GT Sport Season 5 Division 3

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by Hatfield, Sep 25, 2018.

1. T F Eccles

T F Eccles Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    Yeah sorry @Green Terror, not sure what happened, I braked just short of my usual marker but you pulled up way quicker than I expected. I pulled off to redress and that put me at the back where I remained.
    Matthyus and Easyprey007 like this.
  2. Tristan Jones

Tristan Jones Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jonesy82360
    You should continue that throttle control thought and get rid of the TCS crutch ;) ...if you can do it on this car and get used to it then you will surely be set for any car!

TLDR: I'm stoked with second! Awesome race kept me on edge.

I only had one practise session this week, and I was still hit and miss with fast laps. I was only getting 1:46 reliably, any attempt to go quicker resulted in slip ups - though was getting low 45's more often. Stoked to get a 44.5 on my 2nd lap of qually, but kept going to try and improve it - but pushed too hard and only had one more clean lap. Spun out of the hairpin on the last lap and parked up. Turns out @Easyprey007 saw a few of us parked up and wondered if something was wrong...and killed a lap he was up on. Sorry easy! Happy to qualify 6/9 better than 2nd last like last week, 11th/12! I guess hot lapping isn't my thing...?

I gave up on doing a one stop after my practise - even doing 9 laps was causing me to crash. I guess I should have taken it a bit easier - but I usually try and race as fast as possible and see what pits that needs. Thought @Matthyus might be able to get one stop, but I didn't want to risk crashing. Was surprised to see so many racers doing a one stop!

First corner was a bit tight, kudos to @fezza for avoiding me! Tried to keep in close without being close enough to cause trouble early on, and ended up capitalising on others mistakes, putting me into 2nd with a few laps, though @Heyagarn and @Cameron Neane close behind. I was carefully watching gaps to try and see who might be doing 1 or 2 stop pits. As tyres were wearing, I went off on the hairpin just in time to see Easy fly by, resisted temptation to floor it on the way out and kept it steady, still in front of @fezza, but he passed me with Nemo when I pitted next lap - they must have passed Easy too, who I was catching quickly, I like racing on fresh tyres! One off track mishap can kill any advantage though, need to be very alert. Had a great race with Easy chasing him down, and wondered if I would be able to make a move stick on "my" corner - that first 2 stage bend is quite a technical one, and you don't need to kill all your speed at once - just let off a bit to make the first bend and you can then leave it floored until the second apex. I was close enough on lap 11 to see how he was taking the corner, and hoped I was close enough next lap to make it happen. I could have dive bombed the fast left bend after the back straight, but could have easily overrun, and played it safe, knowing my corner was up soon. I wasn't as close as I wanted down the main straight, but have made the move stick so well in the past I knew this was the moment. Turns out I didn't do it as cleanly as I had hoped, and without the background story just looks like a dive bomb. Sorry again Easy! I did end up pulling away easier than I thought I would after getting in front. Now to work on the gap in front, all those one stoppers will be puitting soon! Getting in front of them won't be enough though, as I will have one more stop after theirs.

After getting into second again, and building a 3 second gap back to Nemo and Fezza, I went off. Lapse of judgement, looking around instead of waiting for braking marker - saw I braked 50m late and panicked. Was very lucky to pull it up in the run off area before hitting sand, and just got back on in time for Nemo and Fezza to pass - Fezza ended up 3 seconds in front by the time I pitted - and came out 14 seconds behind him. Didn't see myself catching up by 2 seconds per lap! So went for consistancy, but wanted to use those new tyres to my advantage too. Passed Nemo a few laps later, who copied my previous off on the first bend. Saw I was getting close to Fezza too, he must have been hurting on those tyres, or come off somewhere to lose all that time so quickly. Lap 23 I was starting to get comfortable following, just waiting. Hoping to not go off. Then Fezza overshot the double left before the back straight...and I followed him off, just. I got on the anchors, and with better tyres, I pulled up quicker and turned in. Thanks for not getting back on track right in front of me! Very sporting; bonus points there for that. The next 2 laps I figured I could take it easy and just block, his tyres wouldn't be up to much af an overtaking move. He has pace on me though, so I was kept right on the edge of my seat - and I knew Nemo was within reach of me if I went off too. He pushed really close on the double left on the last lap, I almost overshot...but just held it together. I had to double check I didn't cut the fast left - I didn't btw, the replay looks like I almost did...I shared the still if you want a look at it. I had though I was in for a chance of FL, my optimum time was 0.1 off Johnnos best when I was heading in for my last pit, so I thought with fresh tyres and lower fuel I might get there...not to be, wasn't even thinking about it after the pit - just track position.

