AC Assetto Corsa - AC Skins Guide (and FileShare Location)

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by DoogleDave, Sep 20, 2014.

1. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Guys, I thought it might be worthwhile creating a new thread purely for discussion and posting of new skins.
    Below is the FileShare account I have setup for us to share our skins with each other (so we can use them during online multiplay)

Please remember that in order for your skin to be seen by everyone on-track, each person must have your skin loaded onto "their" PC.
    Those that do not have your specific skin installed will only see a white car on-track.

To share our skins there are two links you will need to use.
    (1) FileDrop Link: (for uploading only)
    http://www.mediafire.com/filedrop/filedrop_hosted.php?drop=144d0b49a51b885441134abcfdc499a5d3e7880d595c6d821051e51825031a60

This link can be used to upload your ZIP files to our account, so we can all access them for download.
    Please be sure to ZIP your entire skin folder before uploading (don't try and upload the folder directly, it will need to be put into a Zip file). If you're not sure how to ZIP a file just ask.
    Also, please remove any Photoshop templates from your folder prior to zipping as these will just make the upload/download files larger than they need to be.

All you need to do is click the link above and then at the prompt click on Select Files, which will allow you to browse for the ZIP file on your PC that you wish to upload.
    Once selected click OK and then select Start Uploading Files. This will send your chosen ZIP file to the shared AC Skins folder online.
    Once the upload has completed you can then choose to upload another file or simply close your web browser and you're done uploading.
    You can only upload one ZIP file at a time (as this is just using the free license).

(2) AC Skins Folder Link: (for downloading only)
    https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xvuq1wmpd1nca/AC_Skins

From this link you will be able to access the shared folder named "AC Skins", where we are all uploading our skins to.
    Simply tick the file you wish to download and then select "download" and it will prepare a new webpage where you can choose to Download the file (click on the large green button). Once selected the download will begin and it will be saved to the default location your browser saves your files to (typically into your generic Downloads folder).

Once you have downloaded the ZIP file you will need to extract it into the appropriate skins folder relevant to the car.
    This location will likely be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars\abarth500\skins, (in this example this is the skins folder for the Abarth 500 car.

Once extracted you should be able to go into the showroom within AC and open that car and toggle through the various skins where you should see the one you just downloaded. If it displays correctly in the showroom it will work fine in-game.

For those that upload updated skins can I suggest we work on a naming convention to keep it easy to keep track of?
    Perhaps something like [car]_[skin name]_[version number]
    eg. C6R_BlackWidowRacing_v101

This way if we make a change and upload the new one we can quickly distinguish between newest versions and if need be I can delete old versions from the shared folder. If you have any other suggestions let us know.....

Otherwise, feel free to use this thread to post all comments regarding skins for AC :thumbsup:

Mods: perhaps this can be pinned?
    Tovey_4saken and AJ.Scott like this.
  2. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
  3. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    @AJ.Scott , I think you may have linked to the wrong file.
    The Corvette-C6R_Skinpak link above downloads the GT3_Skinpak instead.

If you want to upload the C6R skinpak to the "shared" Mediafire folder in the OP feel free to do so (you dont need an account and this will keep all the skins together for anyone looking for them).
    https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xvuq1wmpd1nca/AC_Skins
    AJ.Scott likes this.
  4. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    @DoogleDave Thanks for the tip Dave, I have fixed the D/L :)
    If I upload anymore skins I will up them to the Mediafire acc :thumbsup:

Cheers
  5. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Cheers AJ. I uploaded your C6R skinpak to the Mediafire shared folder also :)
  6. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    LOL, It sure is.....

[​IMG]

If you follow the wireframe you can try and warp your graphics to suit the body shape (but it is a bit of a trial and error thing (and quite tedious).

I almost enjoy making the damn skins more than playing the game :laugh:
    R0T0R-AU86, Cyber_STIG_77 and KoAStR like this.
  7. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Nice doogle. Very nice. Lol yea I remember NASCAR 2002 on PC had an in-game skinning tool, I definitely spent more time making skins for that than racing.
  8. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    And it's MUCH easier if you name your layers.
    The default ones will be things like:
    - the base colour

- the occlusion layer (which is a mask to ignore anything outside the wireframe area)
    This can be handy if you wish to leave notes.
    I usually write "this side up" on mine because I am constantly rotating my skin around and if you don't put it back to its correct orientation before saving your file - well you'll see what happens when you load the skin in-game :laugh:

- the wireframe (which shows the body shape/contours), which you can use to help "warp" your graphics/text to follow the shape of the body panels.....this makes sense once you get the hang of it

I generally leave all these layers in my skin template and just hide them if I don't want to see them.
    I then create a new layer for the body colour (and make sure it is ABOVE the default body colour layer.
    In this new layer you are free to add whatever colour (and or gradient) which will show up as your new body colour (and as long as your occlusion layer is ABOVE your new body colour layer, the occlusion will mask out all the black area outside the body panels.

