ACC ACC Season 2 Monday's rnd 8 Suzuka 2hr Intercontinental GT Challenge

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by marty, May 5, 2020.

1. marty

marty AC Server Legend

I think its BS too and will change stint limit to 70 minutes for all future endure rounds which will ensure if you stop with 65 minutes to go in the race then you will be able to finish without penalty. There is a chance you may get away with a touch more but it would be a risk due to how far after the race clock hits 0. My reading of the rules indicate final stint is until the end of the scheduled race time, this would exclude over time as it really isn't fair in that way. I think its an issue with the way Kunos enforces the penalty but they say its as designed so we will need to make a workaround unless they change their view.

I wont take the penalty off myself unless a reasonable amount of people here say it should be removed. I would say at least 10 would need to say yes and less then 5 say no. I wont set a poll specifically for it just go by reply here during the week. Funny thing is had I noticed the drive through I could have gone into pit lane and possibly served this and not lost a place. Then there is also the question of a drive through penalty on the last lap? So beware of your track limits if you get this penalty on the last lap it is an 80 second time penalty. However if this was to happen to someone on the last lap and they didn't use this to gain a spot its highly likely under review the time penalty would be removed if it was given on the last lap.
  2. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

remove it
    marty likes this.
  3. nanlatt

nanlatt ACC Server Legend Gold Member

Remove it. Although it's easy for me to say as it won't affect my result. Still think it's a bit :poop:
    marty likes this.
  4. TakFR

TakFR Rookie

My race was good apart from the last 7 laps or so where the car became incredibly unstable for some reason, and this was on fresher tyres then my first stint.

Qualifying was bad, couldn't get a lap together at all despite being pretty consistent in hotlapping beforehand
    The race start was good but I got knocked around a bit with luckily no damage
    so I was behind you and gave a lot of room since I know how bad of a crash magnet you've become for some unlucky reason, K.Smith in the Aston behind came in way too fast for a first corner, first lap scenario and I dived to the left to avoid getting slammed into, got a slight knock from them but they slammed into you instead, bad luck mate.
    After a few laps a train started to form with some people getting impatient from being stuck for around 5 laps but after a while it got itself sorted out, then a yellow Lambo was running very slowly in pace ahead of Shuttleworth and I but they came off at the fast right-hander,
    I was then catching Medved lap by lap and eventually made my way past. Got a slower pitstop then it became a long fight between Medved and I which was tense but fun, he did dive into the chicane so hard that I had to get out of the corner in order to avoid a crash but apart from that it was good.

After that my tyres were just toast for most of the time, Laurenson caught up very quickly and that part has already been explained.

Marty I don't think anyone will have a problem with the penalty being removed, it's incredibly harsh and you're basically being punished for not being 5 seconds faster in the last stint, just seems stupid to me.
    nanlatt and marty like this.
  5. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

Remove!
    marty likes this.
  6. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Rookie

To me your stint time is your stint time regardless whether the leader has crossed the line or not. Personally I believe the rule is pretty clear.

I have no issue with the penalty being removed however as I guess it's something we need to learn from. Either way 80secs in lieu of a drive through is extremely harsh
  7. Brad Jesson

Brad Jesson New Recruit

remove it! ridiculous. i think the stint limits should be opened up by at least 10 more minutes and the pit window should be adjusted in the shorter windows also. currently theres no strategy or anything because everybody has to pit within the same 2 - 3 laps
  8. Brad Jesson

Brad Jesson New Recruit

Definately a race to forget for myself and Hayden,

I didnt qualify very well i bombed my last lap which i was up 7 tenths and ended up starting down like 15th. i got a mega start and got 4 spots on the start. Then an aston missed the last chicane and his rejoin was awkward and he spooked me and i had a bit of a slide and lost 4 or so spots.

