ACC ACC Season 2 Monday's rnd 8 Suzuka 2hr Intercontinental GT Challenge

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by marty, May 5, 2020.

1. Flamebadger

Flamebadger ACC Server Legend

So my partner came down with flu like symptoms over the weekend and went to get tested for Covid today. As such in the race tonight, remember your social distancing, no one within 2m of my Honda, thanks :D
    nanlatt likes this.
  2. marty

marty AC Server Legend

The test below is more reliable then a covid test, if you want your car to have a stupid mask on it. We can simulate this by increasing the air intake restrictor for your Jazz. :p
    [​IMG]
  3. Bueller

Bueller Rookie

"Just get out of the way"...so I did
    krunch likes this.
  4. Sparksy84

Sparksy84 Rookie

Really sorry for the tap Coanda, was too focused on the guys on our left and missed the brake point. I feel pretty awful about continuing your streak of poor luck and misjudgment.
    In the middle of trying a 2 stop and putting in really fast laps my internet decided that it didn't want to work and lost connection, karma I guess.
    Hope everyone has a good night, see you next week.
    tezpez85 and Coanda like this.
  5. Kcender87

Kcender87 Rookie

Well I sorted out my tire wear issue - and substituted a big off at 130R :p Crew chief said light damage that I wouldnt even notice - he lied.
    Cue an 18s stop for repairs then back to reg strategy. Was good fun racing with everyone though so ... silver lining I guess?
    Also interesting line on the final chicane for 8th ... :p

[​IMG]
  6. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Thanks for the races guys, results will need to be put up later. Seems after races many are loading the leaderboard killing the server and so its timing out for me and I cant add results. Steve will take a look at optimising this at some point as it was the same issue last week. Also the 2 guys tha raced in a team will not have correct points atm this will be fixed in a couple of days.
  7. TakFR

TakFR Rookie

In retrospect yeah, sorry I should have just slowed down on the straight and given it, I lost the front at the start of the chicane and didn't want to risk coming back onto the track only to hit someone. I was too worried about being punted off since the last two attempts for others overtaking there were going in so deep that I had to get out of the corner or else they would have slammed into me. I'll be more careful next time and just give it up if a similar situation occurs, I was just very worried about a last corner collision.
  8. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

Whaddyatalkinbeet? Clearly a faster line!
    Kcender87 likes this.
  9. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

What a beast of a race - destroyed my arms! Awesome job Andy, Jesus and Terry on the podium spots.

I had huge fun for the first hour chasing after Krunch and Freeland, they were both quicker than me but I managed to stay in touch as they lost time battling. Sadly Freeland lost it which let me past about 50 minutes in and from here it was all about trying to stay with Krunch. 62 minutes in I was about 1 second behind and we both pitted. I gained about 3 seconds in my pit stop somehow, even though it felt like I screwed it up and got out in front of Krunch with a small gap.

We were both about a second a lap faster at the start of the second stint and even as I was pushing at my limit he was still catching - soon my gap was gone and Krunch was right on my tail. Then he disappeared, which I later found out was due to a bugged pit stop not clearing or adding fuel - that sucked as the battle was so much fun!

After this I was in no mans land for a while, gained a couple places as people ahead went off and eventually started to see Coanda and Laurenson coming up behind on the relative - two much faster drivers than and I made the decision not to fight when the time came. I Coanda must have had some bad luck as he disappeared from the relative suddenly and soon after I let Laurenson past on the high speed left hander before the final chicane.

After this my tyres were starting to wear and my pace dropped off about a second, and Asher began to catch me fast. I managed to hold on with him looming large in my mirror for lap after lap and finally get across the finish line ahead in 12th, sore arms but with a big smile on my face - thanks for the race all!!
  10. Kcender87

Kcender87 Rookie

Nah its fine :) was a good exciting / stressful finish!
  11. Flamebadger

Flamebadger ACC Server Legend

Blimey Suzuka is a lot of fun, and requires much concentration.

