GT Academy 2016 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by skywalker, Jul 5, 2016.

1. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    Only 18 going thru? The nissan website still says 20
  2. StigsTC

StigsTC Professional

PSN ID
    StigsTC
    2 wildcards entries also but I'm unsure how that all works out.
  3. natmanscoop

natmanscoop Professional Gold Member

I'd practice with ABS off in GT6, and maybe a hint of rear Toe-out so you're used to the rear moving on turn-in.
    StigsTC likes this.
  4. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    I've got to drive that pile of crap AGAIN?!?

Huge congrats Stigs, bloody fantastic.

Judging from what you guys are saying I'm not liking my chances of being able to even attempt to have a go due to my marshalling duties, which is a shame but I'm ineligible again anyway. Still if I can try I'll give it my all!

Anything to report on force feedback? In the past they've put it on beginner and mimimum settings so it feels more numb than butter.
    StigsTC likes this.
  5. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    @Bryan_F said the pedals being used were the budget plastic standard t300 ones with 2 pedals
  6. StigsTC

StigsTC Professional

PSN ID
    StigsTC
    Jono - show up if you can and get a feel for the pressure of having to deliver in 4 laps. Was seriously interesting out there and honestly I didn't feel it until I realised I was in a place to finish well.
    Also do it for your own self-belief, show up and give it your all and you will know that when the time comes next year you'll be certain you can pull it off.
    FFB was set to 5 strength 8 sensitivity, and the T300 on GTS felt super light and the feedback was really choppy and confusing. Randomly uppingand downing the force constant lock so I suspect the game needs work, as the T300 should not have felt so alien for feedback and so weak considering it was set to 5. I usually run 1 force 10 sensitivity and it felt heavier than that.
    Pedals were T300 pedal, but they were definitely better than DFGT pedals so anyone having a whinge about that is just finding excuses.
    The seating position had you looking up at the screen, with the pedals on a massive angle so if you are using pedals on the floor find a way to angle them up so you don't feel weird when you sit in for the first time.
    For anyone planning to attend, Nat/Bryan are right, you had to be there on opening, and you had to be there all day to get multiple runs, and the multiple runs saw times tumble. I was super pissed when I saw guys were doing 4th runs when I'd been told I couldn't, and was genuinely expecting to get toppled as guys improved with extra runs.
    The 6 pods move through so slowly a queue of 20 people is 45mins to an hour.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    The_Spectre and natmanscoop like this.
  7. cola1001

cola1001 Rookie

Well done stig was standing in front of you guys in the line at first attempt of 4 laps ( guy with blue hat and Canada jumper) first time on wheel for me and only put one lap in without spinning
    warrior2167 and StigsTC like this.
  8. skywalker

skywalker Professional

PSN ID
    S54VED
    Well done stigs! Thanks for the info guys, one of my fav combos :)

And Jono definitely give it a go! I decided to sign up to ardc club so will be heading to smsp to have a crack.

So with 2 days qualifying did they have top 3 from 1 day and top 3 from the today?
    StigsTC likes this.
  9. StigsTC

StigsTC Professional

PSN ID
    StigsTC
    Fed Square "Victoria" event was 1 day only, so it was just top 6 for the day.
    I don't know how the multi-day format will work, but I suspect it'll be best times over the weekend.
    skywalker likes this.
  10. REVO_Bryan

REVO_Bryan Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    SR_BryanF
    I sort of regret not having a third attempt, in hindsight a 1:22 would certainly have been achievable. Ah, when life gets in the way and you have to leave early... Oh well, there's always next year. If the organizers can hear me, please pick Spa next time? ;)
    skywalker and StigsTC like this.
  11. warrior2167

warrior2167 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    warrior2167
    Well done stigs!

I'll probably go on the Friday in Sydney, got to try any get the number 1 time at least.
    StigsTC likes this.
  12. MONSTAR

MONSTAR Team Driver

1st post for me in a long time.
    I was the 5th qualifier but couldn't hang around for the announcement. It was the 1st time I have played a car racing game for maybe 1.5/2 years and was shocked that I had put in a lap good enough to qualify.
    I guess I have to wait for an email or something.
    good luck and job well done to all who made the cut
  13. StigsTC

StigsTC Professional

PSN ID
    StigsTC
    @warrior2167 - shouldn't be hard for you, just make sure to do as many runs as you can. Anyone trying to 1-and-done will get overhauled super hard.
    For some reason most of the pods were in mph for speeds, but one of the pods got swapped to km/h half way through so I'm not sure what was going on there.
    @Bryan_F - a third run would definitely have seen you go to a 22. You're as quick as I am on any given day so I have no doubt you could have made top 6 with a third run.
    @MONSTAR - what was your laptime? I didn't find out the exact times of everyone.

1st place was a 1:21.4 which was just before 4pm and they never gave an exact time.
    2nd place was 1:21.6 which was set about 3:30pm, again no exact time
    3rd place was 1:21.799 - I was standing behind him when he did it.
    4th place was 1:21.897 - My lap.
    5th place was never announced and I didn't hear of a 21.9 so I don't know what the time was.
    6th place told me it was "a 1:22" but I don't know how low. I don't know if the guy who ran a 22.2 on his 2nd run earlier in the day improved or not, but he was definitely a different person to the guy who finished 6th.
    warrior2167 and The_Spectre like this.
  14. MONSTAR

MONSTAR Team Driver

1.22.1xx I think the guy read out. was a scrappy lap made up most of my time in the last half high speed corners
    StigsTC likes this.
  15. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    are you able to change the camera view at all? every photo ive seen shows the front bumper camera, just wondering if thats a coincidence or if its fixed
  16. StigsTC

StigsTC Professional

PSN ID
    StigsTC
    Change camera is mapped to the square button, I saw guys using bonnet cam, in car and bumper cams. The guy who finished 3rd was on bumper/roof cam.
    Handbrake is mapped to circle and Reverse gear is mapped to triangle as usual.
    The_Spectre likes this.
  17. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    Can you do laps without being eligible?

If you can't, I'll just lie or get a fake licence.
    Sam D Blacklock likes this.
  18. REVO_Bryan

REVO_Bryan Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    SR_BryanF
    Anyone can participate. If your time is good enough for a spot in the final and you're ineligible, then the next eligible person gets the spot.
    Crunch likes this.
  19. StigsTC

StigsTC Professional

PSN ID
    StigsTC
    Ultimately its still an event letting you have a crack at GTS Beta, and everyone has always been able to do the TTs just you wouldn't be allowed to go to national finals.
    Anyone who has the chance should give it a go even if only to have a feel of GTS. Best case scenario you qualify, or you qualify while ineligible - but you have proven to yourself that you are fast enough.
    The_Spectre and Crunch like this.
  20. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    anyone who is going tomorrow heard what time the GTA stand opens?

There's early practice sessions on the track from ~0830 but doubt the GTA stand will be open then