ACC Fun Run! Early Access

Discussion in 'Community Events' started by Rolz, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

Prefaced with the fact that I have been here for about 5 minutes and into sim racing for the same very limited time - so apologies for dumb questions/suggestions.

Aside from here on the forum, how do these races/events get promoted?

e.g. steam group, facebook page, other forums (assetto corsa competizione forum, racedeparment, simracing paddock or other), reddit (r/simracing, r/fanatec, r/assettocorsa etc), youtube (short clip with highlights from past races, a bit of a warm welcome and open invitation, embedded on front page here, linked wherever you want to promote it)

Is the intention to just get the max existing rooz members into these races, or use them as a way to attract more people into the community here in general?

I noticed that initially there was a regular fun run - having a regular semi-open entry race with a schedule up is a great way to attract people in and give them a taste of things. If it is regular people can plan a bit better to be available for a race. A regular non-league race is great for new people as you don't feel like you might ruin a league for someone, and you don't feel like it's a huge commitment to racing every week for example ("oh there is no point as I can't always be available")

Just from playing on public servers I know that there are a lot of frustrated people out there looking for clean racing, as you hear a lot of the same whinges in chat all the time, you would all be familiar with this. Actually gathering them together and having a clean race may be a challenge however.
  2. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

I occasionally put it on the ROOZ FB main page... but conscious of not spamming..
    I can confidently say I am a firm advocate of ACC and want to promote it as loudly and as often as I can, but last night certainly makes it a challenge and again showed me it's not ready for prime time.

Lap one of the race last night I realised ACC had screwed me and put my Qual setup back on :(
    So I tried to go to pits and fix but was all flustered I hit pits to fast so got a penalty for that... so rage quit after that...

It's twice where it's done that to me now... revert back to my previous setup... last time I was like hmm maybe my mistake?
    I'm 1000% sure that I loaded right one as I double checked fuel/tire pressures 3x before clicking drive... I even made a point of double checking I had the right fuel after my last few put too little in...

Though Interestingly I clicked drive and it blinked and put me back into the main menu where I had to click drive again... if it happens again I will know next time to then check setup again... Will have to check logs next time as well if there is anything there that shows that.
  3. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Currently with ACC its more to test if its fully league ready and see what interest there is, once we will start full seasons on it we will promote a bit more through AC forums/steam etc but dont want to go to spam levels either.

I can host regular thursday night fun runs and do a bit more promotion for these and try get a few more onboard. But having the servers visible and open to high restrictions will help encourage some more to find us. Just using these servers will usually find a few more that jump on and if the racing is good they will look at maybe joining some scheduled races or even full seasons once we have them. The actual rating level may need to be adjusted as the code changes in AC.

To be league ready firstly we need a way to at the very least read the results files and use something like simresults or another log tool to turn it into a useable format. This will likely be evolved officialy a bit still and its probably why nobody has incorporated the ACC results yet.

Also basic things like seeing users own pings and at least admins to see all pings in server though it should be visible to all. The driving model is great and the weather etc but the rest still needs a fair bit of polish.

I dont think ACC is quite ready for main Monday league status, the AC numbers were down quite low last season. But not all the guys that raced there are running much ACC yet. I dint know what the next season will be yet and in which sim so we will need to get onto that fairly soon.

If there is still interest in AC we will run another in that. If it goes to ACC we will need to find a way to get those results at the very least.
    Is it possible you did the old save inatead of load trick? Really awkward method they use for setup saving and loading. Not sure why it cant just be 1 window with load, save, delete and rename as single buttons.
  4. Rolz

Pretty certain... been burnt too many times before over saving a setup and not loading one...
    Even double checked under My Docs when I rage quit that my 1hr setup still was right and I hadn't done the save instead of load...
  5. gratulin

gratulin Rookie

Why is it that GTS is so popular here? Multiple divisions etc.
  6. Mat Nipperess

Mat Nipperess Rookie

Had a lot of fun last night. Really polite and clean racing. So different to what I'm used to in online racing. Can't wait for some more racing in the future. Thanks for putting it on, @Rolz and @marty
    marty likes this.
  7. mesafto

mesafto Rookie

Enjoyed last night! Thanks @marty for hosting etc
    I remember passing one Nipperess, then thought i had ground hog day, another Nipperress appeared. I guess your brothers!
    Mat Nipperess likes this.
  8. Rolz

Might be worthwhile getting a list of names we race in ACC to what our names in here are...