First stint was good fun, battling those around me for most of the hour. Picked up a bit of damage from a couple of bits of contact, and those in discord may have seen the vid brad posted where from his perspective my honda lagged out in T1 and he made contact with it, catapultung him into the wall. I had no idea this occured and remember him disappearing from my rear view only, but really sucky to be netcoded or whatever occured there.

Stint 2 was weird. I came in a few seconds behind Shane, and came out about 8 seconds behind after taking repairs. I had good pace for the first 15 minutes.

And then the worst thing happened. Not my tyres going off suddenly, but I just lost concentration and rhythm and just could not get it back all stint. Immediately lost about a sec a lap, and spent the last 40mins just trying to be extra careful and not crash. Ended up 30 odd seconds behind people I was there or there abouts with in stint 1. No complaints though, made it home in one piece! Congrats to all class podiums as always!
  12. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Was a fun race, first couple of laps I was amazed how slow @andyo450 was. I was thinking wtf, then after we came across some traffic and he got a smallish gap. He fired up the afterburners and gtf out of there in a hurry, I think I suffered some burns as the space ship took off. :D

From there I knew the only way I could beat Andy was if he beat himself with some penalties or got tangled up in traffic, knowing the Porsche was not fast in a straight line and not good on tyres in the heat, I was just happy to not be a total sitting duck as I held up the guys behind me. As it got hot my tyres were well cooked and I planned an earlier stop soon after 65 minutes to make it home within the stint limit. I messed up the last chicane on my inlap as I braked too late and didnt have enough rubber to make it. There I lost a place to Terry and Jesus, crossed the track and pitted in with about 63 minutes left in the race.

I went fairly high pressures on stint 2 with the hopes of the car getting better as it went into the night, it was a bit crappy before sunset but the car got much better as it cooled off. I was about 8 to 10 seconds down to Terry and Jesus, but Jesus kept on going as my times started improving. Terry however was a few tenths per lap down and I started to claw the gap back, I got it to about 3 seconds with 20 minutes to go but had a small mistake losing about 5 seconds. I then clawed this all back to catch him with a couple laps to go.

I saw my stint timer wasn't looking good as Andy was well ahead and even though I had about 2 minutes to go as the clock got to 0. I was a lap and a half from finishing the race. My stint timer ran out into the final chicane on the last lap after Andy had already crossed the line, but I got an 80 second penalty for going over my stint time. :oops:

I think for future races we will set this stint to 70 minutes, being 65 minutes the crew chief warns you stint is running out and at 60 minutes he says your stint is over. Maybe Kunos special here of 65 minute rule being a 60 minute rule, adding the extra 5 minutes will mean anyone stopping with 65 to go should be able to make it to the finish within their stint time.

Here is my final laps of the race and you can see the time of the DT which was when my stint time ran out @2:35

This is what the 2018 Spa regulations say. I did ask in the official forums and Panky replied its as designed, he says the stint limit is 60+5 overtime. However my reading of that rule has it as final stint is from pit exit line until the end of the 24hr period which I read as clock reaching 0.
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
  13. Coanda

Coanda Team Driver

It's OK these things happen mate.. Thanks for your honesty. I shouldn't have been there as I stupidly left the wrong engine map on when we went green. I quickly realised when Serge ate me up and flew past me. I think I was on map 8..
    tezpez85 and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.
  14. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Race highlights are a bit better in the current build, shows highlights from the full 2hr race and even gets a few passes. ;)
    c4rLo5 and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.
  15. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

I think 80S is a bit rough for that mate - how about we run a poll to remove the penalty? I'd vote 'remove'!
    krunch, tezpez85, c4rLo5 and 2 others like this.
  16. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Rookie

Not a bad race for a change after having bad luck in the last few.

Quali'd p3 which with the pace of the guys around me I was well surprised.

