IRACING Getting an iRacing 2 League Started? - Ideas discussion

Discussion in 'Community Events' started by racerman13, Aug 26, 2011.

1. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

I dont mind how we work it. But with the NTM to learn it might be a stretch to do it this week. I dont mind if we have some back to back weeks to prevent you from having to open your wallet Davey. :D
  2. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    :lol: nah it's all good mate I'm overdue and keen for a new pack of content. I'll have to buy the Star Mazda anyway so might as well make it a six pack (and save my current $15 cred for hosted sessions etc).
    Any ideas for what you guys would wanna do next? I could line up another car in this purchase.

I will be absolutely at square one with this car... you'll have nothing to worry about from me while you adjust to the NTM!
  3. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Have you driven the Riley DP, Dave? It was a nice drive on its OTM ... heaps of torque ... beautiful power delivery ... progressive, and easy to understand. If the NTM sits well with it (I haven't tried it), she will be a magnificent peddle, imho. However, I haven't tried nearly as many rides as the other blokes here, and they may well have other suggestions ... still, something to consider :)

Nice feeling to be buying a 6-pack, huh! Get into, mate! :D
  4. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Sweeet. Nah I haven't driven the Riley but have been eyeing it up for ages; put it off on account of it being on the OTM... but now with the NTM it sounds like a done deal!
  5. Neishy

Neishy Rookie

PSN ID
    NOS_neishy4a-gte
    hey, does anybody have Bonus' email address? I'm buying Iracing now and want to put him down as my referall.
  6. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    I just done some laps in the Star Mazda on the NTM. Brilliant. (and don't take long to get used to)

Also done a lap or two in the Riley Prototype. The thing felt friggin awesome, gonna go have a bat right now.

Also tried the mazda cup cars. friggin awesome.

Also tried the legend, couldn't notice much difference tbh, surprisingly, considering i drove it all week.

Tried the Skip, mildly different, but all good.

PS, I achieved an iRacing milestone that I'm pretty stoked about during week 13. My first ever outright pole position. Jefferson revese. :) thought I'd chuck that in there.
  7. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

Beau you mean pole over everyone in iracing? well done. But the quali does get reset each day in week 13 :D

Koastr you might want to get the V8 as that will eventually go on the NTM and im sure we will all get stuck into it when that happens.

The Lotus 79 is a blast too!!

You might want to pick up some tracks too.
  8. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Cheers guys. Grats Beau.

Yea I like the look of the lotus but hear it's pretty hard to get a race. I would probably have more luck in the Riley and might hold out on the v8 until it gets the NTM.

Nieshy I'll send you a PM.

Thinking about race nights again, since iRacing tracks change on Tuesday, Wednesday nights would almost defeat the purpose of doing the iRacing schedule in advance. Sunday would be the go. Unless we could do Monday nights, it would be 7-7.30 before I could get on (10-10.30 EDST) making a late finish for you east coasters. Only other trouble is numbers with GTLOZ/GT5 events also on these nights.

Let me know which way (even or odd) you want the schedule to go and I'll get my purchase through tonight or tomorrow so at the very least I can get practising in the new car.
  9. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    im easy. but oultan park is good
  10. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Beau ... mate, congrats ... that IS a milestone! And don't be worryin' about "chuck"ing it in here, either ... I'm always up for hearing how my 'sim-family' are faring ... if it were me, I'd be mailing you all a commemorative T-shirt, with the tabled qually times on the back, and "Check-Out My Monster Pole" on the front ;)

Love your work, Dave ... regs and info. are great ... and I love the consensus forming on a single-lap qually :cool:

Hedging towards Sunday, are we? And if "odd" schedule gives us a little more time to organise ... sure ... why not! And Wk6 ... some of us will already have (shareable) setups for Oulton, Spa, Sebring, Watkins ... or we can all run blind at Phillip Is., or Brands, or Mosport, or someplace else ... we can lock it in down at a later date*.

So recapping, my votes are for ... Sunday ... Odd Schedule ... no preference for event start-time ... and Brands GP for Wk6.

* If we pick the last track AFTER Dave has bought his 6-pack, then the option is there to run a track we all own (i.e. from the base content) ... Oky, or Summit, or Charlotte Road
  11. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Sunday is the main GT5 league race, if you are thinking of going that way i don't think you will be getting numbers from RaceOnOz to help fill the room. Some may have given up on GT5 but we still have 3 divisions running 14 drivers and i'm still enjoying the racing we are getting out of the series, so I won't be able to participate if its ran on a Sunday. Iracing is great and a league will get up and going and get numbers eventually but I wouldnt like it too be at the expense of what has made this community what it is. For starters can you try another day, Thursday should suit most for all the reasons you have mentioned so far, time to get used to weekly track, and its a good practice for the Iracing schedule race.
    Im a bit disappointed some have not considered the Sunday league when making their preference for race day known, every one who has organised race events and alternate series in the passed has left Sunday night alone, now the first RaceOnOz Iracing league picks that time slot, its like you are snubbing your nose at those that still like the close racing the GT5 league provides. I know a lot of the GT5ers wont be Iracing but some are thinking of getting it if we get race a league up and going.
  12. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

Bonus, I don't think the day is set in stone yet, obviously we only have 4 ppl signed up at the moment and we have all retired from the gt5 league so its not a problem for us. If changing days allows the gt5 competitors to compete, then I am all for it. Also I am home 99% of the time through the week, but not necessarily as often on the weekends.