The porsche wasnt very strong here and I spent quite alot of time struggling to get past some slower cars. I really had to force overtakes to get through, I hate having to do awkward overtakes but unforunately it was either sit behind and lose approx 2 seconds a lap so stuck between a rock and a hard place especially with the porsche being particularly weak on the only sections where its easy to overtake here. In saying that all passes I feel were hard but fair. Apart from the bump up the rear of Jorgensen into the hairpin of which I waited for him to get going again. Unfortunately undoing all the hard work id just put in for 12 or so laps :( I had already decided to go for the pass and committed and Matt decided to defend same time so i ran up his bum slightly and pushed him wide. Luckily not too much time was lost by both of us.

Anyway a couple laps later going into T1 i must have got a lag spike on the server and this happened for those who didnt see on discord, Pretty much putting an end to any sort of decent result in my race :(

During the spike Matts car went 100% brake right at the kink into T1 and i went straight through him and it fired me across the fence and teleported us to the pits. Hayden jumped in with 45min to go on our second stop and We managed to fight back to p14 overall and 7th in class despite having to complete two stops. but yea pretty disapointed in how the race went as i think we had the pace to compete for the silver class win.

Unfortunately I guess internet issues are the sim racing version of mechanical failures. on to the next one!

Also to anybody thinking about teaming up for the longer races coming up. We had no issues and everything went smoothly with the driver swap. We used teamspeak to communicate to each other privately.
    tezpez85 likes this.
  9. marty

marty AC Server Legend

I get your point but a 2hr race may be 2hrs 5minutes for example so that means in a 65 minute stint limit as per the real series endurance regulations you dont know how long the final stint is as it depends on where you are relative to the leaders.

This really only gives a 5 minute window as you cant use the full 65 minutes of scheduled race time if needing to calculate the race overtime which can be 5 minutes or even longer at some tracks in some conditions. In this race the longest total race time was Pete Viney 02:02:21.646 and if andy had been 30 seconds faster and did an extra lap this would have made his race time 2 minutes longer most likely.

Thats why I read the real regulation as being to the clock reaching 0 not including overtime to the final stint. If it was including overtime it would probably read from last time crossing pit exit to getting the chequered flag not scheduled race time.

The reason for the 10 minute pit window in sprints is that's what they use in the real series, ironically because the max driver stint is 35 minutes and they have 2 drivers per car. However if you do a mid race pit window at the very opening of the window and with race over time the 2nd driver can do more then 35 minutes kind of of proving my definition of stint limits to the scheduled race time not including overtime. ;)
    The endurance stint limit is to keep the cars more even, some cars are much more fuel efficient so could run longer and get an advantage in longer races. The real series has a 65 minute limit which should give a 10 minute window for the final stint, but as race overtime is unknown until well the race is over that window shrinks by 2 or more minutes and can catch people out. For example the last 2.4hr race we did with such long pit stops at Spa the cars that could easily make this on 1 stop like the Bentley had a massive advantage.

I will raise the stint limit to 70 minutes until Kunos maybe fixes the stint timer stopping as the race time expires.
  10. tezpez85

Yowza! That's a wallop! :coffee:
  11. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Real odd definite lost packet issue there, usually ACC netcode keeps cars that have lost connection flying straight on at the speed and heading they were like a spaceship in a vacuum. That one is very odd as the car brakes harder then usual in a spot you really couldn't slow that hard if you wanted to. Also you can see Jorgensons car start to fly to the heavens which is a clear ACC lag issue.

The cars further ahead aren't flying away from what I can see so I would assume it was Jorgensons connection here though its no his fault in any way. When you lose connection or have an issue at your end then all cars will do the fly away at the same time.
  12. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

Yep remove the penaly @marty - no brainer. When the regs say "until the scheduled duration of the race" it can only mean the official clock reaching zero. There's no mention of crossing any timing line for the end of the final stint. I think it's that way for the very reasons you have stated. No doubt Kunos just coded for crossing a timing line and haven't bothered to fix it for the actual regs.
  13. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