What a race! Well done to Johnno for blitzing the field, almost a full minute ahead of the rest of us! He needs to turn TCS off imho...give us all a chance ;) Well done to all the others, Suzuka can be so cruel sometimes, glad I got there this time! Sent @Captain_Risky_21 a msg, to find out I had been jokered...on my equal best result ever, good pick Cap!
  3. T F Eccles

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    Interesting you say that. I was watching @Buster_Danis practice during the week and he uses TCS 3 on this car and was doing 1:43s.

And and apologies to all for the crackling mic issue. Curiously I couldn't hear it. Turns out I grabbed the wrong set, the one that our cat had chewed on a some stage that has caused some minor lead damage. Suffice to say they are in the bin now.
    Matthyus and Tristan Jones like this.
  4. fezza

fezza Team Driver

PSN ID
    FeZZa_21
    Yes it was closing racing that! I lost concentration and went off when I was ahead of you on marshmallow tyres and lost the gap that I had to you otherwise 2nd was all mine. oh well was happy enough getting a podium finish after starting from pretty much last.
    Tristan Jones and Matthyus like this.
  5. fezza

fezza Team Driver

PSN ID
    FeZZa_21
    interesting. I find the TCS choke is too much for this car so turn it off as well.
  6. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    You did well to come back from almost last to nab that podium. Kudos
    fezza likes this.
  7. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    You are right in that with TC on it does flash a bloody crap tonne. But I've done well with it on :)

Maybe :)
    Tristan Jones likes this.
  8. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Pre-Race week
    Suzuka - I know the track, the layout and how to tackle most corners decently well. It is also a very technical track, which suits me. I enjoy racing it.
    In this car though, omg Throttle Control, I couldn't stress this enough for this track. Not once did the car hit top speed, so keeping it clean and tidy were my goals.
    Managed to practice a fair bit during the week, managed to hit low 1.44 with a Opt of 1.43.999 :) , so I was feeling confident in that I would be competitive, but with the missus gearing up to start her home business, we've been re-arranging rooms and I lost several days in relocating my game room to another room, I lost out on several nights of practice.
    On the plus side, I got a bonus this year and went shopping for a 4K TV and PS4 Pro. Very pretty!! and so much faster to play on.
    Pre-Race Prac
    I jumped on a little earlier than normal as I wanted to make sure that my rig and everything was working fine. Managed a few laps, but didn't bother to push to hard to nail lines etc. Good thing I got on early as the bloody TV had an idle timer on it that took up 3/4 of the screen. Lucky that happened during prac!!
    Qual
    I knew from previous races that getting stuck in traffic and breaking free from it is going to be tough, this track doubles that down. I've never taken pole, but I applied some pretty high pressure to myself to make it happen. Make myself hit those apexes and exits just right to hit a damn fine lap.
    Outlap - threw it in the sand after the last chicane... This ruined the next lap as well.
    Lap 3 - Did ok, 5th.
    Lap 4 - Did ok, reduced gap, still 5th.
    Lap 5 - nothing to report here
    Lap 6 - I've never had a better Qual lap than this one. Bought it home with .020 over @Cameron Neane .
    I was a nervous wreck after that lap, but it felt so good. First pole too!!
    NLR lockout Q1 and 2!! Go TEAM!!