Also I prefer starting a little later, so something like 9:30/10pm on a weeknight is good for me (6:30/7pm WA time). But I know some guys like to start work early :S, so that could be a little late.
  13. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

We hear ya, Bones. +1 on most of Dusty's post.

10.00pm to midnight during the week isn't ideal for me (I get up at 05.30), BUT ... once every 2 weeks, I should be alright. Still, if we don't do Sunday, both Fri and Sat nights are still better for me personally than week days, but I am really most interested in aligning our league with the iRacing schedule ... for me, our league is a fabulous tool to prep for runs on the public servers, and while I'm having a hoot cruising around with you fellas, I'd love to maximise that advantage.

Dave has suggested Wed. as the alternative ... do we have a show of hands for Wednesdays?
  14. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Bonus mate, I understand your concern but rest assured due consideration is being given to not stepping on any toes and opening up opportunitities for those still racing in the Sunday GT5 league to get involved with this iRacing series as well. There is no "nose-snubbing" mate. Surely my on-going efforts in admin for the GT5 league despite non-participation attest to this.

In fact, we'd love to accomodate participation by as many Rooz members as possible. :)

Wednesday's have been considered from the outset, Monday's are also being considered (see quotes below). It's just that I'm limited in terms of start time availability during the week, with the 3hr time difference that makes it a bit complicated. But surely, if it's the last option, both series can co-exist on the same night. It wouldn't really be fair to those of us that have retired from GT5 racing to ask us not to run a series at all...

Friday/Saturday.. mmm I can't see myself committing to those nights.. A very high chance I'll be too drunk to drive - probably not great nights for alot of socialites!

15. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

Its the damn daylight savings stuffing up the week days. How flexible is your job Dave? Can you shoot off at 4 or something if you started an hour or so earlier? Maybe do that on race days and us easties who like to get up early (not me) will be able to get some sleep.
  16. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Sorry for the snubbing comment, it wasn't meant to offend anyone, just thought you might be able to find another time slot form the Gt5 league race, Koaster we all appreciate your big, almost solo, efforts in keeping the Gt5 league going for us and doing it even when not participating any more. Thats part of the reason I would like any other series ran at a different time to the majority participant event. I would also like some of the rooz members who have pc's to join in and help make it a 40 plus participant race, a rooz league would be more enticing than the iracing sanctioned events because of race choice and a you are with a group of drivers you know. I appreciate the difficulty in getting a suitable time and if Sunday is the only day that suits then you must go for it to make sure it happens now. I'm sure you can get some others to participate from the iracing forums and fill the fields once you get the message out there. I by no means would want you not to have a league at all, in fact I think it is going to be a lot of fun, over 40 drivers you know wont turn on you in a race would be great, I also want to be a part of it, but not giving up on the great Gt5 racing we got going here just yet.
  17. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Bud ... not even close to causing offence ... if you can't speak your mind and voice your ideas/concerns here, where the hell can you do it! ;)

We want what you want, Bones ... the most fun for the most people :)
  18. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    No probs Bones :D It's good to have your input too.

I totally agree with your sentiments; alternative time slot and large grids would be ideal. If we can run on a weeknight there's already 16 Rooz iRacers alone (here and here), enough to make this a great series without any new drivers. Plus Neishy should be adding to this list shortly.

We just need to get confirmation of interest so we can settle on a day that suits all..
    Beau, what about your mate James Hart; I don't think he really checks the forum do you wanna talk to him?

Flexibilty - it's a tough one. The missus and I both travel into town together, and her hours aren't really flexibile. I may be able to sort something that gets me ready 30mins earlier. Especially since it's just fornightly.

It will be easier to manage when daylight savings finishes and the time difference is only 2hrs instead of 3.
  19. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Hey been thinking again, seeing as the Iracing season has begun, do what is right for you guys this season, you can do all the testing stuff for an Iracing league and still have the benefit of helping out your practice for this season. Can work on a time and format that suits the rest of us for the next season, no need to rush into it I guess, we have waited this long.
    I just got my B licence Yee Harr, I will be doing a lot more in the v8's this season, one race on a Saturday during the day with some US guys keen to get official races going and probably the early Monday night race. I will look at getting the car and tracks for your series as i go so probably worth sorting out all the hosted session stuff for a bit to get it right.
    The Hosted V8 chaos night Monday night had some problems, but the practice run i did with them on Saturday night was fine. It may have been the fact there was 10 of us Saturday and 42 on the Monday. Had My first run with VanGissy, kept up with him for a little bit too, (pit exit then he was gone)
  20. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday, Late, Early, Either way I'm happy. (I too have to rise early for work, but I have the ability sleep-work)

Sunday would be the most ideal for Dave, and considering the effort he is putting in around here, I think his preference should be strongest considered.

Besides Dave, Dusty, Chris, Bones and myself.. who else from Rooz actually uses iRacing? I know a few more have tried it, but chucked it in pretty quickly.