I then add my graphics and/or text that live ABOVE the new body colour.
    I am also in the habit of creating layers per panel (one for each side of the car, one for the bonnet, one for the roof, another for the wing, etc etc.)
    By doing so (and having each layer NAMED accordingly), it is easy to move around the skin and add/change stuff - keeping in mind the layer order that needs to occur so everything can be seen (remember, just like in real-life the paint lives UNDERNEATH any text or graphics on the car).
    Also, having a layer per panel also helps if you have others asking you to make a skin for them, as once your template is setup it is a pretty quick process to change numbers/text etc).

Lastly (and I make this mistake ALL THE DAMN TIME, LOL), remember to HIDE your wireframe BEFORE saving your .DDS file....otherwise your skin will show the wireframe over your car in-game.

Other than this the rest just comes down to your fluency in Photoshop and your creativity.
    Hope this helps....:thumbsup:
    Anon666 and R0T0R-AU86 like this.
  9. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Yea that's it..... that's where the Alfa was tricky, the template only had one layer (no occlusion or wire frame layers).
    So I copy pasted the one layer and deleted the panels to create a black mask above my paint layer so I could still see extents of panels as I was painting, just like the occlusion layer does in other template (the paint layer hiding the original layer as it filled up).

For my X-Bow I have 4 layers: Base colour, flames front, flames rear left, flames rear right. This way I can position and edit the flames on the front of the car without worrying about messing up the rear and vice versa. Once I have positioned rear left it's a simple copy/paste/flip operation to duplicate for right. If I make changes on the left, I delete the right and re-create in full from the finished left hand side.

You could work it all in one layer but it can get messy if you make a mistake and when you duplicate left-to-right (I did the Alfa in one layer).

If I was to add decals it would probably be a similar scheme on top of the flames layers.

I'm using GIMP.
    Before I export to DDS I flatten the image (but don't save this change in the working file).
    When exporting to DDS I select compression DXT5 and tickbox for "Generate Minimaps".
    These two steps I have found make sure my skin is visible on the car in-game.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  10. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    For anyone interested in learning the process, THIS is well worth reading.

This is how I learnt to do my skin packs :)

And great point Koastr, some cars don't have the wireframe and/or occlusion layer.
    In this case you can either make your own mask or just create new layers above and add your own colours, graphics and text that way.
    It just takes a little more trial and error when you don't have the wireframe to work from.

Also worth noting that might be helpful. You can actually run the AC showroom without loading the game (it will load the last car shown in the showroom) and from within the showroom you can then toggle through the available skins.

This makes life much easier if going back and forth (and its even easier if you're lucky enough to have dual-monitors (showroom on one and photoshop/windows explorer opened on the other).

Just find the acShowroom.exe file which should be in the main AC folder inside your install location.
    I created a shortcut to it on my desktop so I can run it whenever I like.
    Remember the car needs to be loaded into the showroom once from within the game, then you can close the game and just keep running acShowroom.exe to view edits to your skin. (N.B. you need to close and re-run the showroom each time you re-save a change to your skin, for it to load properly).
    skywalker likes this.
  11. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Yea that's what I referenced to get started, well actually there's a mirror post on the AC forums:
    http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...to-skin-modding-painting-the-bailey-way.3951/

The shortcut to the AC showroom is great. I have a folder in my documents for skinning.
    It has shortcuts to car AC templates folder, acshowroom.exe, and the content/cars AC programme directory.
    I make a sub-folder for each skin I'm working on with a short cut direct to the programme directory skin folder e.g content/cars/KTM_Xbow_R/skins/KoAtRs_Latest_Skin.

Then with just a few button clicks I can copy a new/updated skin and view in it the showroom for an integrity check :)
    ESC on the keyboard and the show room closes dumping you straight back to desk-top.
  12. Tovey_4saken

Tovey_4saken Team Driver

PSN ID
    Tovey_4saken
    My simple KTM skin for round 2 is uploaded :thumbsup:
    DoogleDave likes this.
  13. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Nice skin Tovey!
    Mine is also uploaded now.

HERE is the link to the folder....
    Tovey_4saken likes this.
  14. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Uploaded my KTM skin too
  15. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    I have popped up a livery here just wondering if it is hard to change the number?? Still struggling with the painting??
  16. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Actually found a plain one with no number, uploaded it also.
  17. R0T0R-AU86

R0T0R-AU86 Team Driver

PSN ID
    R0T0R-AU86
    how do i upload my skin do that directory?
  18. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Use the link in the OP.
  19. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
  20. R0T0R-AU86

R0T0R-AU86 Team Driver

PSN ID