Race started well, made a braking error going into the last chicane and very nearly took out Terry and lost a couple of positions which I wasn't happy with myself about. Set about trying to catch them again and did, managed to get back past Roland then stayed in touch with de Jesus but the tyres weren't lasting towards the end of the first stint so I lost about 3 seconds by the time I pitted. I had the perfect pit stop (Hooray!!) and came back out in front of Marty. I stupidly didn't raise my pressures so I struggled a bit through the first few corners and Marty got past. After he got past I was behind him coming into 130r, I didn't lift quite enough, and then oversteered into the wall causing me 23 seconds worth of damage. I was in p5 at the time and I was still 18 seconds ahead of Mia Ott so I thought I'd try to consolidate my position even though I was losing 1 to 1.5 seconds a lap. I only just made it to the line with Mia 2 seconds or so back, another lap or 2 and I would have lost that position.

So P5, well P4 if it lasts, so I'll definitely take that considering the damage.

A shame there were so many retirements, not sure if that was from damaged cars or just frustrated drivers?
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
    tezpez85 and marty like this.
  17. Wally

Wally Team Driver

Not too bad a race for me (lack of pace notwithstanding). I chose to just let faster drivers fighting for position past without too much of a fight, which meant I avoided a lot of taps on my rear bumper. My only real race was with AGK who was chasing me for a long, long time until I had a wobble on a kerb and he got past. I also had a big off at 130R when I took a bit too much inside kerb and gave Art Vandelay behind me a nice heart attack I'm sure.
    Jeremy Talbot likes this.
  18. AeroDynamicMilk

AeroDynamicMilk Rookie

I wish I had my bad luck doubled for zandvoort. I was really looking forward to suzuka, one of my favourite circuits.
    Bout 10 laps in I was running off by myself but starting to lose pace so the guys behind were catching slowly but surely. But I made a big mistake in degnar 2 and ran wide into the gravel and lost a lot of time to guys behind. We were battling for a couple laps but we made contact and I came off much worse and had to pit and came out last about ~40 seconds behind the next car. I called it a night there.
    Just when I thought I could have a decent enduro result.
  19. nanlatt

nanlatt ACC Server Legend Gold Member

Another frustrating race for me. Got rear ended in T1 one the first lap....again. Damaged the rear a bit but wasn't too bad but lost a heap of positions, from P19 to P30. Went about trying to make up some lost ground. Got back to P22 before putting a tyre on the grass on the curve between the hairpin & spoon, sending me into a spin and putting me back down to P27 and some minor flat spotting for good measure. The guys behind must have had a nervous moment seeing the big Nissan facing the wrong way in the middle of the road...sorry about that.

Clawed my way back to P15 after the pitstops but Coanda was working his way toward me at the back end of the race. I thought I just about had him covered but my tyres abandoned me with about 3 laps to go as I Tokyo drifted my way around T1. They cried enough and let go again in Degner 1 and Coanda was away. Was a cracking battle up to that point, thanks @Coanda. I don't think I took a breathe for a few laps. Anyway P16 was a decent result given the start and it was still a fun race, but it could have been so much better as the car felt reasonable in race trim.

Anyway, on to the Nurburgring where I can hopefully have a clean start and not get beaten up on the first lap.
  20. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

Pretty good result for that round, if someone told me I'd have 3rd by the end of that one, I wouldn't have believed them. The car felt totally different to the hot lap server and for the first 20 mins of practice I couldn't even get an un-invalidated lap in. I still had some untested changes to the setup at the end of prac which is never a good thing.

The luck began when @Kcender87 tried to 'Tokyo drift' 130r at the start of the race and came off second best. After a bit of dicing in the first lap I was up to 3rd which is where I stayed until just before the stops when @marty overcooked the final corner. @GT-71CKL (Jesus) was never far behind and after the stops he had much greater pace than myself and blasted off down the road. I could see @marty chomping down my lead, and would have had me if it wasn't for a mistake or two.

IMO that penalty for driver stint limit is BS, because if lead driver starts a lap at 1hr 59min 59 sec on the clock, then it's hard to tell at the stops (an hour beforehand) whether that's going to happen.

Also, @Wally sorry about the qualifying incident, was trying to get past to save a decent lap. Alas :poop:
    GT-71CKL and Jeremy Talbot like this.