RACE
    As above, I knew that I had to go hard and keep out of traffic. I tried something slightly different with my start and got a pretty good run into T1, leading the charge.
    The first few laps, I was abound with nervous energy, as I've never been in first before at the start of a race. I didn't know what to do!!
    I settled those nerves (only a little), and just thought about each corner as it appeared and the next. Making sure I hit my markers, of speed, gear choice and car positioning. I managed to nab the FL from lap 2 / 3 as well.
    To my amazement the gap grew to 10s, then 20s, then 30s.
    Running nice clean lines and not having an off really paid off.
    In my early week practice I was happy with a 2 pit strategy, but as my practice during the week had shown me, the 1 pit I was capable of pulling off as my tyre wear had improved.
    So I stuck to my guns and pitted on lap 12.
    Still 30s odd infront after pits.
    At this point I had held the FL from lap 2/3, but after the pit stops @Cameron Neane had beaten me with a 1.43.XXX and I was like WTF. A 1.43 in D3, no, move up to D2 already :)
    But I took it on and the next lap ( 3 laps after fresh tyres seem to be my best lap) I broke it with my own 1.43.XXX. A PB as well.
    At this point I was 40s, then 50s and with about 5 laps remaining, I look some pressure off and just started to make sure I got home in 1 piece. Lucky I did that as this car gets really squirrely with worn tyres and low fuel.

Pulled over the line with a 53s gap to 2nd.
    So stoked, I've not stopped talking about the win and clean sweep all night and day :)
    It is the first win where I count it as a win, the actual first against @Jcp I don't think counts. I know a win is a win, but this was all me.
    Very happy with the clean sweep to, another first.

With 3 races left, there is 1 point between 1st and 2nd in this division. The race is on!!

I would be remiss not mention the rest of the grid, cause a race did indeed happen!!
    Kudos to @Tristan Jones and @fezza on your podium finishes. The replay shows it was quite a battle.

Looking forward to Le Mans!!
    See you there.
  9. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Round 4 Highlights
    fezza, Tristan Jones and Hatfield like this.
  10. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    Thank you to everyone for making the stewards job easy, with zero protests third week running.

Also thanks again to PAGNIAN for providing the prizes for the last season of the year, 2 x Wheelstand lites valued at $199 each !
    Remember you must race and complete 4 of the 7 rounds to be eligible for the PAGNIAN prize draw at seasons end.

ROUND 5 :
    Circuit de la Sarthe - 28 laps - 07:00 Sunny - 11/11 (Endurance Round)
    [​IMG]

As always please take 2 mins to read the following so you have an understanding of what is expected on race night......If you have any questions, or want clarification on any of the rules or regs please ask !

ROOM OPEN : Most room captains will 'try' to have rooms open by about 7:50 AEDT. Please be on time, or let the room captain or div thread if you may be late. If all agree, the room may wait for you, Within reason. Please remember we have drivers from NZ, and later starts mean a much later night for them.
    QUALIFYING : 8:20 AEDT
    RACE START TIME : 8:30 AEDT

LAG ISSUES / ROOM RESTARTS : This is up to the room host. If there is a Disconnection (or cars stuck on grid) at race start, it is sporting to try to get them back in, which may mean a new room to be set up. I always look at 1 or 2 starts if required due to DSC, but as it gets later everyone needs to be aware of getting things going. Please be as reasonable as you can with this....
    SIGHT ISSUES: Ensure that you can see everyone on track. After qualifying, exit to lobby and spend 30 seconds in spectate mode, scroll through the list of drivers on track and make sure that you can see their car. If you can't see somebody (and they are confirmed as being on track), exit the lobby, re-join, and check again. It can also be done pre-qualifying to save time if there is no chance of latecomers.

FALSE START CHECK : Please note that the start type is Grid Start with False Start Check
    Please practice this so you know what to expect. Simply, you hold the brakes on until the lights go from all lit, to none lit

TURN 1 LAP 1 : This has the potential to ruin someones night if we don't use our heads ! Should be everyone's goal to get through the first phase with ZERO contact. Give room and run in your 'lane' till you have space to run the normal race line. This is especially dangerous in our Group C Monster. Turn 2 & 3 will be the tricky ones lap 1. Luckily there is run-off but please be careful of rejoining the track and of those rejoining. If your unassisted tap causes someone to spin, you need to redress.

