Fanatec Fanatec DD

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by Rolz, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

April 30
    Nice to see a video on some news about it
    Anon666, Peter Wise and KoAStR like this.
  2. xlxy90

xlxy90 Professional

PSN ID
    xlxy90
    wow. that's one hell of a stress test.
  3. Rolz

So who here has a DD1/2 on order and is waiting?
    Seeing other countries get theirs is killing me slowly...
    God I hope it's not a CF delay like the F1LE was :p
  4. marty

marty AC Server Legend

They could have shown the stress test at least do a lap of Nords maybe it died at the 2 minute mark lol, would be really hard to stuff a direct drive base up unless they cheaped out on components.

The real stress test will be once users get it, I really havent heard of hardware failures from accuforce, bodnar or even custom ows systems. Hopefully for all you guys fanatec has lifted their qc and stopped cheaping out on core structural components. Posting videos like that one that really show nothing other then marketing saying its tough, and you can easily say 1 thing and do another. ;)
  5. Noxrai

Noxrai Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    I have had my eye on this bad boy for a while and I'm patiently waiting for reviews to start coming in and also it's reliability.
    I'd love to get a dd wheel that i could use for both my ps4 and pc. This thing so far ticks all the boxes.

I could maybe finally put my thrustmaster to rest. She's getting rickety in her old age.
  6. Rolz

marty likes this.
  7. Rolz

Sim Racing Garage did a great review

Then another review on the 3D Printed mod to minimise the wheel to base movement issue

I'm currently printing one up... I don't really notice it that much but since watching video it plays in the back of my mind...
    @andyo450, @Noxrai do you notice it?

Any other DD drivers noticing it?
    Will come back if there is an improvement worth doing... then can print out a few to anyone interested...
    Only catch is it'll be orange (thats the spool colour I'm using) and u pay postage lol
    godzilla_rising, c4rLo5 and Noxrai like this.
  8. Noxrai

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    I never really noticed much flex on my wheel. But after watching that vid I had to double check mine.

Mine isn't nearly as bad as his. But I agree, having as little shake/bend/flex as possible always a good thing when it comes to wheels.

My current wheel is dead and I'm waiting for Fanatec to send me a new one. But I would be interested in getting one to reduce the minor flex. Any way I can talk you into getting black or grey coloured spool?
  9. Rolz

when my orange is up I'll load my grey one... they are air sealed and apparently can shorten the life if open and not used for a certain period time. :thumbsup:
    Noxrai likes this.
  10. Noxrai

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    I did not know that. Interesting. Let me know when you load the new stuff.
  11. andyo450

andyo450 Team Driver Super ROOZ

Mines got a tiny bit but I’ve got to give it a fair bit of force to get it to move. It’s not noticable while driving.
  12. Rolz

new firmware update out!
    Today, we’re introducing the first Performance Update for the Podium Series, which is available as a beta driver package (v352). This includes some major driver optimisations and firmware updates for the DD1 (including PS4 version) and DD2 wheel bases and motors.

FFB Optimisations:

• Reduced FFB latency by 23% - latency is the enemy of simulation, so lower latency means a general performance improvement in all aspects of force feedback.
    • Increased resolution of the FFB signal to 16-bit (65536 increments) instead of 8-bit (256 increments) - this also helps with smoothness and response. The fidelity is now 256 times better!
    • Improved FFB linearity - a more linear response means more consistent torque delivery across the dynamic range.
    • Improved motor control with significantly less ‘loss’, to resemble the raw FFB signal more precisely. Simply described, the previous motor handling acted like a slight filter on noisy FFB but also reduced detail (1:1 game FFB can be quite rough and noisy, therefore we have added a new filter to the Tuning Menu called "Force Interpolation" - more on that below).
    • Improved Spring Effect calculation to improve oscillation behaviour.
    • Improved Damper Effect calculation to improve oscillation behaviour.
    • Improved Natural Friction calculation to solve unwanted vibration.

New FFB Features:

• Linearity Mode “LIN” reduces maximum FFB output by a small amount to guarantee a consistent output between peaks and holding forces. Improved general linearity between game output and torque output.
    • Force Interpolation “INT” (similar to the ‘Reconstruction Filter’ on OSW/SimuCube) filters and smoothens the incoming rough game FFB signal and increases the refresh rate. For example a 60Hz FFB signal (e.g. iRacing) looks like rough steps on a graph and can also feel like this, but using Force Interpolation, the signal is recreated as a smooth curve. In comparison to FEI, this filter is a lot more powerful as it doesn't influence latency as much, has a better smoothing algorithm and doesn't eliminate effects completely.
    • Natural Inertia "NIN" simulates additional weight on the steering axis. This can be particularly useful when using light wheels like the P1 or McLaren GT3. It also makes the Natural Friction setting feel less ‘sticky’ on direction changes.

Other notable changes and fixes:

• All Tuning Menu parameters have been rearranged into a more logical order. Now the list starts with the settings that are constantly influencing the steering independent from the game, followed by FFB settings only influencing the game effects, then the vibration effects, and then settings dependent on connected hardware.
    • Added dynamic tooltips in the Tuning Menu, which makes more effective use of the OLED, and should make Tuning Menu adjustments more intuitive and less intimidating for beginners.

https://forum.fanatec.com/discussio...te-for-csl-csw-and-podium-bases-all-wheels/p1
    c4rLo5 and Noxrai like this.
  13. Noxrai

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    Looks tasty. Do you know if they have updated their recommended user settings? I wouldn't know where to best start with the new parameters.
  14. Rolz

at this point I'm going to hold as the Fanalab software isn't compatible with the new FW...
  15. Rolz

16. godzilla_rising

godzilla_rising Rookie

PSN ID
    godzilla_rising
    Hey mate, just wondering if you are still printing any of these up? Like you I haven't really noticed any flex whatsoever, but after already having mine sent back to Fanatec for repair (more a problem with the wheelbase) I am a little concerned about other things going wrong. I am happy with orange if its still loaded!!!

In other news though, I am loving the DD. So much force, and feel, and most importantly - NO FADE!!!!
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  17. Rolz

hey mate, I did print one way back, but when I installed it I couldn't get the lcd on the wheel to work or anything... thought I'd broken it... so put the original back on and all was fine... so decided stuff the stress of that and the minimal movement... I can live it with :)
    godzilla_rising likes this.