Division 3 - Season 8

Discussion in 'PCLOZ Past Seasons' started by stucar17, Jul 3, 2017.

1. dj2ca

dj2ca Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    dj2ca
    Thanks Ad. So they're in this order?

P12: purple
    P13: cola
    P14: rumble

Or have you listed turn in the order they left/DSC?
  2. PurpleDog

PurpleDog Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    PurpleDog
    With Internode (iiNet). It's this town where I live, and also the neighbouring town where I work. They just switched on the NBJ, and it is having all sorts of teething issues. You would have thought they would have gotten their :poop: together by now.

Changing is too much of a gamble, as there is no guarantee that a new ISP has bought enough bandwidth in a town like this. Internode has a massive following here as they were a South Australian company, so I would be more inclined to think that they would have a decent slab of the pipe coming into town. One of my customers is the engineer that laid the main fibre into the town. There is enough fibre coming into town to supply a medium sized city, and there is only about 2000 people in this town. Doesn't mean that it is all switched on.
  3. PurpleDog

PSN ID
    PurpleDog
    I retired on lap 22. Got DSC as the race was in rundown mode.
  4. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    AussieBroadBand have been building up their own network and have made it public that congestion should no longer be a problem if you go with them.
    Check here: https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/nbn-poi/ to see if you are On-net or not.
    If you are, then you should be good for congestion free net. If you are off-net then it just means they'll be serving bandwidth via another wholesaler (Optus) and will have no control over that until they install their own equipment.
  5. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

Yeah, parked it up and started to watch TV. Forgot to change the time frame for entering rest mode if idle so it shut down and removed me. Have adjusted it so it doesn't happen again if required.
    stucar17 and dj2ca like this.
  6. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    it says im on-net. so thats why i get zero congestion then, right?
  7. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    Not sure if being sarcastic or not, but congestion 'shouldn't' be an issue if you're On-net with ABB.
  8. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    nah genuine, im with optus, and have never had any congestion. im on NBN FTTP. I was getting confused thinking theyre talking about general speeds, but if its just with them then it has no relevence to my good connection then? mines just good because FTTP
  9. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    I am about to get FTTN at my new house, but I am not sure what speed I should pay for, as will I actually get it...
  10. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    mate with FTTN its sorta luck of the draw, go with a mid range option first. if you can hit close to max speeds, and you want more, then go up. but id be very suprised if you get close to advertised speeds
  11. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    Yeah, unfortunately with the way it is, it's luck of the draw.
    Which sucks coz there's no way of telling what you're going to get until you actually get it.
    One ISP might kick ass in a particular POI but suck balls in another and vise versa with other ISPs.
    Best thing would be to find ones that are proven to be reputable around your area (even if people bag it out in others), and failing that just try ones that offer contract-free and free connections if possible.

Edit: And the problem with contracts is that later down the track it might turn to :poop: when/if more and more people are oversubscribed and you'll still be locked in.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Zachery likes this.
  12. Zachery

Zachery Professional

PSN ID
    Zharvs92
    thats very sound advice, agree with everything there
  13. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    I am looking at mate communicate. $60/month 12/1 or $70/month 25/5
    no set up fee and byo vdsl modem (which I have)
    no contract, no fee to change plan
  14. PurpleDog

PSN ID
    PurpleDog
    I went 100/40, as NBJco gave a very optimistic (and broad) estimate that I would get anywhere from 40 to 93 Mbps based on my physical proximity to the node. I get 42. Going to change it soon. Your ISP should be able to give you this figure, take my experience, and assume you will only get the lower end.
    As @Zachery said, pick the middle and see if it is worth going up if you are maxxing the connection. As @SuiCid3 said, it may worsen over time, but the tech I spoke to at Internode explained that all the people still on ADSL in your loop affects the VDSL.
    Zachery likes this.
  15. maximuscatticus

maximuscatticus Team Driver

PSN ID
    maximuscatticus
    Had an awesome race until turn 1 on lap 2. Managed to get through the carnage of turn one lap one, then dumbarse me slid straight off the track & spent the rest of the race trying to claw my way back, & forgot to save the replay so no video. Unfortunately 7pm SA time is dead on the 2 year olds bed time, sometimes she goes straight down but others not so much. Sunday was the latter, I spent the first 10ish laps hearing her carry on like a pork chop. See how we go next week I suppose...
    stucar17 likes this.
  16. disturboed

disturboed Damian Hall Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    disturboed
    @Hatfield if you can work out your physical position in relation to your Telstra Pilllar (the cylinder thing that sticks out of the ground), you can usually estimate a good speed range. The Pillar is usually going to be located reasonably close to the actual Node itself (big green cabinet).

I worked out I'm about 600m from the pillar by road, and as a result I can actually get decent speeds. The further away from the pillar you are the more the speed drops off. Given my proximity I opted for the fastest plan to try it out and have been on it ever since. This morning I'm on 75 down and 33 up. I've been as high as 93 up. There is a map where you can work out which ADA you are in and what exact physical area and addresses it covers. You can then look for the pillar in an attempt to gauge the distance.
    Hatfield likes this.
  17. arakasi-

arakasi- Professional

PSN ID
    arakasi-
    To add to this, all my problems were Upload speed related. Once I got the plan with Max upload speeds, it sorted, as the bigger Downloads come with it.
    Also, have you got a 'Smart TV', as I got one just before the A.C. test series, then had a couple DSC's , then realised I hadnt turned off my WiFi button on modem, and since the TV isnt connected, had no DSCs since
  18. dj2ca

PSN ID
    dj2ca
  19. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    @dj2ca a reminder that nigegunz (nigel burley) is in div 1...was my mistake
    dj2ca likes this.
  20. dj2ca

PSN ID
    dj2ca
    Good catch! I'll change it to Sir Nige tonight.