TRACK LIMITS : As we are running with 'track limit penalties" OFF, we will run with our usual Raceonoz track limit regulations. This means you MUST have at least 2 wheels on the ripple strip OR white line that defines the track limit. If you do make a mistake and have to run outside the limits, be aware that you are not allowed to gain any advantage.
    We have many places at Le Mans where track limits need to be respected. Dunlop Curve on the inside, Dunlop chicane, the right at the esses, Tertre Rouge, the chicanes on the back straight, Mulsanne corner, Corvette curves, and the Ford chicanes!!

CONTACT : Is to be avoided at all times..... If you rear end someone and gain an advantage, YOU ARE EXPECTED to give the spot back. Side by side 'rubbing' is racing, within reason, but all drivers are expected to give racing room.
    If you bump someone and they end up off track or teleport back to the corner entry, you must wait for them to rejoin and get back up to speed.
    Show each other RESPECT! It is difficult enough to drive this car at the limit on your own, without someone squeezing you within a millimeter of the grass.
    So be patient and show respect to your fellow driver and enjoy that screaming GrpC engine when it hits those beautiful notes

TYRES : You must start on the Racing Super Soft Tyre. After that, any Racing Tyre is allowed.

PIT ENTRY : Drivers MUST make an attempt to use the pit entry / exit lines. If you run into the pits too quickly, and cut the entry to the pits, the game can make you 'drive through' without stopping, so please practice clean entries.
    PIT EXIT : Please use the pit exit lane and be aware of cars approaching down the straight.
    NOTE: Pitting is NOT compulsory

BLUE FLAGS : Please observe blue flags, and move out of the way of faster cars if you are being lapped. Failure to observe blue flags WILL result in a penalty

STEWARDS GROUP AND RACE PROTESTS : This season the stewards will be will be @Hatfield @JonoStan96 @Viperzed & @emmo46. If you have reason to protest, please SAVE YOUR REPLAY, and then let us know via a PM.
    DO NOT BLOW UP IN THE FORUM OR IN THE ROOM CHAT. There have been multiple incidents where the replays from drivers have been different, so its true that sometimes things are not as black and white as they may seem. You have until MIDNIGHT, Monday night to register your protest via PM. We will ask for video evidence from both drivers or room captain to make any decision.
    Last round we again had 0 protests which is what we want to see, so please keep up the good respect!

SAVE YOUR REPLAY : If the room host can ask all drivers to save their replay would be good before exiting the room.....once they exit out and the option goes, it cant be retrieved !

ENDURANCE ROUND: This race will be double the length we run for the other rounds, so concentration and consistency is key especially as the race rolls on. Also, stay hydrated haha

FINAL NOTE: Could all drivers please confirm their attendance for this Sunday by 'liking' this post in your division. If you are unable to attend, please post in reply as much in your division. This way we can figure out our reserves in advance
    Heyagarn, scottb721, fezza and 3 others like this.
  11. T F Eccles

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    I'm out this week. Good luck to those racing, looking forward to the highlight vids.
    Easyprey007 and Matthyus like this.
  12. Green Terror

Green Terror New Recruit

Hey guys I'm out for this week haven't been on the track yet and working most of tomorrow...
  13. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    4 in, 2 out thus far
  14. VARDZ

VARDZ World Champion

PSN ID
    HTO_VARDZ_99
  15. Rumbleshorts

Rumbleshorts Jonno

I have missed too many rounds so dropping from the remainder of the series. Good luck.
  16. Hatfield

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    no need to give up due to lack of prior attendance... get in there! it is a cracking car, especially at le mans
  17. Heyagarn

Heyagarn Rookie

PSN ID
    Heyagarn
    It is a hard decision between Le Mans or cricket, but I will race tonight. Just hope we can see out this decent total!
    Tristan Jones and Matthyus like this.
  18. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Round 5 Results - Endro
    Qual
    [​IMG]
    Race Results / Timings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    VARDZ - DSC - 3.22.491
    Easyprey007 likes this.
  19. Tristan Jones

PSN ID
    Jonesy82360
    So maybe TCS is beneficial in this car? I accidently ran TCS1 in qualifying, and took a few seconds off my lap time. Perhaps now is the time to start experimenting properly again, no holds barred, pride be damned.

