end of formation lap), they don't need to worry what the guy next to them is doing, that's his problem. Unless you are on the front row, stay behind the car in front, the end.
  14. marty

marty AC Server Legend

I dont think you want cars to be riding right up under the car ahead a car length or 2 back is better and all going at no faster then the maximum speed but the pole car should set that pace on the main straight before the green. All lanes should be side by side but if some are going over the speed limit or too close to cars ahead thats not going to happen. Going before the green flag and speeding are the 2 main things that seem to need a system to be patrolled.

In a short formation its a bit awkward as it may start you in the left lane then move you to the right lane if cars ahead don't start the race. Full formation shouldnt be an issue as its single file then it will tell you to go left or right lane. It can give a penalty if your not far enough left or right during the start and also one for speeding or going before the green.

On Wednesdays with the more awkward short start formation I dont think anyone has got a penalty yet, this wednesday we will test this in full formation starts. But its a long lap at Suzuka and 3 full formation starts for 3 15 minute races may be spending more time doing pace laps then race laps.
    Jeremy Talbot and tezpez85 like this.
  15. Coanda

Coanda Team Driver

@marty - No worries Marty I understand.. Sorry to waste your time.. :cool:
    marty likes this.
  16. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

With the Kunos system I have seen where someone has accelerated before the start then hit the breaks to slow back down and has now gotten that gap advantage as others cant respond for fear of penalty, can happen easily just before the start.

My thoughts on formation lap is this:

- No more then 120KM/h during the lap from the pace setter
    - Weaving allowed in single file only
    - No excessive acceleration then sudden breaking - This I see a lot, just asking for trouble here, you want to heat the tires, weave in double file (don't do a Grosjean, we will all laugh if you do), you want to heat the brakes, ride the brake pedal a bit.
    - 80KM/h set by pace setter in double file before the green
    - Drivers to stay behind the car in front of them
    - And of course it shouldn't need to be said, DO NOT DRIVE IN TO THE GUY IN FRONT OF YOU, if he isn't accelerating and there's nowhere for you to go then you shouldn't be either
    Kcender87 likes this.
  17. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Here’s some hot Lambo on Lambo action from race two for those in to that sort of thing...
    tezpez85, marty and Jeremy Talbot like this.
  18. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Even if we were to use the Kunos system and someone is trying to exploit it in that way then they will be penalized. If your the lead car and have made a significant gap to the field and not reasonably lined up to the car beside you then you should slow down. If this means you may be still slowing as it goes green then that's bad luck as you shouldn't have speeded earlier. ;)

Even in a random public server if I am on the front row and show clearly I am not trying to gain an advantage the rest of the field will generally behave. Its those few that try to game the starts that make a mess of the procedure, its not hard to do a fair start really.

A general rule is the pace setter is responsible for a fair start, if they are trying to game this then a time penalty post race should be added. A fair start is everyone doing their best to ensure its fair for everyone and anyone trying to exploit it should be penalized through the field. From the next round no matter what procedure will be in place be it Kunos or full manual, anyone trying to game or exploit this will get a time penalty of 30 seconds.

With drivers to stay behind the car in front of them, having the full field bunched up too close is just asking for trouble. There would need to be a min distance of say 2 car lengths.

With Speed how is this enforced? replays dont show the green flag but is someone going to spend an hour after each race to check everyone in the field if they stayed under the speed limit.
  19. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Speed is always controlled by the car in front of you isn’t it? Not going to go faster then them...
    So ultimately by the lead car
  20. tezpez85

It's a sexy rear end, I don't care what @andyo450 says. Great battle, great pass!

Felt like
    [​IMG]