Rolz - R.Schmid
  9. Chris Nipperess

Chris Nipperess New Recruit

Thanks for the race last night guys, was good fun. First go at the fun run and it was great!
  10. Chris Nipperess

Chris Nipperess New Recruit

Yep! Ganging up on you :p
  11. SteveDrivingSlowly

S.DrivingSlowly here
    Rolz likes this.
  12. Rolz

because consoles :roflmao:
  13. SteveDrivingSlowly

Agree that spam not a good idea. In my opinion, repetition in one channel without adding any new value is spam. But broadening/widening the channels used and appropriately regular and genuinely useful posting that is never just annoying repetition is a great way to connect with and 'activate' new people.

Would be happy to help with this (strategy, scheduling, ideas, writing etc) if you need.

I'm very aware this may not be the goal - and not bothered either way - just a possibility is all.
  14. nanlatt

nanlatt ACC Server Legend Gold Member

nanlatt - N.Lattanzio
    Rolz likes this.
  15. Rolz

There is a fine balance between spraying it out everywhere and getting every tom dick and harry on that has no idea on how to drive other than using other cars as bumper cars... I'm def not an elitist and want to help anyone that has an interest to improve their race craft... but I've seen it in another league a big race night was organised and ended up being a bit of a gong show... too many ppl jumping on for the first time ever and having no idea... the experience wasn't what we all wanted.
    I'd prefer to promote the nightly online community and to join in and then from in there spread the hey funrun on X night...
    that way u have those nights to get people up to speed with how to navigate the game, what settings do what etc etc...
    There are certainly enough of us on most nights to race and share info with...
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  16. Rolz

In saying all that... It would be good to put a video of some of our night racing on the ROOZ FB page... I find sharing video content on FB is watched more and has a high engagement than a link to YouTube... Then form there share that to the Aussie Simracing FB pages
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  17. SteveDrivingSlowly

Absolutely - you'd get so much value out of a simple highlights video shared across a few of the available channels.
  18. gratulin

gratulin Rookie

:confused: Yeah. Sort of figured that. But AC on consoles doesn't have the same following. Perhaps all the console players already pay for online pass for other games so are getting the multiplayer as part of that already sunk cost. I was actually wondering if the realism of ACC gets in the way of accessibility for casual online racing.

The reason I am asking is that I need to upgrade my PC to run ACC in multiplayer. It is not drivable with my current 35fps online. For the cost of new GPU, CPU, MB I can get a few PS4s :cry:

PS. I don't even need to worry about triple screen since ACC doesn't support them!
  19. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

Well I tried to race last night but alas ACC decided not to let me. At first I had been having a few net issues but managed to sort it out. I got in with enough time for a couple of laps at the end of qualy and all looked good. I dropped onto the track in my position at the start and waited for the rolling start to commence - but it never did! I sat there for a couple of minutes with no connection loss message and all cars around me but the race never started for me. Finally jumped out in disappointment and found my net seemed to be fine. Not sure what the heck happened but I haven't seen that one before. I'm in no doubt this sim is a long way from league readiness. Fun runs are fine though.
  20. marty

marty AC Server Legend

The coming Thursday fun runs we will run 2x30 minute races at Silverstone. Is everyone able to make an 8:30pm EST start or maybe even 8pm to allow this to not finish too late for some. Will be 10 min qualy and 30 min races.

I will start a fun run thread in the main AC section as its looking likely the next season will be in ACC though still a few weeks away from starting.
    nanlatt, Rolz and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.