The only practise I managed this week was one pits worth after getting kids to bed...and before they woke up again. Was glad to get back into the seat 10 mins before race start. That was enough to tell me I didn't need to 3 stop, 2 stop was working, though I saw I had 0.6 laps left at end of 9 laps. 5 laps in to the race I still didn't know what I was going to do about finsding that last lap of fuel. After pitting I figured I would start experimenting with shortshifting - so I started shortshifting, and checked 4 laps in, hoping I had more than 5 laps left - i had 6, so figured I could back off and go back to normal shifting. Little did I know but this must have been the time when my wheel changed my fuel from 1 to 2...I finished my stint of 10 laps - with 2 laps of fuel still in tank. Congratulated myself on my efficient driving - but figured I needed to start utilising the extra fuel again. The auto fill only wanted to fill to 3/4 of a tank - I overuled it filled all the way - made that mistake before. At lap 26 of 28, when I set another personal best lap, I checked my splits - and in doing so, scrolled past fuel, and saw I was on fuel 2 - and realised why I still had half a tank of fuel with a couple laps to go. By this point however, I had adjusted to some later braking points - and now discovered I had to psuh them earlier again. Didn't think light fuel was making that much difference! Looking back on the race I had been wondering why my braking suddenly seemed more effective, after getting some good points worked out.

I had a similar moment when checking fuel after first pit stop, and discovered I was using TCS1 - I then realised why my qually lap times were a couple seconds better than my practise times. I almost turned it straight off again...but swallowed my pride and kept it on. Resisted temptation to experiment with TCS2 though. This explained the difference in driveability...

As to the race...had an exciting but inconsistant start, leading for a little while but couldn't hold it, well done to @Cameron Neane. I stayed in front for a little while, that drafting helps lots! Nemo was able to overtake me again a lot quicker than I was overtaking him. After the exciting start to the race, @Easyprey007 settled into a pace 5-10 seconds in front of me, and the gap just grew. I thought if only I can stay on the track I will catch him when he slips up sooner or later - not to be though, as he pulled further an dfurther away. I now wonder what might have happened if I had have been using more fuel. @Heyagarn was right on my tail for a long time, threatening to pounce if I slipped up, but the gap eventually grew, I assume from a couple of mistakes, as gap grew in sudden increments - Easy, Hey and I seemed to have a fairly similar pace, kept a bit of excitement and tenseness in an otherwise lonely end of the race. I did have a few minor offs, 2 of them cost me around 5-10 seconds each, and a handful of 1-2 second mistakes, but I had a fairly incident free race. I did struggle for a while with braking points...figuring it was my own incompetance...but later worked out fuel may have played a part too...

I did cut/ overun the corner at the entry to the main straight 4-5 times - but everytime i did a lift. Hurt to lift, especially at the start of a long straight - and a few times I found i lifted too much, the 6 second gap back to @scottb721 became 4, so I worked out just a quick lift completely off and staright back on was plenty. Cut it pretty fine a few other times later in the race, but think I was fine. The gap in front and behind didn't seem to change so I didn't lift - it will be interesting to have a look for myself on my replay though. Those times later in the race wouldn't have made much difference anyway, but the earlier times could have had an effect on others racing, seeing 2 second increase/ decrease in gap - so I figured better do the right thing.

How did everyone else go with track limits??

Video to follow...

Congrats again to the podium!
    Matthyus, Easyprey007 and Hatfield like this.
  20. Tristan Jones

PSN ID
    Jonesy82360
    So to those who missed it, ROOZ had a Kart day on the weekend - it was great to put a face to some names, and meet some racers from other games - I'll post a highlights video on the thread for the day at if anyone wants a look - https://www.raceonoz.com/forums/index.php?threads/rooz-kart-day-qld-10th-nov.3363/page-6#post-182685

Definitely worth coming next year if you get a chance! Unreal racing, those karts turn in so hard, you need to leave it right to the last second to brake - looks slower on the footage of course!

https://ibb.co/jbf6dV
    [​IMG]
    Easyprey007 likes this.