AC Assetto Corsa - AC Skins Guide (and FileShare Location)

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by DoogleDave, Sep 20, 2014.

1. DA1988

DA1988 New Recruit

Hey people,

Can anyone tell how to make the car look more mettalic and using the alpha channel technically? Please, a well-rounded explanation for this would be so nice.

And this is the car I created: [​IMG]
    Anon666 and Tovey_4saken like this.
  2. Tovey_4saken

Tovey_4saken Team Driver

PSN ID
    Tovey_4saken
    Nice skin you got there :thumbsup: well what do you mean by metallic? a flake look or just a deeper gloss? we are all in the dark ourselves and just play around with the files to see what can be done get a deeper gloss by duplicating occlusion layers over the skin about 5 does it and flake is just noise added to the skin very finely and don't think i've ever touched the alpha layer because the skin goes over it so no need to that i'm aware of
  3. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    The metal_details.dds file is the file with the noise in it that gives a metallic paint flake look. No one has figured out how to do a chrome look..
  4. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
  5. Tovey_4saken

Tovey_4saken Team Driver

PSN ID
    Tovey_4saken
    unfortunately doesn't work i tried to layer different highlights to fake it on the sls somewhere in here but it came out looking very strange :roflmao: looked good in the paint program but in game wasn't as smooth

@KoAStR yep if the metal detail file is there and has flake then that will do the trick but some cars don't have one or use carbon instead like the p45 so faking it with noise is the next solution :)
  6. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    The p4/5 had a map file that by default gives a blotchy spray on composite effect. You could probably replace that layer with noise and get a flake look and it would probably better mimic the metal details file (highlight and reflect better) than doing it in the skin base.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  7. Tovey_4saken

Tovey_4saken Team Driver

PSN ID
    Tovey_4saken
    talking about that someone came across a way to get that orange peel look on the AC fourum i'll have to try and track it down so we have another effect to play with :Dchrome flair/colour shift is somehow meant to be possible too but no 1 is sharing secrets
  8. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    I think if you make a map file with a different base colour from the skin base you will get colour shifting. As the map tends to make the finish more matte you could try applying some transparancy to the base colour layer in the map or even adding an occlusion layer maybe so it might behave more like two shiny skin bases. That last part is just a theory at the mo.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  9. DA1988

DA1988 New Recruit

Thank you all for the advices guys. Tried some ocl duplicate and used some color mix brush tool and I think it worked a little.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That sounds a good idea but have to learn how to create map files. In addition to that some people can create a colspan.dds (something like that) file and then can paint the Z4's headlight glass or windshield. I'm not an expert photoshop user nor coder but would like to see an article with all about this.

Thanks again for the replies.
  10. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    I'm pretty sure you just add ".map" to the file name in your skin folder.
  11. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Almost. Use an underscore "_map".
    So if the template is called for e.g. "carpaint_d.dds" then create a file or copy of this called "carpaint_d_map.dds".
    DA1988 and Cyber_STIG_77 like this.
  12. mcaraballo08

mcaraballo08 New Recruit

how can i get the matte effect on my skin for assetto corsa
  13. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    You use another file with the same name as the skin and suffix "_map"
    The coloured areas in the map file tell AC where you want the matte effect applied. Will try and dig up an exampme for you but in the mean time try going into one of the kunos cars like the lotus GTE that has a matte option and look through the skin files.
  14. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
  15. Iggy

Iggy New Recruit

Hi! M8, where is the download link? Can't find it :-/
  16. TheStig13

TheStig13 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    thestig-13
  17. Iggy