I got to the bottom of it. My fault not a bug. When setting up my fuel strategy during practice I thought I'd added full fuel to strats 1 and 2 but I'd actually done 2 and 3 accidentally. Doh! Then when I entered pitlane I did not notice that fuel was not set to be added which I probably should have seen and fixed before I got to my box. However in my defense I think these errors were somewhat due to Kunos' poor interface design (not just my ageing grey matter) which can lead to confusion and unexpected outcomes (which I should be getting used to by now). I'm so bummed it wrecked our battle Steve :(

I've said this before - I'd really like to see some level of AI implementation for the pitlane in sims these days to help overcome these sorts of hiccups. Maybe as you enter pitlane the AI checks all the variables and current situation (much like CrewChief actually does all race) and then pops up some simple options mid screen like "refuel to the end?" "Yes", "No", "Add ??? litres" (with a mouse operated slider right there - no typing requirement 'cos... VR), or "You should change tyres at this stop", "Are you sure you want to change brake pads in this stop?", etc..

Anyway I'll add that lesson to my growing list of sim racing mistakes such as wrong brake pads set for pit strat, and buying Project Cars 1 & 2.

As for the race - it was still immensely fun. Using Marty's baseline setup with very minor tweaks the car was very drive-able. I didn't have front running qual pace but I felt I could make a good go of trying to get to the top 10 if things went to plan. Obviously things didn't go to plan at the stop but before that it was going well. I tried to stay out of trouble at the start but had to slow to avoid a spinning car and got hit from behind. Luckily not significant damage but annoying. That first stint was full of cool battles with a bunch of drivers before settling in to dicing with Steve for lap after lap. After my double pitstop drama I dropped to 21st but the car was still good and the track - well it's fun! I had an action packed 2nd stint with battles, passes and offs and managed to scramble to 17th by the end (oh and @Mael, I've checked the replay and our hairpin contact incident - totally your fault ;)) So although that race result is nothing to write home about, I did have a big a smile on my face by the finish. Mission accomplished.
    c4rLo5, nanlatt, marty and 1 other person like this.
  14. marty

marty AC Server Legend

The Kunos dev that said its as designed has pretty much said its a game design choice and the real series most likely does the final stint to the clock. He doesnt consider it a significant issue so I dont think they will change it. We will raise stint limit to 70 and I will take the penalty off. Not actually sure how to remove 80 seconds off race time so will let @SteveDrivingSlowly do that incase I break the standings trying it. ;)
    SteveDrivingSlowly and krunch like this.
  15. tezpez85

Why not just use pit windows instead of stint limits? It's pretty well understood, and would avoid confusion with errant pit calls by the pitlane.
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  16. marty

marty AC Server Legend

That's actually probably the best workaround, we can still have a 65 minute stint limit using a pit window for a 2hr and 90 minute race. A 2hr race would be a 10 minute mid race pit window that would allow anyone that stops after 55 minutes to make the finish time without penalty. A 90 minute would have a 40 minute pit window meaning you need to run 25 minutes min or 65 max and so this is a good solution.

Only the Spa race will need a pit window as it will be a forced 2 stop race, 2 compulsory fuel stops with tyres optional so a 70 minute stint limit there will work. People still need to do 2 mandatory stops and the final stint with the current method at Spa would be risk of a penalty if someone did more then 65 minutes. Its better to give a little more time then shorten it but anyone doing a 65 minute stint should avoid a penalty.
    tezpez85 and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.
  17. Wally

Wally Team Driver

My 2c, I would like to see a longer pit window, so you don't get everyone pitting so close together. It opens up more strategy.
  18. SteveDrivingSlowly

Yeah I like the pit window idea, and the longer window would also be good. I don’t have an issue with knowing some cars fuel consumption is different - its part of the sim!
    tezpez85 likes this.
  19. SteveDrivingSlowly

I have subtracted 80 seconds from your finish time - congrats on 4th mate!
    krunch, tezpez85 and marty like this.
  20. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Should have made it 82 for a podium. :poop::roflmao: